Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RUSH Time Machine concert review

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

RUSH Time Machine concert review Empty
PostSubject: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 2:23 am

OK, so quite an experience at my first time seeing Rush. We found our seats around the end of the first set, so I will be reviewing the second set.

The second set began with a killer movie (see below), and musically kicked off with Tom Sawyer. The band destroyed that one, and moved on to a killer rendition of Red Barchetta. Alex's guitar work on Red Barchetta was mind blowing, and seeing him do it all live was awesome. And Geddy still has that voice, believe it or not. YYZ was another stunner, with KILLER solos from Alex and Geddy, who still has that biting Rickenbacker bass tone, even though he uses a Fender Jazz Bass. Limelight was great, again it was great to see Alex rip it up.

"The Camera Eye" was a highlight for me, as it was alwyas my favorite tune from Moving Pictures. Seeing this live was totally amazing. I also REALLY enjoyed hearing "Witch Hunt", and "Vital Signs didn't fail to impress either. The rest of the second set comprised of mostly classics and a couple new ones. "Caravan" came after Moving Pictures, and proceeded to rock the house. A great new song that could have fit right in with Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. A KILLER Peart drum solo was next, comprising of a swing jam! That was another one of the highlights of the show for me. Afterwards came an awesome rendition of "Closer to the Heart", complete with a Lifeson acoustic intro.

"2112 Overture/Temples" was next, which they played a whole step tuned down. This was a bit weird for me at first, but it was still totally awesome. They closed out with "Far Cry", which was quite entertaining.

Then came the encore. "La Villa" was another peak of the show for me, having one of my favorite guitar solos of all time. And I can't describe how great it was to see it live. "Working Man", with its calypso intro, also killed.

The visual experience of Rush shows is unmatched. There were animations for each song from Moving Pictures, as well as short films to open each set and close the show. If you ever get the chance to see Rush live, please do, even if you are only familiar with the hits. The whole visual aspect of the show will blow your mind.

I bought a good amount of merch and memorabilia, such as a tourbook, a killer tour shirt and a CD single with the 2 new tunes.

I HIGHLY recommend this concert experience for all fans of good music. Whether you are a Rush die-hard or not, this is really a show worth seeing.

Below is the HILARIOUS closer movie:
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 5:43 am

Ive heard the Albuquerque show and the Milwaukee show. Good stuff, and the Tom Sawyer movie was hilarious, and so was the backstage movie. I love the Moving Picture set of the show. They hadnt played the full "Camera Eye" since 1981 and the partial version since 1983. Also the first time they ever played the track "Presto", 21 years after the album release. They seem rejouvinated, I wonder if this is their last tour.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:53 am

I think they've sounded rejuvenated ever since the Vapor Trails tour, they've been on a roll.

Thanks for the concert review!

Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Stepcousin, I believe they have never played a full version of The Camera Eye
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:26 pm

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:

Um, I have about 7 different bootlegs from the 1981 tour that would say otherwise; ranging from about 10:30 to about 12 minutes long. And about 3 shows from the '82-82 tour that have the 6 minute version (edited intro, no second part about London except the solo and the end).
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 4:58 am

stepcousin wrote:
Jesusandmetal23 wrote:

Um, I have about 7 different bootlegs from the 1981 tour that would say otherwise; ranging from about 10:30 to about 12 minutes long. And about 3 shows from the '82-82 tour that have the 6 minute version (edited intro, no second part about London except the solo and the end).

Serious!!
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:24 am

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
stepcousin wrote:
Jesusandmetal23 wrote:

Serious!!

Oh, I am a SEROIUS Rush fan, pretty much from the '74-81 years but quite a bit from the 80's as well. A little here and there from '90-now. When one of your favorite bands waits 5 years between live albums (like Rush during their prime) well that is just way too much live music out there to be had during those 5 years, so many songs you'll never hear live unless you go diving head first into the world of bootlegs!
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 4:42 pm

detuned wrote:
I think they've sounded rejuvenated ever since the Vapor Trails tour, they've been on a roll.

Thanks for the concert review!

+1
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Starman
Metal novice
Metal novice
Starman

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 pm

+2
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:37 pm

+3

Stepcousin, Do you have the one that is called "Fifth Order Of Angels"? That has some good unreleased early bar rock songs on it. I think that it is from their first tour with Neil on drums.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:55 am

chewie wrote:

Stepcousin, Do you have the one that is called "Fifth Order Of Angels"? That has some good unreleased early bar rock songs on it. I think that it is from their first tour with Neil on drums.

yup. Neil joined 2 weeks after "Rush" was released and had one month to learn the songs. There are 4 great Rush boots from 1974. One thing Ive learned about bootlegs is when a band is fresh and new, FM radio stations are crazy to jump on the next big thing so they sponsor concerts of new but slightly established bands. So Rush has about 4 great boots from '74 but none until late '76 after 2112 firmly established them. Funny how radio stations and are quick to jump off the bandwagon when a band isnt so new anymore.

I can think of quite a few bands that have alot of early FM recorded boots and then a 2 years or so gap until they made it big and then more good boots after that: Kansas('74-'76 and then none until '78, Kiss a bunch in '74 and then none until '76, Iron Maiden a bunch around early '81 and then only about 3 total during '82-84, Styx alot from '75-78 and then none until '82, Van Halen has about 6 great boots from '76-79 and then none until '82). just a few examples (great boots meaning FM radio recordings, soundboard recordings, fan club only concert boots).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RUSH Time Machine concert review   RUSH Time Machine concert review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RUSH Time Machine concert review
Page 1 of 1