Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best use of synths in a metal song..

Go down 
+19
MetalRob331
Red Kitty
mc666
INVADERS
metalhead777
SAHB Healer
sam
Required Fields
manny
XYZ
krokus
MetalFRO
Schbopo
Lari
GrandNational
tohostudios
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
plancha7
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
plancha7
Metal novice
Metal novice
plancha7

Number of posts : 35

Best use of synths in a metal song.. Empty
PostSubject: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:14 pm

Now lookie-here, i fully realize many people are scornful of the use of synthesizers within metal, and often times point to increased synth-inclusion as the time when their favorite band really began to "lose it". I, however, am not a number, i am a free-man; and consequently could not really give much of a damn of the collective critisim of tha bovine masses, and actually enjoy many, many metal/rock songs which incoporate synthy-goodness. How about you fine folks?.. what are your favorites?

Off the top of my head; i give you these fine examples:

Stormbringer by Deep Purple (the way the synths end just as the final solo begins gets me everytime 🤘

Sabbra Cadabra By Sabbath.

Turbo Lover (seriously!) by Judas Priest.

Van Halen - Jump (..etc)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Probably "Pull Me Under".
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:41 pm

Anything where it is used for atmosphere and not up front. Nocturnus and early Coroner comes to mind...

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:50 pm

I like how they're used on Bloodbound's "Nosferatu" album.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:56 pm

I like the synths from Dream Theater's "Scenes for a Memory" album. Adds a lot to the feel of the music on a few of the tracks.

Always enjoyed what Led Zeppelin did with Kashmir, In the Evening, No Quarter, In the Light.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 5:18 pm

I like the keyboards, piano and synths on the Angel Dust albums. They are used well especially on Border of Reality and Bleed.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Just about every Deep Purple song.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:03 pm

plancha7 wrote:
Turbo Lover (seriously!) by Judas Priest.

I was hoping you were just kidding, but then I saw "seriously!" and nearly facepalmed.

plancha7 wrote:
Van Halen - Jump (..etc)

Yeah, this is a near-perfect example.

I'll throw Dream Theater's "In the Presence of My Enemies" parts 1 and 2 in there - awesome work by Jordan Rudess in that, w/ some nice vaudeville-esque stuff as well!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 pm

Like them on CHANGE OF ADDRESS by KROKUS, on THE ULTIMATE SIN by OZZY, on SOMEWHERE IN TIME by MAIDEN, on TURBO by JUDAS, on LONG WAY TO HEAVEN by HELIX, TRICK OR TREAT by FASTWAY and a long etc....
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:11 pm

I gotta love "Jump" by Van Halen, but.....

"Stargazer" by Rainbow owns all!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:13 pm

Deep Purple's Jon Lord is playing a hammond organ so I am not sure if they should included but I will second Judas Priest's Turbo
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:22 pm

manny wrote:
Deep Purple's Jon Lord is playing a hammond organ so I am not sure if they should included but I will second Judas Priest's Turbo

And a Hammond got a totaly different sound, very 70s of course.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Rainbow - Stargazer has good use of synths, I'll second that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Rainbow in the dark - Dio
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:36 pm

I was considering that one as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 pm

These albums from the 90's...

Amorphis- Elegy
Tad Morose- A Mended Rhyme
Tad Morose- Sender of Thoughts
Royal Hunt- (all of them))

and for old skool "jumpy" 80's Pomp, Mark Mangold's band Touch. Touch was awesome.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 7:57 pm

everything power quest makes (although you may want to yell JUMP at times)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 8:11 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
These albums from the 90's...

Amorphis- Elegy
Tad Morose- A Mended Rhyme
Tad Morose- Sender of Thoughts
Royal Hunt- (all of them))

and for old skool "jumpy" 80's Pomp, Mark Mangold's band Touch. Touch was awesome.

Good call with Royal Hunt. While keys are prominent in RH, they don't override the rest of the instruments.

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Well, we gotta differentiate between what are 'keyboards' and what are 'synths'. I always take 'synths' to mean a musical part which is pre-programmed and ready to play with the push of a button. These pre-recorded sections often serve as a type of rhythm for the track. They're often played as loop which resurfaces at specifical intervals during the song, and often accompany the other parts which are played live by actual musicians.

The band that comes to mind right away is The Who. They had a lot of use for synths beginnin with Who's Next. Songs like Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, Sister Disco, all have pre-recorded syth loops which were pre-programmed by Townshend and are ready to go whenever they play live. No one needs to play those parts...although someone could if they wanted.

I remember reading the back of the debut Bosto album and how it boasted that they pulled off that recording without the use of synthesizers. You were supposed to be mighty impressed that they could make all that sound with just a couple guitars, bass and drums. I was pretty impressed. How 'bout you.

As for keyboards, as in Hammond Organ, Electric Piano and such, there have been quite a number of awesome players over the years in Rock music, and the addition of such instruments has, for the most part, greatly enhanced the music, adding another dimension, or layer to a band's sound.

A few divergent things come to mind. Prog Rock has had the most use for electric boards. And, there is just an insane example of this on Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick album. I still think that this album is the most impressive piece of music available in any genre of Rock. It's insanely impressive how he keeps one song constantly moving forward for 4o someodd minutes. The keyboard parts here are exhausting in their complexity.

I loved how keyboards were used on Faith No More's The Real Thing and Angel Dust albums, on songs like Falling To Pieces, Underwater Love, Land of Sunshine, Everything's Ruined. Queensryche also used them sparingly on Rage For Order. I love their use on The Whisper and The Killing Words. Maiden was also equally frugal in their use of them on Seventh Son. Another great album.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:20 am

Marc Mason wrote:
I loved how keyboards were used on Faith No More's The Real Thing and Angel Dust albums, on songs like Falling To Pieces, Underwater Love, Land of Sunshine, Everything's Ruined.

Yeah, FNM always had good keyboard work, and it always fit the music. I thought "Album of the Year" had some good keyboard work as well, though it was a tad more subtle in places. "Mouth to Mouth" had a fun keyboard line Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 11:08 am

Somewhere in Time - Iron Maiden
Moonchild - Iron Maiden
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 11:22 am

A Touch of Evil by Judas Priest

Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 12:58 pm

xyz wrote:
I gotta love "Jump" by Van Halen, but.....

"Stargazer" by Rainbow owns all!!! 🤘

Agreed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:04 pm

I prefer the sound of old school keyboards to synth based models.

Mellotron - a tape loop based device to create string sounds (listen to Zeppelin, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and others)

Hammond B3 - No keyboards sound better than the Hammond B3. Popularized in jazz by Jimmy Smith in the 50's, it would become the key ingredient in 60's rock and proto-metal.

Fender Rhodes electric piano

Wurlitzer electric piano

As for synths, the original Moog would be my preference.

I've always been a fan of keyboards and have no problem with them being used in metal...in fact I think alot more bands could stand to extend their sonic palette beyond guitar/guitar/bass/drums.

As for favorite track using actual synthesizer, I'd vote for Subdivisions by Rush.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Best use of synths in a metal song..   Best use of synths in a metal song.. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Evergrey has some of the most atmospheric synths out there.