Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth

Go down 
+10
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
DeathCult
manny
Metal Misfit
nevermore
stepcousin
candlemass
jstate
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Empty
PostSubject: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 9:51 pm

So Stepcousin mentioned Metal Shop in the Priest thread and it got me thinking how great a show this was. Charlie "the Butcher" Kendall was the host and was he ever great. He would champion so much great stuff that just wasn't getting played. Warrior Soul was the big one for me. It used to come on Friday nights on my local station. Being in high school I would get home from a night out and religiously catch the 1AM replay. Often I would tape them too (man what we had to do before the internet) and I'm sure somewhere I still have some of those. The intro was classic "m-m-m-m-m-metallll shop....[buzzsaws] ...the only show with teeth".
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:42 pm

I first caught that show around 84 in N.C. when I was in the Marines, great show! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 1:17 am

I spent most of my teenage years living out in the country, Metal Shop was a valuable tool for hearing new bands.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 6:10 am

Yeah, this show was awesome. My buddy used to tape these off the radio. I wish he wouldve kept them.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 5:53 pm

I used to religiously listen to this show every friday night. I got turned on to so many great bands back in the 80's. I miss shows like this and the local metal radio shows.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:13 pm

I liked the original format from the 1940s.

Pabst Blue Ribbon's Metal Shop Hour
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Never got to hear the show which is a shame but it didnot get syndicated where I lived.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:49 pm

I used to listen to Z-Rock Radio on one of the AM stations in Florida when I was in high school...I loved it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 11:54 pm

manny wrote:
Never got to hear the show which is a shame but it didnot get syndicated where I lived.

The radio station that I heard it on (DC101 - back when they didn't suck) used to play alot of hard rock stuff anyway, Metal Shop was the icing on the cake. I remember listening one night and they played "Working Man" (at that point I was only really familiar with Moving Pictures)...hearing Lifeson's solo on that tune was a revelation. I bugged my Mother for about 3 days till she finally relented and drove me to a record store so I could buy it.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 11:58 pm

detuned wrote:
manny wrote:

The radio station that I heard it on (DC101 - back when they didn't suck) used to play alot of hard rock stuff anyway, Metal Shop was the icing on the cake. I remember listening one night and they played "Working Man" (at that point I was only really familiar with Moving Pictures)...hearing Lifeson's solo on that tune was a revelation. I bugged my Mother for about 3 days till she finally relented and drove me to a record store so I could buy it.

Hehe, remember 103 the Underground?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 12:02 am

DeathCult wrote:

No, not that one...I do remember 98 Rock out of Baltimore. There also used to be an underground radio station (remember those?) based out of Morgantown WV...they played the coolest stuff...only radio station in the late 80's where you would hear them play stuff like Uriah Heep, Ten Years After, Golden Earring, etc.

Those were the days. DEATH TO CORPORATE RADIO!!! Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth 47715
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 12:08 am

detuned wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

No, not that one...I do remember 98 Rock out of Baltimore. There also used to be an underground radio station (remember those?) based out of Morgantown WV...they played the coolest stuff...only radio station in the late 80's where you would hear them play stuff like Uriah Heep, Ten Years After, Golden Earring, etc.

Those were the days. DEATH TO CORPORATE RADIO!!! Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth 47715

Yeah, 103 The Underground may have been a little later. I just remember that from being down there along with DC 101 and 98 Rock. Hell, I remember when WMMR up here used to be cool, not anymore. I miss underground stations, and Metal Shop. Damnit.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 8:13 am

Hey, I remember Metal Shop and WMMR. I also remember WYSP; they're probably not cool anymore either.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 9:04 am

I never realized Metal Shop was on for as long as it was, or that DC101 carried it. I first came across it on a local yokel station 97.7 in about '88 that had all the syndicated shows. Hurts that I could have been listening on DC101 long before that.

What do DC101 and 98Rock play these days anyhow?

I loved 103 The Underground. Greatest radio station ever. I think I cried when it became Wrnr.

There was also a low power station (or maybe just coming from outside the area) I would just barely get at 97.1 that at night would have on a thrash show. For some reason I want to say it was also called 97 Underground.

Not only did Charlie the Butcher know his stuff but I had forgotten how cool his voice was.

http://www.charliekendall.com/

Go to the demos and its like a timewarp hearing that voice.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 9:33 am

tohostudios wrote:
Hey, I remember Metal Shop and WMMR. I also remember WYSP; they're probably not cool anymore either.

