Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Status Quo

Go down 
+6
chewie
manny
Boris2008
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:09 am

Any fans of the British band Status Quo?

I'm looking for recommendations if I were to explore their brand of feel-good, upbeat rock-n-roll. They have about a million albums out, so I'd probably like to start off with a decent Greatest Hits or Anthology-type package, just to test the waters and not break the bank.

Where's a good place to start?

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:22 am

I have almost zero "feel-good, upbeat" music in my entire collection.   Laughing very hard

Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:25 am

About all I know of Status Quo is that John Gallagher of Raven occasionally mentions them as an influence or wears one of their t-shirts onstage.

So in other words... I got nothin'. Sorry.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:26 am

I tried to get into this band about a year ago, but they just didn't speak to me... I think I grabbed one of those "Gold" or "Essential" collection of greatest hits at the local library.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 am

S.D. wrote:
I have almost zero "feel-good, upbeat" music in my entire collection.   Laughing very hard

Sorry.

Maybe you should start, you turd. Razz 

I'm playing a song list that someone assembled on YouTube and it sounds pretty cool. I guess these guys were bigger over in England than here in the States. Humble Pie and Foghat gave Americans their fill of British boogie rock.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:36 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
About all I know of Status Quo is that John Gallagher of Raven occasionally mentions them as an influence or wears one of their t-shirts onstage.

So in other words... I got nothin'. Sorry.

My only exposure to them was the Ozzy/Type O Negative cover they did of 'Pictures of Matchstick Men'. Cool tune, but apparently that song is from their earlier psychadelic period of the 60's. I'm looking for more of their 70's output.

I'm willing to bet James B. will have something to weigh in on this topic.

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Sorry.

Maybe you should start, you turd. Razz 

I'm playing a song list that someone assembled on YouTube and it sounds pretty cool. I guess these guys were bigger over in England than here in the States. Humble Pie and Foghat gave Americans their fill of British boogie rock.

I will check them out as well, being more popular in Britain than the States is often an indication of quality to me.  When it comes to rock about 90% of my collection is British/European.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:43 am

Look on YouTube. They have lots of appearances on Top of the Pops and Old Grey Whistle Test and other live performances. They apparently still tour and release albums. Their last release was 2011.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Status Quo were probably the first rock band I ever got into, they are an absolute institution in the U.K.

I would start with Piledriver (1972) and go up to Rockin' all Over the World (1977) then when you realise that it's getting very samey, go back and listen to the early stuff (1968-71) as it does have a slightly different sound.

By then you will have heard everything from this band. The last 37 years are really not worth bothering with!  lol! 

Classic Quo

Early Quo

I've got to admit that I prefer the early stuff these days and I'm not a big fan of either.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 2:05 pm

[quote="S.D."]
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I will check them out as well, being more popular in Britain than the States is often an indication of quality to me.  When it comes to rock about 90% of my collection is British/European.

Nope! Not in this case. Kiss are progressive compared with Quo!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 9:13 pm

They are OK, I could never get into them, but like Boris said 'Piledriver', but I would recommend skipping them all together grab some Slade instead
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 2:18 am

I've only heard the song "Roll Over" on a various artists comp that I bought in my youth.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:07 pm

Can any of you seriously claim that you haven't heard "Rocking All Over the World"!?  Shocked
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Can any of you seriously claim that you haven't heard "Rocking All Over the World"!?  Shocked

In the States they mean next to nothing, never had of their tunes on the radio and as a matter a fact some of their biggest albums were never released here expect as imports.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 2:03 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

I'm listening to it right now on Youtube and can honestly sa it's the first time I've ever heard it. Not bad but not something I want to run out and get.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 8:25 pm

007 wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

I'm listening to it right now on Youtube and can honestly sa it's the first time I've ever heard it. Not bad but not something I want to run out and get.

Nah, it ain't the greatest song in the world, but like so many other songs (like "Iron Man" or "Born in the USA") released by great bands, it has reached untouchable classic status.

The song does have great nostalgic value to me (and many others) - it's one of those songs you crank out at neighborhood get-togethers when the food has been consumed and party commences.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm

manny wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

In the States they mean next to nothing, never had of their tunes on the radio and as a matter a fact some of their biggest albums were never released here expect as imports.

Is that an original? I know I've heard this song before, but I think it was Creedence Clearwater Revival. Or maybe just John Fogerty?

EDIT: It's a John Fogerty song that Quo (among others) covered. I'm actually more familiar with the Georgia Satellites version.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Status Quo are most definitely worth the investigation. IF you like early ACDC, Bad Company (a-la Movin' On & Good Lovin, Gone Bad), or the type of hard-rocking Boogie perfected by Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot, then you might want to give them a chance.

I started with the Live album from 1977. Honestly, if that doesn't get you interested then nothing will. I would stay away from the various Hits collections. There is a lot of stuff on YouTube now and the "Frantic Four" recently reunited and even some of those shows have been uploaded.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Just saw these guys playing Download '14 on Vh1C. Pretty standard fare, nothing to write home about, but they played their heart out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Status Quo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Status Quo   Status Quo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Status Quo
Page 1 of 1