Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I don't like new metal

Go down 
+30
SideShowDisaSter
Thrasher73
journeyman
mez
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
DeathCult
Shiney
MetalRob331
DallasBlack
Trial by Fire
Schbopo
Mglaffas81
XYZ
MetalGuy71
sam
krokus
Stender
Lurideath
mc666
ultmetal
exact33
Gilbert
manny
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Rex
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
kmorg
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 3:04 pm

'scuse me, for livin' in the past
'scuse me when your fads don't last
'scuse me if I choose to be blind
You may not like it but I really don't mind

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 pm

detuned wrote:
'scuse me, for livin' in the past
'scuse me when your fads don't last
'scuse me if I choose to be blind
You may not like it but I really don't mind

🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 3:28 pm

detuned wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
DAMN! That post ended up being A LOT longer than I originally intended....

It was worth it, very good post.

To me there are two types of music fans out there:

People who like music
People who LIVE music

I'm in the latter category, but most of the general population is in the former.

Very well said! I agree and also fall under the latter catagory.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:22 pm

I desperatly tried to enjoy bands such as trivium, bullet for my valentine, disturbed and mastodon...I just couldn't. The smell of hardcore was always there...yaks sick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:55 pm

There is no smell of hardcore there, though. Not real hardcore, anyway.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I was going to say that as well but left it alone. I like a lot of hardcore bands, so even if there was I sure wouldn't mind it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I was going to say that as well but left it alone. I like a lot of hardcore bands, so even if there was I sure wouldn't mind it.
I encourage everyone to mirror my opinions. That way other people can agree without having to openly side with me. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I encourage everyone to mirror my opinions. That way other people can agree without having to openly side with me. Rolling Eyes

we can all be part of the Cult of Eyesore humble

I always go back to if you dont like it then dont listen. Listen to what you like and be happy...

Alex

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 6:50 pm

sam wrote:
kmorg wrote:
So I guess that it's the passion for the music that I see lacking in the scene today then. I know I was hungry for EVERYTHING that was metal back then. Magazines, books, tv-shows, movies, and of course the music. I guess the metal of today is just another fad for some people, and not something they are truly passionate about.

This is the faze I'm going through right now, damn plastic makes it easy to buy stuff I can't pay for. Razz

Watch it there, it can build up faster than you think. Between Feb. 2003-Sep. 2007 I built up over $16k in credit card debt. It took limiting my budget, working two jobs, and 1.33 years to shed it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 7:26 pm

Wow! I have just spent the last twenty minutes or so reading through and digesting the posts/ information contained on the last 5 pages. All I can say is that after a year and a half as a member of this board, I am proud to have the opportunity to be a witness to a passionate and spirited discourse on an emotional topic for all of us. Everyone thus far has kept it mature and above the belt and tried to put their opinions out there as eloquently and intelligently as possible. We all know that on message boards tempers can flare and the internet tough guy makes an appearance; but that is not the case here. Thank God for that.

I would like to say that I am glad there are a lot of new metal bands for us to listen to and debate. I look forward to discovering new bands (heck, I found 2 last week and now have 2 more discographies to complete) but I have only so much time and money. With all due respect to the "new" metal bands, I haven't finished my collections of the "old" metal yet. I still have 125-150 albums on my want list. I know that's not a lot to some people, but until I get them, I can't actively seek out new bands and discographies to delve into. I have some albums from new metal bands (I am purposefully shying away from naming anyone for fear of derailing my train of thought) that I enjoy, but as stated previously, there are some bands I have still never heard a complete album from; and I want to, and I will probably love them and want to complete their discography too. LOL.
As I have stated on other threads, I got into music at a young age (7-8 years old) b/c my uncle (who was my age at the time) got me to listen to albums of classic rock and metal bands. I am very lucky that this happened to me. Not everyone has that experience or is that fortunate. I now have a nice collection (1250+ CD's) that spans everything from Asia and Armored Saint to Mother Love Bone and Men At Work to Savatage and Satriani to Urge Overkill and ZZTop. Someone else stated here a few pages ago that they are a collector of 20th century music and a fan of 21st century music. I hope they don't mind me borrowing and adopting that phrase. Also, like eyesore has said in this thread and others, listen to what you like and don't listen to what you don't like. I think that's great advice. Peace.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 am

manny wrote:
I agree with Spec that hard rock/heavy metal is in better shape today than ever......

