Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?

Go down 
+11
Chairman_Smith
metalken
stevegarveyfan
HellRaiser
arttieTHE1manparty
Leatherface
chucksteak
Fat Freddy
Schbopo
manny
Temple of Blood
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Empty
PostSubject: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:44 pm

Here's the fun part: I don't know the name of the band, album title...or any song titles.

SOLVED>>>> Stick - Heavy Bag (1993)

All I can remember is this:

1. From Washington D.C. (WRONG! Lawrence Kansas)
2. Black vocalist, I'm pretty sure the rest of the band was white (actually 2 white guys)
3. Released sometime between 1992-1994 (I had the era correct)
4. In heavy rotation on Headbangers Ball for awhile back in that era.
5. Seem to remember them as slightly funky hard rock. (funky-pseudo grungy hard rock)
6. The name of the band was odd...which is probably why I can't remember it. (Stick?...I mean...STICK???)
7. Probably only released 1 album. (YEP)

I've been driving myself nuts searching Last FM, All Music and every other online site I can think of to no avail.

Whoever figures this out may save my sanity.

Last edited by detuned on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:49 pm

24-7 Spyz?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:50 pm

247-SPY ? or Fishbone maybe?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:51 pm

It's not 24-7 spyz, they were entirely black.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:54 pm

It wouldn't be the H.A.R.D. Corps, would it? They were a pretty godawful early rap/metal band from around that time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Schbopo wrote:
It's not 24-7 spyz, they were entirely black.
Yeah, and I think Fishbone was mostly black. He asked me in PM, and I can't think of anything. I know newer bands like Bionic Jive and Sevendust, and all black bands like Spade Ghetto Destruction, but can't think of any older bands. Though I bet I know the band.

Thin Lizzy! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:56 pm

No, if it was that easy I would already know it. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
It wouldn't be the H.A.R.D. Corps, would it? They were a pretty godawful early rap/metal band from around that time.
They had more than one black dude, though, right? And would Headbanger's Ball had played them? They were pretty cheesy. Haha.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Cyclone Temple? or...

too early to be Stuck Mojo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:01 pm

I think I'm going to blow a gasket on this one. Probably a good thing though, it's helping me keep my mind off the wave after wave of anxiety attacks I've been dealing with all day. Some times it's good to find something to obsess over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 pm

chucksteak wrote:
Cyclone Temple? or...

too early to be Stuck Mojo.
Nah, Mojo formed in 1989, but they wouldn't have had anything on MTV until 1994 or 1995.

This is like when I couldn't think of the bands Desolation Angels. That's the band--after a year--Denis from Sentinel Steal figured out. I only remember an image from an ad in Rip Magazine, or something. The band's album never came out. Crazy that he remembered it.

Anyway, it might take a year. Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 pm

Fine Young Cannibals!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fine Young Cannibals!

Bite me.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Did the band have a song called "Deeper Shade of Soul" or something like that? If it was them, they played on Jay Leno once if I remember. May not be them though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Leatherface wrote:
Did the band have a song called "Deeper Shade of Soul" or something like that? If it was them, they played on Jay Leno once if I remember. May not be them though.

That's Urban Dance Squad, thanks for the attempt though.

The search continues....

Next up is digging through all my old boxes of VHS tapes to see if I have any recorded Headbangers Ball episodes from that era.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm

"Deeper Shade Of Soul" was by Urban Dance Squad...most definitely NOT someone who would have been on Headbanger's Ball. (I used to DJ in a night club....)

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Well, I'll throw Black Sheep out there, but they don't fit many of your criteria, except for the black vocalist.

Hmm, now this is bugging me Laughing
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Bad Brains? (possibly all black)
Living Colour? (all black)
Eric Gales Band?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Still no cigar.

Maybe I imagined it....

affraid
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am

Yeah, I remembered the bands name after I sent my post. Funny thing is that Metal Maniacs actually did a review of that UDS record.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 12:20 am

Would you perhaps be thinking of Swiz? They were not metal, but heavy hardcore/crossover.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 3:18 am

Jimi Hendrix
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 6:03 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Jimi Hendrix

please tell me that was a joke. Shocked
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 am

Proper Grounds

Though I think they were from LA.

Another possibilty, though also not from DC, would be Follow For Now.

Last edited by jstate on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:56 am

Mayhaps it was ORANGE 9MM...

Or THE URGE....

PostSubject: Re: Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?   Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Needle in a haystack search...anybody remember this band?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next