Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I don't like new metal

Go down 
+30
SideShowDisaSter
Thrasher73
journeyman
mez
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
DeathCult
Shiney
MetalRob331
DallasBlack
Trial by Fire
Schbopo
Mglaffas81
XYZ
MetalGuy71
sam
krokus
Stender
Lurideath
mc666
ultmetal
exact33
Gilbert
manny
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Rex
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
kmorg
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:

You'd have to hear me, I guess, to get it. I am like this in real life, but I just have fun with everything. That doesn't translate online.

wait till we get board with video posts! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:38 pm

metalmaniac122 wrote:
New metal like trivium, lamb of god, devildriver and mastodon would be alot better without downtuned guitars and sh*t singers.
What does down-tuned guitars have to do with it? Fans complain about this all the time, and it's clear they have no idea what key any band plays in because COUNTLESS bands down-tune these days! This is like all the complaints about John Schaffer's overuse of triplets. Haha. I love that. 99% of the time, he's not even playing a triplet.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
metalmaniac122 wrote:
New metal like trivium, lamb of god, devildriver and mastodon would be alot better without downtuned guitars and sh*t singers.
What does down-tuned guitars have to do with it? Fans complain about this all the time, and it's clear they have no idea what key any band plays in because COUNTLESS bands down-tune these days! This is like all the complaints about John Schaffer's overuse of triplets. Haha. I love that. 99% of the time, he's not even playing a triplet.

true, he actually plays the iron maiden gallop very, very fast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fans complain about this all the time, and it's clear they have no idea what key any band plays in because COUNTLESS bands down-tune these days!

Yep. People also seem to forget that detuned guitars go all the way back to numerous blues players, Neil Young, Stephen Stills, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi...the list is endless.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:57 pm

detuned wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Fans complain about this all the time, and it's clear they have no idea what key any band plays in because COUNTLESS bands down-tune these days!

Yep. People also seem to forget that detuned guitars go all the way back to numerous blues players, Neil Young, Stephen Stills, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi...the list is endless.

rush downtunes!! are they posers and smurf poo now!!!?
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:35 pm

The thing that bothered me is that these bands call themselves as revolutionary and even say that they are better than the bands that influenced them. They shouldn't call themselves metalheads.

The reason that I am not into these bands has to do that I was into christian rock and metal since I was a kid, and that kept me out of those bands that were very popular in the 90's.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Downtuning to Eb or D sounds a WHOLE LOT better in most instances than downtuning to, say B or A. You lose so much note definition there, especially with fast picking in extreme metal. I think that is one big reason so much of it released in the last 10 years or so has been so unlistenable.

Downtuning in and of itself may not be a bad thing but it's a matter of perspective and degree. Too many lazy, uninspired musicians think it makes their music "heavy" automatically.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:14 pm

manny wrote:
What I donot like about alot of the bands post 2000 is that alot of bands try to be mini versions of something that has already been done successfully, I like Slipknot, Lamb of God, Static X, but the world doesnot need a whole legion of 2nd rate versions of these bands.

I think alot of the newer bands just seem to follow what ever is popular in metal instead of just evolving naturally.

Exactly, The bands you mentioned I do like, but I am sick to death of the 2nd rate copycats.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:18 pm

I remember a time when you could tell an bands apart or identify by their guitar sound or the singers voice. Today it seems that most play like everyone else and the voices lack identity. Lots of these bands are technically good but without their individuallity they all run together
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:23 pm

skullsmasher wrote:
I remember a time when you could tell an bands apart or identify by their guitar sound or the singers voice. Today it seems that most play like everyone else and the voices lack identity. Lots of these bands are technically good but without their individuallity they all run together

I have to agree with these statement, but I think that happens all the time, after awhile it was hard to tell the grunge bands apart, hair metal, thrash, etc.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:31 pm

That is true, I guess there have always been the wannabes and the copycats
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:40 am

More good points there, ToB and skullsmasher!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 8:56 am

skullsmasher wrote:

My sentiments exactly! Well said!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 am

skullsmasher wrote:

Yep, that happens in pretty much all kinds of music. Jazz players used to be all about "tone", but in the 70's the music schools started pumping out "jazz musicians" by the hundreds...almost none of them had their own tone or conception, they all sounded like each other.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 9:21 pm

detuned wrote:
skullsmasher wrote:

Yep, that happens in pretty much all kinds of music. Jazz players used to be all about "tone", but in the 70's the music schools started pumping out "jazz musicians" by the hundreds...almost none of them had their own tone or conception, they all sounded like each other.

everybody jumping on the band wagon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I don't like new metal
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6