Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I don't like new metal

Go down 
+30
SideShowDisaSter
Thrasher73
journeyman
mez
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
DeathCult
Shiney
MetalRob331
DallasBlack
Trial by Fire
Schbopo
Mglaffas81
XYZ
MetalGuy71
sam
krokus
Stender
Lurideath
mc666
ultmetal
exact33
Gilbert
manny
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Rex
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
kmorg
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 11:55 pm

People will always love the music they grew up listening to more then music that is brand new to them thats just the way of life.

I also think its hard for this generations music lovers to grasp the importance of past bands. I think kids in general really dont care how important a band was or how influential they were. They just care how the music sounds. If the music is good it will eventually be found.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:19 am

This thread is the same old discussion with a different title.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:35 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
This thread is the same old discussion with a different title.

Its one of my fav disussions
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 8:12 am

I agree with Spec that hard rock/heavy metal is in better shape today than ever, it is the first time and the last time that the entire history of the metal/hard rock is up on the display and there for anyone who cares to explore it, the old guard are still touring and recording (Judas Priest, Deep Purple etc) newer bands are taking it in new directions and some younger bands are following in the footsteps of what has come before it (The Sword, Wolfmother etc) metal music is in a great state of health.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 8:36 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I personally think metal is more alive than it has ever been. Maybe not in America, but historically non-Americans make the best rock music anyway.

And it seems most of it comes from South America and Germany (must be something in the water).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 8:40 am

DallasBlack wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
I personally think metal is more alive than it has ever been. Maybe not in America, but historically non-Americans make the best rock music anyway.

And it seems most of it comes from South America and Germany (must be something in the water).

In the case of Germany, I'd say it's more likely in the beer. 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:04 am

I agree with Uncle Sax.There are so many new bands today,theres something out there for everyone.Alot of young guys carrying the torch of the old guard.I dont have time to waste on alot of these "fake" bands because I'm searching out stuff I actually enjoy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:07 am

Quote :
Kids live in the now. Did metal start with the black album? Of course not. But to them? Maybe their metal did.

Exactly...cut kids some slack...bands like TRIVIUM, A7X, etc are made up of people younger than us...1991 means more to them than 1981...accept it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:16 am

The only "Fake" band I know of is Dragonforce. People like them. I don't understand why, but I don't gotta listen to them.

Quote :
1991 means more to them than 1981...accept it.

Perfect way to put it.
This is why I rarely listen to anything modern.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:19 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
Kids live in the now. Did metal start with the black album? Of course not. But to them? Maybe their metal did.

Exactly...cut kids some slack...bands like TRIVIUM, A7X, etc are made up of people younger than us...1991 means more to them than 1981...accept it.

I had say that would be more 2001 means alot more to them than 1991, to them Alice In Chains and Nirvana are ancient history.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:32 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

I had say that would be more 2001 means alot more to them than 1991, to them Alice In Chains and Nirvana are ancient history.

Maybe to the kids who listen to new bands, but not the members of new bands. When I took my son to see BREAKING BENJAMIN/THREE DAYS GRACE, I heard cover tunes/medleys of ALICE IN CHAINS, METALLICA (...Bell Tolls) & PANTERA...that's who influenced these new bands...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:33 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

Maybe to the kids who listen to new bands, but not the members of new bands. When I took my son to see BREAKING BENJAMIN/THREE DAYS GRACE, I heard cover tunes/medleys of ALICE IN CHAINS, METALLICA (...Bell Tolls) & PANTERA...that's who influenced these new bands...

Good point
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 am

...and I care more about 1971.

lol!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:32 am

Quote :

This is my exact belief. In fact! like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 56834 Casting off the newly minted crap and only listening to what I consider the cream of the crop of every era, how is Now not the best time for metal???

We still have what came before, it will never go away, and each new album that's killer gets added to the killer list. Either the "Killer" list gets longer and longer, or the top-100 gets denser and denser. Either way it's a win!! cheers
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:40 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

There's the "money shot" right there.

A major thing that isn't being considered, in my opinion, is personality. Most of us here are harcore metal fans. When we hear stuff, we want to know who influenced "X" band. We then dig and find other bands, which can lead us even further back. Most fans aren't like us. They like what they like, so they find more in the same style. Only the occasional one will be like us and start taking the trip backwards and even expanding on what he/she likes by finding bands under other metal sub-genres.

Let me use myself as an example. I am, as most of you know in no uncertain terms, one of the biggest thrash fans around. I was born in '78. I was a CHILD when thrash was born into the incarnation we all know. I didn't start getting into metal until I was 12 or 13. At that time thrash was beginning to crawl back into the underground after its run in the mainstream.

