Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........

Go down 
+5
T-Roy
novellahub
TheGooch
ghost
mr.electric39
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Empty
PostSubject: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 11:58 pm

How much speculation and anticipation could there be about what this disc would sound like. "Will it sound like Moving Pictures?, Will it sound like Vapor trails? Will it sound like 2112?" Will it sound like classic Rush????

I believe the answer would be a hearty yes to all of the above. First, if I hear one more person who is disappointed because it's not Tom Sawyer pt 2 or Passage to Bangkok pt 2.... Sawyer was written over 25 years ago and Bangkok was written over 30! wow.

Opening with the lead single 'Far Cry', Geddy, Neil and Alex show they've not forgotten how to rip it up. Heavy guitar with a great hook and groove, it's one of the few positive tunes lyrically on this disc. The chorus on this song breathes with openess and is a great positive anthem.

What becomes apparent after 3-4 listens is that there is a lot going here musically. Even when the arranging goes from dense to a much more open feel. Prime example is the verse in 'Working them Angels' (should be a great song live, a true classic !) the verse is breathing and sparse almost like a folk song but then the powerfull chorus with a memorable melody. Some 70's feel as it were with the acoustic/electric interplay.
'Armor and Sword' has a great mid song break, time change and melody change, reminiscent of anything from the 'early days'(another live choice for sure).
The most up tempo tune 'The Way the Wind Blows' starts with Neil setting a tempo on the drums, but what steels the show for me is Alex's lead guitar tone and solo. Very much a 60's70's throwback (like hendrix?).
Many of his solos (yes there are several !) have almost a bluesy feel to them! 'Wind' is the most syncopated rythym from Rush in a very long time.(secret agent on counterparts?)...
At times 'Spindrift', 'Faithless', 'Good News First' I feel have a lot of 'old school hard/prog rock' seeping into the very 2007 production and song arranging. Very cool indeed. There is a lot of energy in the songs on this album. I didn't catch that the first time through. The first time through I had the 'it's one long song feel'. It seemed that there were to many tempos that were to similar. But on repeated listenings I was able to start hearing the subtleties and that made all the difference.

Speaking of 'Faithless' what a chorus ! wow and that guitar solo. Alex wins for best lead tone ! Speaking of perfomances all three of them have really come through. Some may say Neil is very subdued, but his playing the material that they're writing. It's not 'Xanadu', but I don't want that rehashed and neither do they. Geddy's singing and bass playing are there usual best.

There is a lot of acoustic guitar on this disc which when getting back to 'classic rush' how can you forget "closer to the heart", "making memorries","natural science" and "the trees" which to me just means roots. In many ways this album brings a vast array of 60's- present sound and feel comes up with
Not to ignore the 3 instrumentals but 'Malignant Narcissim' is a real treat. enjoy !!!

In a nutshell this is Rush 2007, but many of their roots are here. I've read "the intensity of 2112 with the flavor of Vapor Trails" that's a pretty good synopis.

3 songs clock in over 6 minutes (if anyone is counting), and there is a vast array of heavy rock influences. Neil said their song writing has always been organic, I trully believe him. Rush isn't for everybody, never has been but if you are already on board you're gonna dig this.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 6:29 am

Very good review mr.electric39! I liked Snakes and Arrows immediately, but I think with every listen it is getting even better. For me it is one of the highlights this year.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Definately a great disc in their vast catalog !!.... thanks for the compliment... I've not writen a music review in about 18-20 years !!

Smile
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 4:42 pm

i have a confession i have no rush in my collection at all the only rush song i have eber heard being on guitar hero
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 6:39 pm

TheGooch wrote:
i have a confession i have no rush in my collection at all the only rush song i have eber heard being on guitar hero

Some would say they are an aquired taste. Not simply hard rock not really heavy metal. Undoubtedly if you want to have at least one cd then their most successful commercially (don't let that scare you) is clearly 'Moving Pictures'... Their trademark tune 'Tom Sawyer' and close followup is 'Limelight' are both on that cd. Great drivin' stuff. Not heavy at all really but excellent stuff. On 'Pictures' they pulled in alot of the 'long' songs (although there is one) and focused on melodies.... There are many progressive elements still, but clearly this started a run of many more accessable discs. "moving Pictures" is a great disc.

