Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phil Anselmo and Pantera

Go down 
+16
powermacho
James B.
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
manny
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
sam
mc666
Schbopo
Stender
DallasBlack
Lurideath
EvyMetal
Troublezone
fingers
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:35 am

"Power Metal" is a great disc.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Me too, however, being the cynic that I am, I have to agree with MC's "exploitative" statement. When the bank accounts start to dry up, just wait and see how quick Vinnie goes into the archives and throws these together on his Big Vin record label. You know, for the fans. Rolling Eyes

Wait till the next "Hellyeah" record tanks. Then suddenly we'll see "Big Vin Presents: PANTERA: THE EARLY YEARS" box set, with all four discs remixed, remastered, repackaged, with a Dimebag memorial guitar pick, a patch, a DVD, and a photo book.

Quote :

Yeah, it is. If Vin's gonna reissue any of the early Panteras, it should be that one.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Me too, however, being the cynic that I am, I have to agree with MC's "exploitative" statement. When the bank accounts start to dry up, just wait and see how quick Vinnie goes into the archives and throws these together on his Big Vin record label. You know, for the fans. Rolling Eyes

Wait till the next "Hellyeah" record tanks. Then suddenly we'll see "Big Vin Presents: PANTERA: THE EARLY YEARS" box set, with all four discs remixed, remastered, repackaged, with a Dimebag memorial guitar pick, a patch, a DVD, and a photo book.

Quote :

Yeah, it is. If Vin's gonna reissue any of the early Panteras, it should be that one.

Oh great, the "Hot N Heavy Home Vid" will see the light od day again Laughing very hard .

Sad thing is, id buy that set
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:39 am

DeathCult wrote:

Sad thing is, I probably would too. Laughing

Oh, wait, I forgot... the fifth BONUS CD in the Pantera box set would probably be the demos for the second Damagaplan album that never got released. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:39 am

mc666 wrote:
for some reason, it's become hip to claim how much better Pantera were in their glam days. i thought they sucked then too. they've always sucked. they were trend chasers from beginning to end. nothing more.

I didnt say they were better, most of it is still pretty lame. Just a few songs I like out of the era.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:40 am

DeathCult wrote:

I didnt say they were better, most of it is still pretty lame. Just a few songs I like out of the era.

"Pu$$y tight! To-NIGHT!" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:41 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

"Pu$$y tight! To-NIGHT!" Laughing very hard

Guess thats why he went to the movies. Laughing
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:44 am

I always thought how interesting it was that a young teen age Anselmo wanted to be Halford. Then the post Priest Halford wanted to be the psuedo-tough Anselmo.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:47 am

the bonus disc will be early footage of Pantera from The Bronco Bowl in Dallas, Savvy's in Fort Worth, and Rascals down by the river bottom in Arlington.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:52 am

DeathCult wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

Oh great, the "Hot N Heavy Home Vid" will see the light od day again Laughing very hard .

EDIT: From October 2007. True then, just as true today

I can read the press release already...

"After many years, we've (me & a team of lawyers) decided that we want to honor my brother's legacy as a true guitar hero and clean out the vaults. Because ,YOU, the fans demanded it, we are re-releasing all of Pantera's recorded material, even the faggy-glam stuff. The albums will come with all new art work to replace that crappy panther that my 4-yr old nephew drew and contain all the regular tracks, plus some poorly recorded demos, live material from our momma's basement, Dime belching into a mic and anything else we can come up with. This ain't about money. It's about my brother's legacy. The re-issues will be available for sale in regular cd-format, super-duper digi packs, ultra-deluxe 4 cd/3 dvd box set, A,E, I, O and , U-tunes, and some other bizzarre format that hasn't even been invented yet".

And you know what? I'll be right there to buy 'em.

Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 8:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

EDIT: From October 2007. True then, just as true today

I can read the press release already...

"After many years, we've (me & a team of lawyers) decided that we want to honor my brother's legacy as a true guitar hero and clean out the vaults. Because ,YOU, the fans demanded it, we are re-releasing all of Pantera's recorded material, even the faggy-glam stuff. The albums will come with all new art work to replace that crappy panther that my 4-yr old nephew drew and contain all the regular tracks, plus some poorly recorded demos, live material from our momma's basement, Dime belching into a mic and anything else we can come up with. This ain't about money. It's about my brother's legacy. The re-issues will be available for sale in regular cd-format, super-duper digi packs, ultra-deluxe 4 cd/3 dvd box set, A,E, I, O and , U-tunes, and some other bizzarre format that hasn't even been invented yet".

And you know what? I'll be right there to buy 'em.

LOL................ Laughing very hard Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Today I got my first Pantera album, after years of knowing the band, I found a new copy of cowboys from hell for 5 bucks. To be honest I would never buy a copy from this band, their music is not enduring, and memorable
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 7:29 am

mc666 wrote:
for some reason, it's become hip to claim how much better Pantera were in their glam days. i thought they sucked then too. they've always sucked. they were trend chasers from beginning to end. nothing more.

I don't think they chased any trends in the 90's when grunge ruled and metal was not cool. They played their brand of metal when others went soft... Also how was power groove metal a trend when they made CFH? They had their own style.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 7:37 am

powermacho wrote:
Today I got my first Pantera album, after years of knowing the band, I found a new copy of cowboys from hell for 5 bucks. To be honest I would never buy a copy from this band, their music is not enduring, and memorable

Not memorable? I know it's cool to bash Pantera but to deny the riffs on CFH is a little out there... If you think Cemetery Gates is not a memorable song then it's time to get your ears checked.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 7:41 am

Stender wrote:
Cant stand groove. Cant stand Pantera.

What the hell is music without any groove? Most any good rock or metal bands have some groove in their rhythm.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:02 am

Troublezone wrote:
They had their own style.
really? i thought they borrowed Exhorder's.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:19 am

I don't think anyone on this board is slamming Pantera because it is fashionable, I just think they sincerely donot like them, as for me I am a fan but not a diehard Pantera fan.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:36 am

mc666 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Good point. I think people forget about Exhorder.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 2:09 pm

I enjoy Cowboys from Hell, and some of Vulgar Display of Power, but I find Anselmo's growling grating. They way is true of all the bands that followed and adopted the same style of singing. Not my cup of tea, definitely.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 2:39 pm

The main similarity in Exhorder & Pantera was the vocals. Slaughter in the Vatican was much faster & heavier than anything Pantera ever did, When The Law came out in 93 it was much closer to the groovy side. Having both been from New Orleans & about the same age I have no doubt Phil & Kyle knew each other & who ripped off who's style will forever remain a mystery.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
The main similarity in Exhorder & Pantera was the vocals. Slaughter in the Vatican was much faster & heavier than anything Pantera ever did, When The Law came out in 93 it was much closer to the groovy side. Having both been from New Orleans & about the same age I have no doubt Phil & Kyle knew each other & who ripped off who's style will forever remain a mystery.

Well, Exhorder was definately the better band.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:50 pm

mc666 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I have owned both Exhorder albums and the only similarity i can hear is the vocals. There may have been other slight similarities but Exhorder never blended any southern rock flavor in their riffs like Dimebag and they definately couldn't write a solo worth a crap. The Exhorder influence was not a carbon copy, Pantera developed their own sound.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Hamer12 wrote:

Nicely put.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Quote :
Well, Exhorder was definately the better band.

Power Metal and CFH are better than anything Exhorder did.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm still wondering how they were "trend chasers" mc666? Even if they copied Exhorder, that style was never widespread or popular until Pantera toured around a few years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phil Anselmo and Pantera   Phil Anselmo and Pantera - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phil Anselmo and Pantera
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next