Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Empty
PostSubject: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:51 am

From a post he made on his forum:

Quote :
yeah, 4 records.

An Appetizer, 2 meals and a desert.

Ki is the appetizer...heavy chill. I start the next one the day after...then the next will be the symphony, then an ambient album.

mmmm...

Tentatively, Ki is the mellow-ish intro to the story (a very pointed theme though, it's unnerving)

Addicted is the next one, heavy, fun and dance-y ...I like good choruses and dancing.

Deconstruction is a treat for the syl and ziltoid fans...(and then some...damn...it's smurfing nuts.)

The ambient album, (sand theme) will close it off.

All under dtp

Ki is pretty much done. Going away to do addicted...(Nepal?) Deconstruction is done, just needs the orchestra. Ambient will be a collection of improv.

Then I'm going on vacation.

No rest for the wikked.
Wow! He mentioned doing the symphonic album, but then he switched to Ki, saying all the mellow stuff was coming out. Now it's FOUR albums this year. Christ! No surprise. This is the dude that wrote and recorded a great punk album in a week on a $1,500 budget--because he was bored. And the Ziltoid album was supposed to be just a theme song. A short while later--full-lenght.

I am in awe of this guy, and I cannot wait for these albums. His ambient stuff is really cool, too. Just toss on some headphones and it's a trip.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:31 am

He's a genius. These will be mine.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:52 am

Wow, I only knew of Ki but to go from one album to four... fantastic! Can't wait to give these a listen, especially Addicted. Hopefully should be a good group of albums.

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Smindas wrote:
Wow, I only knew of Ki but to go from one album to four... fantastic! Can't wait to give these a listen, especially Addicted. Hopefully should be a good group of albums.
I think the best is yet to come from this guy. Then again, these albums are coming from the mind of a completely sober Devin Townsend. I hope his genius didn't stem from his altered states of the past.

I think he did the Ziltoid album sober, though, so no worries. The non-touring Devin could become quite prolific. Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Yeah, I think you're right with Ziltoid being an entirely sober (well, that is if you ignore the affects of caffeine, which are clearly prominent all over that album ;P). I really hope the best is still to come, as that means we're in for a ridiculously good stash of music. I gave Synchestra a spin today for the first time in about a year - I'd forgotten how amazing an album it was. It'd be hard to top something like that.

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:50 pm

Smindas wrote:
Yeah, I think you're right with Ziltoid being an entirely sober (well, that is if you ignore the affects of caffeine, which are clearly prominent all over that album ;P). I really hope the best is still to come, as that means we're in for a ridiculously good stash of music. I gave Synchestra a spin today for the first time in about a year - I'd forgotten how amazing an album it was. It'd be hard to top something like that.
I can't pick a favorite album from him. They all have their place, and they're all amazing. I think "Planet Rain," however, might be my favorite song. When he sings "cuz it's the end of the world"—holy crap! Goose bumps every time. "Sit In The Mountain" is another top fav.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Smindas wrote:
I gave Synchestra a spin today for the first time in about a year - I'd forgotten how amazing an album it was. It'd be hard to top something like that.

My favorite album by Dev. Just like Eyesore, I get goose-bumps in certain places on this album.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:55 pm

devin townsend never takes a break does he? awesome, bring 'em devy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:00 am

Crazy updates going on on Dev's website. I remember in the 90s, when Devin wasn't so popular, he and his wife, Tracy, would chat with fans online and stuff, and generally seemed excited about things. Then Dev got really popular, and he kind of retreated from everything.

He seems happy again, and he's spending a lot of time chatting with fans on his forum. That has me excited, because he seems excited again. Four albums this year! Cannot wait.

Here's some vids. This first is some ambient-like jams.

This video is of demos for the Deconstuction (aka Deconstruction of a Cheeseburger) album. "Just demos...no bass etc, all drum machine. The record will be choirs, orchestra, live drums etc. It's based on carl Jung and a cheeseburger."

Apparently this one is for the SYL. Ki, the first release, will be very different. For instance, here's a little jam on a song from that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PId-A0eF96w

And that drummer is actually the drummer on the album. Haha. Devin is nuts.

Dev said this about the main albums:

Quote :
Deconstruction is for the syl fans...

Addicted is for people who don't want a message or story

Ki is for me
The fourth album will be an ambient thing, like Project EKO, Devlab, and The Hummer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 am

Here's a very cool post by Devin. Seems he's a bit like in how he deals with and appreciates things.