Me and some buddies were REALLY getting into thrash metal. I starting hunting for all the thrash I could find. I'd read the liner notes to see which bands were thanked so I could get MORE band names to check out, as those were obviously influences and peers. Fast forward to present day, and I know thrash metal up one side and down the other. I can rattle off the founding bands, and bands that were influencial in seeing the genre bloom. I can name you bands from almost every country around the world.

Well, I ran into one of my buddies recently from back then who got into metal and thrash with me. He still listens to metal from back in the day, but not much. He plays in a band now that is closer to the style of Tool than anything in the metal field. He wouldn't have a clue about the in's and out's of thrash like I do. He didn't follow that path like I did. His personality is different, his tastes are different. Back in the day, you would have said we were the same in that regard. Now? Not so much.

With that in mind, I say lay off the kids of today. Let 'em think what they will. The majority of them will move along to the next "big thing" and continue to think that metal started with the Black Album alongside Pantera. Let's be happy we get the occasional one that WANTS to know what we know, that WANTS to find the history we can help them with. We're the hardcore fans, guys. There has never been a huge number of us, and there never will be. However, those like us will still be here years from now. And guess what....they'll probably be having this SAME discussion!

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:41 am

DAMN! That post ended up being A LOT longer than I originally intended....

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:44 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:

It was worth it, very good post.

To me there are two types of music fans out there:

People who like music
People who LIVE music

I'm in the latter category, but most of the general population is in the former.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:37 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:

He doesn't say much, but when he does it's passionate!

This thread has given me alot of perSPECtive. I just thought about when I was the age that the kids that listen to whatever you're talking about now, was [run on sentence]. Anyways, I sure was not interested in who influenced Priest or Saxon or Maiden or Krokus [and, later, Destruction, Rogue Male, Rough Cutt, etc]. I lived in that now. I guess I can apply that to the kids of today.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 pm

I guess I was a weird kid because I became interested in the roots of alot bands I loved, and I am glad I did, because of Led Zeppelin for example I discovered The Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, Free, and even worked my way thru the blues like Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson all because I was curious where Led Zeppelin came from.

My love for Deep Purple, I also discovered the bands that spinned off from them such as Rainbow, Gillan, Whitesnake, Tommy Bolin and others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:49 pm

I think it's partly to do with radio. When I started listening everything was played on a station from Iron Maiden, The Beatles, Mott the Hoople, Black Sabbath to Styx. Everything is so tightly categorized now and maybe it's just not possible. It'd be weird to hear Arch Enemy with Def Leppard, Megadeth, AX7 and The Who. I wouldn't mind that much but I doubt if many others would like it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:51 pm

NumbskullakaNazgul wrote:
I think it's partly to do with radio. When I started listening everything was played on a station from Iron Maiden, The Beatles, Mott the Hoople, Black Sabbath to Styx. Everything is so tightly categorized now and maybe it's just not possible. It'd be weird to hear Arch Enemy with Def Leppard, Megadeth, AX7 and The Who. I wouldn't mind that much but I doubt if many others would like it.

I think that would be cool if radio was that diverse
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:52 pm

So I guess that it's the passion for the music that I see lacking in the scene today then. I know I was hungry for EVERYTHING that was metal back then. Magazines, books, tv-shows, movies, and of course the music. I guess the metal of today is just another fad for some people, and not something they are truly passionate about.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 pm

In defense to those snotty brat kids today, I am 39 and when I was growing up I didnot have as many distractions like kids have today, no internet, cable television sucked, renting movies was ok but it took like 50 years for a theatrical release to be released on VHS, and ATARI was really not something I could get addicted to.

I personally sought out information on music, read the magazines, bought VHS tapes, concerts etc, which my love of music grew as I got older, if I was kid nowadays I am not sure if music would have been my main interest with so many other entertainment options available. Of course to me music was not just entertainment but a lifestyle and a passion.

Last edited by manny on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 pm

kmorg wrote:
So I guess that it's the passion for the music that I see lacking in the scene today then. I know I was hungry for EVERYTHING that was metal back then. Magazines, books, tv-shows, movies, and of course the music. I guess the metal of today is just another fad for some people, and not something they are truly passionate about.
i'm sure it was that way back in the day as well, you were just one of the exceptions. just as, say Smindas is one of the exceptions of today.

sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 1:23 pm

kmorg wrote:

This is the faze I'm going through right now, damn plastic makes it easy to buy stuff I can't pay for. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I don't like new metal
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next