WYSP now pretty much plays hard rock/metal (the popular stuff anyway) from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, which isn't too bad to listen to, but they repeat the same songs alot. And their morning show is now done by Danny Bonadouchebag sign
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 12:18 pm

I used to listen to Metal Shop friday nights around here on WDVE (back when they were decent). Loved it.Nothing but good stuff on there. I still have a song in my head one of their shows by a band called Widow (I think). It had a female vocalist and the chorus went "sometimes I crawl out of bed and I feel like a son of a bitch"! but that's all I can remember of it
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 12:36 pm

DeathCult wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

WYSP now pretty much plays hard rock/metal (the popular stuff anyway) from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, which isn't too bad to listen to, but they repeat the same songs alot. And their morning show is now done by Danny Bonadouchebag sign

That pretty much sums it up for me. I haven't really listened to WYSP since Howard Stern left. The last time I did hear it was while playing cards at my buddies house, it was just like DC said. Some good tunes, but the same stuff you hear over and over and over again. We had the radio on for 4 or 5 straight hours and in that whole time, I didn't hear a single song that a.) hasn't been played to death or b.) was something that perked up my ears and made me take notice. It was purely background noise.

As for the Metal Shop, I don't really remember it, save for the fact that one of my friend's older sister used to listen to it and she taped it. It was the 1st (and probably only time) I heard W.A.S.P.'s 'Animal' played on the airwaves.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 12:40 pm

I vaguely remember "Metal Shop," I'm sure I must've heard it at some point but cant' remember what New York area station carried it. I'm thinkin' it might have been WNEW-FM. But back in the 80s just about every rock station in this area had their own home-grown metal show late on Friday or Saturday nights anyway. WDHA out of Dover, NJ had (and still has) "Metal Mania," K-Rock used to have "Heavy Metal From Hell," WRTN-FM in New Rochelle had "Midnite Metal" so there was always metal on the airwaves somewhere around here...then in the late 80s Seton Hall's WSOU 89.5 FM went to an all hard rock, all the time format, and we had the syndicated Z-Rock station airing on one of the AM bands... ahhh man, those were the days.

Nowadays the only time I listen to the radio is in the car, where I have it tuned to the AM news station just so I can hear the headlines, or possibly part of the Yankees game. Other than that, radio in this area is a vast corporate crap filled wasteland.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:24 pm

I anyone has some old Z-Rock shows they would burn for me, I would make it worth their while!! Commercials and all - I don't care. Or if you have cassettes, I can transfer them for both of us. Too many great memories with that station. Man, I wish there was something comparable today.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:49 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
I anyone has some old Z-Rock shows they would burn for me, I would make it worth their while!! Commercials and all - I don't care. Or if you have cassettes, I can transfer them for both of us. Too many great memories with that station. Man, I wish there was something comparable today.

Yea, Z-Rock was cool (even though they broadcasted on AM radio around here, which meant how well you received your signal depended on what direction the wind was blowing...hahaha). I went to a couple of shows at L'amour in Brooklyn that were "sponsored" by Z-Rock. Their DJ "Mad Maxx Hammer" came out onstage to introduce the headliners each time and they gave away Z-Rock hats and other crap. Good times.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Z-Rock was on am here, too. But am signals cary 300% further than FM frequencies. On clear nights, I can get am stations from as far as Winnipeg and Chicago!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:53 pm

I have no idea what Z Rock or Metal Shop is. But we did have Pirate Radio in tha hillz weer I'm from. It's where I heard Wrathchild America for the first time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:57 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
Z-Rock was on am here, too. But am signals cary 300% further than FM frequencies. On clear nights, I can get am stations from as far as Winnipeg and Chicago!

...well, maybe I just lived in an area w/sh*tty radio reception back then, haha. But seriously, tuning in Z-Rock was always something of a chore, even though they were broadcasting out of New York City and I wasn't that far from NYC at the time.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:58 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I have no idea what Z Rock or Metal Shop is. But we did have Pirate Radio in tha hillz weer I'm from. It's where I heard Wrathchild America for the first time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Rock

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 2:00 pm

"Crankin' Craig! Haha. What great memories!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth   Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Shop - The Only Show With Teeth
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next