Quote :
Yup, Decon. is just a demo...

My whole 're-emergence' as a musician is underlined by the fact that I am truly unable to do one style in lieu of all others. The quiet emphasises the heavy and vise versa. I'm not too into rapid ups and downs though, it's unhealthy creatively.

There are scores of folks who would love me to do syl and nothing else, believe me. Unfortunately, the last time I did that...I got SO SICK of loud music I wanted to puke. There was no escape from it. I appreciate that as a metaphor, and think that energy contributes to the chaotic nature of those stylings...but I was constantly battling to do peaceful music with folks that had no interest in it. SO, the heavy music suffered (got mellower) and ultimately stopped.

Thats where things go south for me. When I want to make chaos, you can be sure that it will out-chaos ANYONE, but that to the exclusion of everything else makes me very very bored.

The ONLY way I can provide that musical landscape for you, is if I am FREE to do whatever comes into my head...and as a person, I feel very strongly for peace, quiet, harmony and beauty. I think thats why my chaotic output resonates with folks so well, because it's coming from someone who truly isn't super interested in overstimulus. I am good at it though, and I enjoy it. But IN IT'S PLACE... or else I would probably just do ambient music and little else. It's about balance...If I'm free to do the peaceful, you can bet you'll get your chaos.

In terms of touring, I am interested in a SOBER collection of the best of the best. And lots of them...I want each atmosphere to be authentic and complete. I have found through playing with many many drummers and musicians, that usually...folks are interested in ONE THING, 'I want to crush the world' or 'I only appreciate free jazz' or 'don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...' etc.

I believe lots of folks identities are heavily invested in what they choose to play. And I can appreciate it, I just don't relate.

I love Ravi Shankar and Paul Horn, I appreciate Behemoth and Meshuggah, I worship Stravinsky and love Def Lepard, I understand the motivation in Nickelback and love Abba and the Vengaboys...Rapoon, Mute Math, Merzbow, Barkmarket...WHATEVER.

If it's GOOD, I want to participate...I have many moods that require different vibrations.

Now, I use THE BEST PEOPLE for that particular project. No compromise. I refuse at this point to convince a metal head to be quiet and to make an opera singer scream bloody murder...IF I HAVE TO CONVINCE YOU, YOURE NOT THE PERSON. Theres room for it all, so as a PRODUCER, if I need jazz, get a jazz guy, if I need METAL, get the metal.

...and live?

Well it's either going to be 40 people or a VERY special and talented group of 7 (or so).
🤘
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 2:27 am

He looks better now that he's lost his skull-et. I've been on a Dev fix myself lately. I always hear new things I missed so many times before on all of his albums. Thanks Eyesore.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:20 am

I miss the skullet, although it probably is for the best ;P Also, another Vengaboys fan - genius.

Those clips sound exciting, I literally cannot wait to hear any of these albums.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 pm

dev is the frank zappa of our generation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:03 pm

sam wrote:
Only not so damn weird. At least musically.

Or maybe not.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
sam wrote:
Only not so damn weird. At least musically.

Or maybe not.

kinda makes you wish you could get inside that noggin of his for a day or so, eh? lol!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Ki is apparently out this summer. As well as that, Dev answered some questions about the album in this Blabbermouth article; http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=116527

This is probably the album I am most excited about this year.

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 5:40 pm

I cannot wait. I love how he's got a 62-year-old drummer. That's just awesome.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:32 am

Eyesore wrote:
I cannot wait. I love how he's got a 62-year-old drummer. That's just awesome.

it's well known fact that:

Devin Townsend = Complete and utter awesomeness

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:32 pm

http://www.myspace.com/devintownsenddtb

🤘

Man, I am drooling. Those of us that have liked all his different styles are going to love this one.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Eyesore, you fanboy, you beat me to it. Sounds fantastic, everything about this album has me reeling in anticipation.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:
http://www.myspace.com/devintownsenddtb

🤘

Man, I am drooling. Those of us that have liked all his different styles are going to love this one.

If all I have to purchase this year are these 4 albums, I'll be satisfied.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:44 pm

What's up with Dev breaking into Elvis mode, huh? Haha.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 6:28 am

Eyesore wrote:
What's up with Dev breaking into Elvis mode, huh? Haha.
Maybe it's the drummers influence? I was surprised by the fact that it actually seemed to work quite well.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update   Devin Townsend Albums (Yeah, Plural) Update Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:42 pm