That it may be with many successful tours and tons of releases by new and old bands alike kept afloat by a large and still growing fanbase........but i think it's hit a creative void, things have become so fractured that everyone seems to have backed off into their little chosen sub genre both fan and band alike whether that be Thrash Metal, Euro Power Metal, (Re!)Progressive Metal, Stoner Rock, Doom Metal etc etc etc.

No one's out there on their own and making unique heavy music, the last heavy/hard rock band i heard that was unique and different was Earl Greyhound, but i'm struggling to find anyone else as i look around.

Granted there are some great new bands that play older (retro) music and inject it with a renewed attitude and energy......but it's only a handful of bands that can pull that off....... but way too many bands and releases being way too reverent and straight. As i say it's a fine line between these bands, that's why we argue about what's wheat and what's chaff.

But yeah, the more i think about that intense creativity in the early 90's and 70's the more i think that it's a rare and special occurence. I don't see why this can't happen again, everyone has access too many different musics and possible influences......maybe oversaturation has led people/musicians to refine their tastes more and more instead of expand hence Heavy Metal's current state of creative malaise.

Heavy Metal/Hard Rock needs a kick up the ass imo, it's resting on it's laurels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 am

exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
That reads wrong.

I just notice that I state my opinion so strongly that people often won't openly agree until someone else comes along and says the same thing. Then a bunch a people are like, "I agree" and "+1" and so on. Haha.

And that's on any forum I've ever posted on. In real life, I am sweet and shy. Go figure. Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:58 am

Actually, I'm just afraid to disagree with you! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 am

detuned wrote:
Actually, I'm just afraid to disagree with you! lol!
lol!

That, too. Everyone thinks I'm all mean and angry. Man, I don't take anything away from anyone. I respect everyone's opinion unless it's just downright retarded, like Gooch saying Sevendust sounds like Korn, then later admits he's never heard Sevendust. I can't get down with that. Haha.

You'd have to hear me, I guess, to get it. I am like this in real life, but I just have fun with everything. That doesn't translate online.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 am

rattpoison wrote:
manny wrote:
I agree with Spec that hard rock/heavy metal is in better shape today than ever......

Euro Power Metal, (Re!)Progressive Metal

Heavy Metal/Hard Rock needs a kick up the ass imo, it's resting on it's laurels.

A broad group that I insist on calling "Power Cheese". I do think that this took a great leap forward in complexity and production etc. in the late 90's, especially the Euro bands. I really admired that. But it does seem to have gotten stuck again, although I shouldn't say because I don't follow it that close right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 am

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
That reads wrong.

I just notice that I state my opinion so strongly that people often won't openly agree until someone else comes along and says the same thing. Then a bunch a people are like, "I agree" and "+1" and so on. Haha.

And that's on any forum I've ever posted on. In real life, I am sweet and shy. Go figure. Haha.

The peeps online that don't know the physical you, probably don't know that you are a brilliant writer at heart. And can verbalize/express your thoughts and feeling with the printed word, much better than most of us. That is what gives ya the confidence to come off a bit [a lot] stronger or more passionate than us. That is why I did not understand you at first [it only took about 7500 posts - ha!]. So, anybody reading this - It's ok to disagree with da 'sore, just be mature and insiteful, less ye feel the wrath of a jagged barb of criticism.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 am

If I dont agree with someone I will let them know but not in a disrespectful way, and if I do agree with them they get a big 🤘

As far as EYE being hard to get along I never had that problem we share a lot of the same opinions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:49 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
A broad group that I insist on calling "Power Cheese".

Laughing very hard

Oh man, that's awesome, brilliant. Post of the day.

I really like your definitions, "retrograde" was another one I like, most of the bands I listen to would fall into that category.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:01 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
sam wrote:
kmorg wrote:
So I guess that it's the passion for the music that I see lacking in the scene today then. I know I was hungry for EVERYTHING that was metal back then. Magazines, books, tv-shows, movies, and of course the music. I guess the metal of today is just another fad for some people, and not something they are truly passionate about.

