Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Status Quo

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:23 pm

I was thinking how strange it is that I've not only never seen these guys mentioned here, but also that I don't remember ever having had a conversation with anyone about them (even in person). And I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio except maybe their old psych classic "Pictures of the Matchstick Men" on an oldies station long ago. The reason this is strange is that they were one of the biggest selling bands in the UK in the 70's. They had three #1 albums and one #2 from 1973-75, when they had among others Led Zeppelin and the Stones for competition. Not only that, but I doubt Hard Rock as it exists today would be the same without them. I'm sure they influenced AC/DC, Foghat, Thin Lizzy etc. They were a pioneering twin guitar boogie band, and a very popular one too.

Here are my recommendations if anyone wants to check them out.

1. Blue For You- #1 UK album, probably their heaviest, although they never were super heavy. More like an uptempo basic Wishbone Ash.
2. Quo- Similar to "Blue For You". #2 in the UK and both available on 2 on 1 CD.
3. Ma Kelley's Greasy Spoon- Really the beginning of their hard rock era. An under-rated album that was crucial to blues based boogie rock. Also heavier than it's reputation.
4. Hello- Another #1 in the UK. Very uptempo and poppy.
5. On The Level- Similar to Hello, also a #1 seller. Also available together on 2 on 1 CD. These two were their most accessible and poppy, but not very heavy really. A lot of energy though.
6. Dog of Two Head- A more diverse album, but very good. Somewhat of a regression to their Psych era after "Ma Kelly". Most of their music is very basic, but this one has some depth.
7. Piledriver- This got some promo in the USA. But it's over-rated and over-titled. I think this album ruined whatever chance they had here. People bought it expecting "piledriving" rock, and got at best a good natured buzzsaw. Not their best IMO.

It's funny that they now seem to be remembered mostly for inspiring the NWOBHM band Vardis, "Quo Vardis", etc.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Their still popular......but with who?

I like Quo the record that is.......pretty rockin' blooze metal. Yet never made me want to explore further! Too little time too much music. I still have this stubborn notion that Humble Pie and Foghat are the only bands that are worthwhile at this music at the time and i just usually throw Status Quo in the same lumpy blooze pile as i do with Bad Company.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:08 pm

rattpoison wrote:
i just usually throw Status Quo in the same lumpy blooze pile as i do with Bad Company.

They did have that problem, at least outside the UK. I don't know about elsewhere, but I suspect the problem in the USA was that they were marketed (when marketed at all) as the ultimate "redneck" band, and they cultivated that image. They just couldn't pull that off in the USA when there were albums like ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres" or Sknyrd's "Gimmie Back My Bullets" to compete with. I think some of the people who were expected to buy into them found them lame and vaguely insulting. I know I did. I didn't learn to appreciate them until I took them as a good natured parody of redneck rock, and a damn fine one at that. But then Bad Company was huge in the USA. Go figure. Some times it just doesn't make sense. RP, you might give "Hello" a try someday, as it has kind of a power-pop vibe compared to some of the other albums. Sort of.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:15 pm

I only know handful of songs that is only because when I went to the U.K. I saw them in this outdoor festival and the audience went nuts!!!! They are like mega stars over there it was a fun show but their songs didnot stand out to me, what stood out to me is how much the audience loved them. I may have to explore them further in the future, but live is the only way to experience them.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:32 pm

So i'm taking it the Quo weren't so popular in the States......kinda like Slade. Both bands apart from their success in Europe were quite the chart dominating success down here as well.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:36 pm

rattpoison wrote:
So i'm taking it the Quo weren't so popular in the States......kinda like Slade. Both bands apart from their success in Europe were quite the chart dominating success down here as well.

No they did nothing over here, I believe they had a minor hit with "Pictures of the Matchstick Men' or whatever that song was called but that was it.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 11:55 pm

manny wrote:
it was a fun show but their songs did not stand out to me, what stood out to me is how much the audience loved them.

I think that pretty much sums them up. You're lucky to have seen them live. I guess a good place for anyone to start with them is their live disc. I know they play my favorite song by them (Rain) on that one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Status Quo
Page 1 of 1