Just so you know my tastes run the gammet (if you've not figured it out from my posts) I dig everything from Rush, Maiden, AC/DC to Testament, Megadeth, Motorhead, Saxon, Stratovarious, Riot, Vengeance, Rez Band, and the list is endless..... anywho... give 'em a try and let me know what you think....

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 10:40 pm

One of the best releases of the year.  Nice review too.
Back to top Go down
novellahub
Metal student
Metal student
novellahub

Number of posts : 163

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 10:59 am

Great Review. I am looking forward to seeing Rush live in St. Paul in September!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rchobbyhub.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 7:56 pm

novellahub wrote:
Great Review. I am looking forward to seeing Rush live in St. Paul in September!

Thank you very much. August 3rd Concord, Calif... I will be in attendance.... I'm very excited, 4th time to see 'em....

Been thinking about reviewing more stuff, not just Rush.......
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 4:34 pm

I'll make this short and painful, Rush for me, equals nails on a chalkboard!!! JUST CAN'T DO IT, I'VE TRIED!Sad
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 10:45 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
Rush isn't for everybody, never has been but if you are already on board you're gonna dig this.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 12:44 pm

Old thread, but I picked up Snakes & Arrows on my lunchbreak today. Wow, maybe my ears have matured since the last modern Rush album I heard (Counterparts) came out, but this album is very good. My first thought was that it is a smooth sounding album. It just flows very well.

Is Vapor Trails similar at all?
Back to top Go down
novellahub
Metal student
Metal student
novellahub

Number of posts : 163

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:46 pm

Vapor Trails is a lot different than Snakes and Arrows. Vapor Trails is heavier and more modern in production. It also has very few guitar solos. It is also mastered louder than Snakes and Arrows with some noticable distortion in places.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rchobbyhub.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 10:00 pm

[quote="spectrefate"]Old thread, but I picked up Snakes & Arrows on my lunchbreak today. Wow, maybe my ears have matured since the last modern Rush album I heard (Counterparts) came out, but this album is very good. My first thought was that it is a smooth sounding album. It just flows very well.

Is Vapor Trails similar at all?[/qu

Vapor Trails is heavier than S&A and there is no acoustic guitar. There are some good songs on there, but S&A is better. The production on Vapor Trails is lacking. It is mastered too loud as mentioned above. It also felt very "dense" too me. I don't if that makes sense, but where S&A breathes, VT bowls you over.

If you find used I'd get it, If you liked the style of Counterparts I'd get it.
Truly though I think S&A will become one of their classic discs. The more times I hear it the more I think this is true.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 am

Thanks. I'll most certainly pick up Vapor Trails........
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:55 am

I liked this album in my first listen itself, good effort and wonderful songs.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 2:06 pm

Finally picked this CD up with a Christmas gift certificate! Good album. I especially like the 3 instrumentals.

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 10:07 am

Great review. I completely agree with the "organic" nature of the songs. My standout favorites are the three instrumentals. I bought this for my drive from Portland to Bellevue, a solid three listens. I really like the album. It's hard to believe these guys have been around for over 30 years. I hope to see them this year on tour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 2:17 pm

i was afraid to by the album. I didn't know if it would be like Rush or not. But you've talked me into it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 12:40 pm

Wow, thanks for the great review. When I have money again I'll defintaley pick that one up.

It's strange: for years I actually couldn't stand Rush because of Giddy's voice, but recently I realized I don't care anymore. Now, I love his voice. And once I got past that stupid judgment, I saw how incredible they are. I bought 2112 first (of course), and, man, it was like listening to Back in Black, Ride the Lightning, KISS Alive!, Led Zeppelin II, etc, all over again. I love that feeling of discovery. It doesn't come as often anymore.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 7:50 pm

I loved it. I can't wait to go to the concert in May.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 4:24 am

It's Rush. What else can you say? Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ 505193
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........   Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rush - Snakes and Arrows the Review........
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: The Hurting Words-
Jump to: