Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)

Go down 
+5
GrandNational
Required Fields
jstate
powermacho
sheets
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Empty
PostSubject: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 3:31 pm

I did a search but nothing came up related to this book, called Heavy Metal Thunder. It's an art book dedicated to metal album cover art. Anyone else have it?

After receiving a copy yesterday, I think it's a nice collection but I wouldn't consider it definitive simply because a lot of my personal favorites weren't included (no Heaven and Hell, Rust In Peace, Rainbow Rising, Sad Wings, etc.), and I was a tad bothered by the fact that except for Derek Riggs and Joe Petagno, *none* of the original artists were mentioned. Ed Repka's name didn't come up a single time that I recall despite a number of his covers being included.

I appreciate the authors' attempt to cover most of the major subgenres but the glam section was mostly a waste because if you've seen one photo of guys with poofy hair and lipstick you've seen most of them, and the final chapter seemed like an unfocused mish-mash of 90s alt-rock/grunge and more recent nu-metal, stoner, and doom (wha?). A little more European power metal art would have been nice also, as the only examples of such I recall are one Helloween cover and one Grave Digger.

A welcome effort but with some flaws.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 3:45 pm

I have the enciclopedia of heavy metal.
It has info from plenty of bands on the heavy metal scene, it is mostly of old school bands, but you see bands like korn or tool. I got it for 20 bucks on a bookstore
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm always tempted to pick this up. The local music store has it for ten bucks. I thumb through it and always put it back. Just doesn't seem that comprehensive. And the alternative stuff seems out of place with the theme of the book. No mentions of Ed Repka is a deal killer for me.

A book of Repka's stuff I would definitely buy.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Yeah, Repka is a great cover artist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 pm

I went through it at the bookstore. Nothing to get excited about, but decent.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 11:26 am

I had...and sold...the Heavy Metal Encyclopedia. I read it straight through once, then sold it.

ARttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 1:10 pm

"HEAVY METAL THUNDER, IT'S HEAVY METAL NOISE!!!!"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 1:11 pm

T-Roy! Where ya been?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:08 pm

I have this book, as well at the Heavy Metal Encyclopedia. If I remember correctly, I purchased them both at the same time cause I had a Barnes & Noble gift card.

I'd pretty much agree with Mr. Sheets accesment. Nice to look at but hardly essential reading.

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)   Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavy Metal Thunder (album cover book)
Page 1 of 1