Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best use of synths in a metal song..

Go down 
+19
MetalRob331
Red Kitty
mc666
INVADERS
metalhead777
SAHB Healer
sam
Required Fields
manny
XYZ
krokus
MetalFRO
Schbopo
Lari
GrandNational
tohostudios
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
plancha7
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 pm

I second everything that detuned has said thenceforth. Except the bit about how he says he's up for trying anything with a carload of Columbian sailors. Homey don't fly that particular route. Nah, detuned is alright in my book. It's a shame that I've lost the damn book though.

I thought I was noticing a wee bit of a trend happening in Metal a few years back, but it just turned out to be a figment of my imaginings. It was just me and the pygymy pony over by the lonely dental floss. My tweezers gleeming in the moonlight.

DIO's Killing The Dragon album had organ, starring in a role sparingly used. A few tracks had the organ, with an organ solo standing in for the typical guitar solo, har and thar. Not only did it sound awesome, but it was a breath of fresh air ta boot. I was gunning for Mr. Dio to change the landscape. Poodle bites, C'mon Frenchie, poodle chews it, not a speck of cereal.

DOWN's second album, aptly entitled - II, also had touches of organ har and thar. I don't know if it was just me, but I was diggin' the stuff which was closer to beign ova here, than ova there. Eh, I'm ova here now. But, that's just me though.

Now, there should have been another organ-tilted title to fit in right here, but I don't know what that might be. I know that they get some ample usage from the Hammond and Fender Rhodes in the Indie and Garage Rock genres, but not so much in the way of Hard Rock and Metal. A few of us should get together and put together a 'Rainbow' type Rock outfit. Show them all a thing or two.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 1:52 am

Marc, check out this album:

Spiritual Beggars - On Fire

Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 F53628xbvry

They have a full-time organist in the band, a nice combination of Sabbath/Purple/Whitesnake influences.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:12 am

Candlemass-Gothic Stone/Well of Souls.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Dio - Sacred Heart is another song with good use of synths.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Dio - Sacred Heart is another song with good use of synths.

Good one. Really, anytime DIO uses synths it is in good taste, IMO.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Too many for me to mention (since everybody is including keyboards with synths). However, an album that really stuck in my mind and had a great use of keys (though most fans of this band didn't like it) was Pestilence-Spheres. I believe it nicely accented their already unique death metal.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 1:51 am

detuned wrote:
Marc, check out this album:

Spiritual Beggars - On Fire

They have a full-time organist in the band, a nice combination of Sabbath/Purple/Whitesnake influences.

Whoah, son. You know me, man. You - know - ME! You know what's best for a brother. You've always know what was best for me, and I never wanted to listen to you. Well, this time I'm listening, man. I'll git back to ya.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 10:56 am

Marc Mason wrote:

Now, there should have been another organ-tilted title to fit in right here, but I don't know what that might be. I know that they get some ample usage from the Hammond and Fender Rhodes in the Indie and Garage Rock genres, but not so much in the way of Hard Rock and Metal. A few of us should get together and put together a 'Rainbow' type Rock outfit. Show them all a thing or two.

More hard rock than metal, but Clutch's "From Beale Street to Oblivion" has some very tasty Hammond playing in it.

I always find it amusing when people complain about keyboards/synths in metal, and yet still revere Black Sabbath. They used keys from the first album on, but no one questions their metalhood! Makes me chuckle! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:04 am

A Touch of Evil.... 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:58 am

I checked out some of the Spiritual Beggars joints and daddy approves. Funny, I do have some of the Clutch stuff, but daddy was turned off by how mainstream daddy thought they sound. Their songs were uber-catchy though. I could picture that band doing very well on the radio. Do they have popular singles at least?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:29 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Too many for me to mention (since everybody is including keyboards with synths). However, an album that really stuck in my mind and had a great use of keys (though most fans of this band didn't like it) was Pestilence-Spheres. I believe it nicely accented their already unique death metal.

I am one of the few who really likes that album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 8:21 am

angel dust - coming home