Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Is Metal?

Go down 
+23
MetalFRO
Temple of Blood
EvyMetal
Daybreaker
sam
James B.
rattpoison
Thrasher73
krokus
skullsmasher
Lari
XYZ
MetalRob331
ultmetal
mc666
Troublezone
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
manny
Olafsto
akeldama
DallasBlack
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

What Is Metal? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 7:22 pm

detuned wrote:
Go ask any 20 people on the street to give you an example of a definitive heavy metal band...I bet you'd get the oddest answers. The term is so broad and covers so many different styles it literally can mean many different things to different people.

No doubt, just like there are many, many different styles of jazz. It's all still jazz.

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 7:58 pm

ultmetal wrote:
detuned wrote:
Go ask any 20 people on the street to give you an example of a definitive heavy metal band...I bet you'd get the oddest answers. The term is so broad and covers so many different styles it literally can mean many different things to different people.

No doubt, just like there are many, many different styles of jazz. It's all still jazz.

Agree 100%. And the other thing jazz & metal have in common is they each have an endless number of stupid sub-genre names.

lol!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 8:15 pm

detuned wrote:

exactly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 pm

sam wrote:
whatever you want it to be.

I agree 100%, if you believe a band is metal then its metal in your opinion. I think what sam is saying is that if a band is borderline hard rock/metal and you think its metal then so be it.

There are way too many sub genres within metal that people really get confused as to what label a band should be. I was in FYE today and in the metal section there was Linkin Park but in the pop/rock section there was Dream Theater? I thought to myself how could this be? After some thinking Linkin Park is/was labeled Nu-Metal when they first arrived. Dream Theater is labeled a progressive band therefore thats why they were left out of the metal section I guess. Dream Theater is a progressive metal band imo and really has no right to be in the pop/rock section of a cd store. If anything they both should be in metal or Linkin Park should be in pop/rock as they are a hell of a lot more popular then Dream Theater are.
Back to top Go down
Daybreaker
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:06 am

I lurk everyday here because the convos are so awesome. I had this experience happen to me the past couple of weeks. Last Saturday tehre was a twenty percent off at the music store here. My friend fronted me half the cost of a new guitar. I ended up falling in love with a Fender Lone Star Strat. My friends can't understand that. They ask me why I got a bluesy guitar and not a EMG equpped Ibanez or ESP. To me, the sound I get out of that Strat IS Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon. THAT is metal to me.

It just seems more and more what most people's definitiion of metal is becoming further removed from mine. It saddens me hearing young people talk about METAL bands like Bullet for My butthole but you mention Judas Priest / Saxon and you get blank looks like "Why is this chode talking about these stupid old rock bands"
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Daybreaker wrote:
I lurk everyday here because the convos are so awesome. I had this experience happen to me the past couple of weeks. Last Saturday tehre was a twenty percent off at the music store here. My friend fronted me half the cost of a new guitar. I ended up falling in love with a Fender Lone Star Strat. My friends can't understand that. They ask me why I got a bluesy guitar and not a EMG equpped Ibanez or ESP. To me, the sound I get out of that Strat IS Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon. THAT is metal to me.

It just seems more and more what most people's definitiion of metal is becoming further removed from mine. It saddens me hearing young people talk about METAL bands like Bullet for My butthole but you mention Judas Priest / Saxon and you get blank looks like "Why is this chode talking about these stupid old rock bands"

24 years wise! 🤘

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:20 pm

Quote :

I agree 100%, if you believe a band is metal then its metal in your opinion.

No that's called delusional. If i say Green Day is metal that doesn't actually make them metal.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

No that's called delusional. If i say Green day is metal that doesn't actually make them metal.

I disagree, if Troublezone declares Tom Jones a metal artist, than that makes it so.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

No that's called delusional. If i say Green Day is metal that doesn't actually make them metal.

Waitaminnit, waitaminnit... you mean, Green Day AREN'T METAL???

This changes everything for me!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Did you miss the bold/underlined parts?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

No that's called delusional. If i say Green day is metal that doesn't actually make them metal.

I disagree, if Troublezone declares Tom Jones a metal artist, than that makes it so.

insane
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Quote :

Oh in that case... I believe i'm in the bahamas right now sippin a martini.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:33 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

They're not? You've just corrupted my entire universe.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Haven't we had this thread before?

heavy metal = dark, powerful guitar-riff based rock music.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:36 pm

Quote :

I know what you mean... Billy Joe shreds with the best of 'em.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Well Green Day may not be metal but we can all agree that Jimmy Eat World is indeed the greatest metal band in the world (next to mega superstar act Keel that is)
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:40 pm

manny wrote:
Well Green Day may not be metal but we can all agree that Jimmy Eat World is indeed the greatest metal band in the world (next to mega superstar act Keel that is)

I thought The Naked Brothers Band ruled the metal world...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:

I thought The Naked Brothers Band ruled the metal world...

Pfft. The Jonas Brothers are way more tr00, grimm and kvlt than those pozer Naked Brothers!! Even Ron Keel bows before the Jonas Brothers! HAIL!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:57 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

And I believe you are, too. happy
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

And I believe you are, too. happy

Never, neverland yay!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:04 am

ultmetal wrote:

Right, but what about Stained Class, Sin After Sin, etc. By today's standards they aren't heavy enough to be considered "heavy metal". Those albums incorporate blues riffs. Also, they were released in the 70's, before there was such a things a "heavy metal". At least that is the logic.

Whadaya kidding me? Those two albums are far heavier than their 80's work. Put 'em side by side. The Priest albums in the second half of the 80's were fluff. As was much of everything.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:39 am

Marc Mason wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Right, but what about Stained Class, Sin After Sin, etc. By today's standards they aren't heavy enough to be considered "heavy metal". Those albums incorporate blues riffs. Also, they were released in the 70's, before there was such a things a "heavy metal". At least that is the logic.

Whadaya kidding me? Those two albums are far heavier than their 80's work. Put 'em side by side. The Priest albums in the second half of the 80's were fluff. As was much of everything.

Yes, I am kidding you. I was using the flawed logic of those who claim that bands like Saxon, UFO, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, etc. were never heavy metal bands.

Using the definition of metal that some hold, Judas Priest didn't become a heavy metal band until Painkiller. Everything before that album are "just hard rock".

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:47 am

Quote :
Using the definition of metal that some hold, Judas Priest didn't become a heavy metal band until Painkiller. Everything before that album are "just hard rock".

If that was directed toward me i was just saying that Painkiller was as far removed from hard rock as they come. I didn't say earlier albums were not metal.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:56 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

If that was directed toward me i was just saying that Painkiller was as far removed from hard rock as they come. I didn't say earlier albums were not metal.

No. It wasn't directed at you. It was just a general statement using the logic that metal can't have blues based riffs, have to be as heavy as the bands of today, etc.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 am

Quote :
It was just a general statement using the logic that metal can't have blues based riffs, have to be as heavy as the bands of today, etc.

Tell that to Larry Farkas. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Is Metal?   What Is Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Is Metal?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next