This is the faze I'm going through right now, damn plastic makes it easy to buy stuff I can't pay for. Razz

Watch it there, it can build up faster than you think. Between Feb. 2003-Sep. 2007 I built up over $16k in credit card debt. It took limiting my budget, working two jobs, and 1.33 years to shed it.

thankfully my brain kicks in whenever it gets too much, I quit buying period (except gas and food) and pay it all off, then the damn cycle repeats. But I watch my budgets to kept them from getting out of hand. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:24 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Wow! I have just spent the last twenty minutes or so reading through and digesting the posts/ information contained on the last 5 pages. All I can say is that after a year and a half as a member of this board, I am proud to have the opportunity to be a witness to a passionate and spirited discourse on an emotional topic for all of us. Everyone thus far has kept it mature and above the belt and tried to put their opinions out there as eloquently and intelligently as possible. We all know that on message boards tempers can flare and the internet tough guy makes an appearance; but that is not the case here. Thank God for that.

I would like to say that I am glad there are a lot of new metal bands for us to listen to and debate. I look forward to discovering new bands (heck, I found 2 last week and now have 2 more discographies to complete) but I have only so much time and money. With all due respect to the "new" metal bands, I haven't finished my collections of the "old" metal yet. I still have 125-150 albums on my want list. I know that's not a lot to some people, but until I get them, I can't actively seek out new bands and discographies to delve into. I have some albums from new metal bands (I am purposefully shying away from naming anyone for fear of derailing my train of thought) that I enjoy, but as stated previously, there are some bands I have still never heard a complete album from; and I want to, and I will probably love them and want to complete their discography too. LOL.
As I have stated on other threads, I got into music at a young age (7-8 years old) b/c my uncle (who was my age at the time) got me to listen to albums of classic rock and metal bands. I am very lucky that this happened to me. Not everyone has that experience or is that fortunate. I now have a nice collection (1250+ CD's) that spans everything from Asia and Armored Saint to Mother Love Bone and Men At Work to Savatage and Satriani to Urge Overkill and ZZTop. Someone else stated here a few pages ago that they are a collector of 20th century music and a fan of 21st century music. I hope they don't mind me borrowing and adopting that phrase. Also, like eyesore has said in this thread and others, listen to what you like and don't listen to what you don't like. I think that's great advice. Peace.

In the first part of your post you were thankful that no flame wars had erupted in this thread. Then you go on trying to start one by mentioning Men At Work and Savatage in the same sentece? angry angry sick sick insane insane :kickbutt: like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 37951:

DARN, you made me doo it too! like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 811939 like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 811939 crazy happy

lol!

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:50 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
That reads wrong.

The peeps online that don't know the physical you, probably don't know that you are a brilliant writer at heart. And can verbalize/express your thoughts and feeling with the printed word, much better than most of us. That is what gives ya the confidence to come off a bit [a lot] stronger or more passionate than us. That is why I did not understand you at first [it only took about 7500 posts - ha!]. So, anybody reading this - It's ok to disagree with da 'sore, just be mature and insiteful, less ye feel the wrath of a jagged barb of criticism.
Haha. Thanks, bro!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 pm

The peeps online that don't know the physical you, probably don't know that you are a brilliant writer at heart. And can verbalize/express your thoughts and feeling with the printed word, much better than most of us. That is what gives ya the confidence to come off a bit [a lot] stronger or more passionate than us. That is why I did not understand you at first [it only took about 7500 posts - ha!]. So, anybody reading this - It's ok to disagree with da 'sore, just be mature and insiteful, less ye feel the wrath of a jagged barb of criticism.[/quote]

I only have 4610 postings to go before I fully understand Eyesore.
Back to top Go down
metalmaniac122
Metal student
Metal student
metalmaniac122

Number of posts : 137

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm

New metal like trivium, lamb of god, devildriver and mastodon would be alot better without downtuned guitars and sh*t singers.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:09 pm

metalmaniac122 wrote:
New metal like trivium, lamb of god, devildriver and mastodon would be alot better without downtuned guitars and sh*t singers.

Those downtuned guitars are what give them there sound and I have to disagree with the vocalists here except for Randy who is a pretty below par singer but fits LOG music. Matt from Trivium has a killer voice IMO and Dez has one killer unique voice from Devildriver. When he was in Coal Chamber he was amazing and had a very different voice then most of the singers doing that same style.

What people tend to miss here is tons of bands not just Newer ones downtune there guitars.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:35 pm

metalmaniac122 wrote:
lamb of god,would be alot better without downtuned guitars and sh*t singers.

they only play in drop d, that ain't very far down and I guess I'm the only person on this board who enjoys randy's vocals. silent
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't like new metal   like new metal - I don't like new metal - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I don't like new metal
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next