Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)

Go down 
+6
scottmitchell74
Wargod
mr.electric39
Required Fields
kmorg
Shiney
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 5:19 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
I hate to admit it, but I agree with every single thing Eyesore wrote in the last 2 posts. BTW, if you hadn't heard, Dave Blood committed suicide. So there goes any Dead Milkmen reunion.
Yeah, he did that like two years ago, right? Sad stuff. Definitely no reunion, I would think. Though they did do a tribute show in Dave's honor with another bass player, so you never know.

Joe has released some post-DM stuff, but it's not been all that good. Not sure what Dean has done? Rodney did a side project called Burn Witch Burn, which was really cool, but they only released one demo and a full-length. Rodney also has a pretty funny website (http://www.rodneyanonymous.com) now.

And what's with the "I hate to admit it" crap?!? lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 pm

I have Butterfly Joe on my tradelist right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 9:30 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
I have Butterfly Joe on my tradelist right now.
Saw that before. I own that one. Not very good. I also have his demos CD. Again, not very good. Although there is one really oddball track that is great. It's very atmospheric and out of character.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 9:55 pm

Yup - I have the demos as well (and everything else they ever touched, minus the "Now we are 10" fan club cassette). I have some DM good boots I'll burn ya next time around. My wife still sleeps in my old Big Lizard t-shirt every night!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 10:29 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Yup - I have the demos as well (and everything else they ever touched, minus the "Now we are 10" fan club cassette). I have some DM good boots I'll burn ya next time around. My wife still sleeps in my old Big Lizard t-shirt every night!
I have an old, old, old (and really horrible) song that me and a friend wrote in tribute to The Dead Milkmen. It's called "The Cows That Killed 'Em." I was like 14 when it was done. It's really bad. Haha.

I also don't have the Now We Are 10 album. Wish I did.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
14. Pro-pain - Down For The Cause
I've always meant to try these guys (isn't Gary Meskil (sp?) from Crumbsuckers in this band?). Hardcore / groove mixture. Not bad at all. I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. Cool melodic sound during the chorus.
Another one of my all-time favorite bands. I can't recommend them enough. They haven't released a bad album yet. Their last three albums have them on a serious metal-meets-thrash-meets-hardcore bent. Much moreso than before! And I don't care what anyone says, Meskill writes some killer solos! And yes, he was in Crumbsuckers. If you want, I can send you a CD with a song or two from each album. Let me know! These guys deserve more fans.

I just put Foul Taste Of Freedom, Truth Hurts, and Contents Under Pressure on my LaLa want list. We'll see if anyone sends.

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 6:54 pm

Why only those three? Foul Taste and The Truth Hurts are probably the two most different Pro-Pain albums Meskil has done. Foul Taste is very groove-oriented, but lack that production "punch." I'd like him to re-record it. Solid album, though, just a little different and not as heavy. The Truth Hurts is their heaviest album. Meskil's vocals are really different. Like a black metal/death metal hybrid. It's weird. Processed maybe? Still, aside from Iced T screwing up a song, it's a killer album. Contents Under Pressure is also good, but Meskil was without a drummer at the time, so he used a drum machine. It sounds good, but it sounds like a good drum machine.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Kinda gonna feel my way through their discography. I also added Act Of God, as the review I found of it said it was their "thrashiest" album".

And wouldn't you know it, The Truth Hurts and Contents Under Pressure are already on the way.Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 7:37 pm

All Pro-Pain's output since 2000 would be up your alley, SSD. I think "Act of God" is my fav. Don't get me wrong - I would take either Crumbsuckers album before any of the Pro-Pain stuff. But that is just how I am built.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2007 5:10 pm

OK, so here is finally a review of RF's comp!! Sorry bro, but I couldn't do it faster !! Sad (hope you got mine, you should by now Smile )

1. SLAUGHTER - Not Dead Yet
I'm familiar with this band from before although I never really cared to really listen to them .. Cool stuff here! Sorta musicially like the newer Infernal Majesty!

2. ANONYMUS - Ni Vu, Ni connu
A band that I knew only by name before - solid stuff here, pretty typical though - except for the vocals / lyrics (in French, right? Smile )

3. DEMONOMACY - Hatedoxy
Who? What? Smile Well, I assume that this is a local Canadian band. Very raw, demo sound, I liked the music (sorta like your '86 full throttle stuff), but I couldn't get into vocals ...

4. DISCIPLES OF POWER - Chains of Reason
A band I was really looking forward to hear since it was another one I knew only by name + they're from Canada + I saw them mentioned next to Razor many times Smile While the vocals may not be totally my cup of tea, the music totally blew me away!!!!

5. DEADLY BLESSING - Good as Dead
Yet another band everyone was talking about and I had no idea how they sound. I must say that I really didn't expect them to be so thrash-y!!! Killer stuff indeed - gotta find the album now.

6. PINK STEEL - Sausage Party
Hahaha ... Smile Well, I think that this song sounds even more funny if you've ever been to Germany on festivals / shows - cause it's exactly like it!!!!! Hahaha Smile Where are they from?

7. EUDOXIS - Attack from Above
Another great discovery - another band that I was familiar before just by the name. Killer raspy vocals and and pretty diverse music - another one for the good old want list Smile

8. TOKYO BLADE - Sunrise in Tokyo
Excellent melodic heavy stuff!!!! The riffing reminds me a bit on Grave Digger's Heavy Metal Breakdown - from what year is this one?

9. CRIMSON GLORY - Dream Dancer
Yet another one I missed in the past (After 1 song from Roadrunner VHS compilation, this is my first CG listening!). Well, as expected, this one sounds a lot like early Queensryche! (great vocalist as well!)

10. TORTURE SQUAD - World of Misery
Now this is a band with which I was familiar years ago - great stuff, but I just kinda lost interest in them. Nice reminder here - this is one of the best new thrash bands, totally ripping stuff!!

11. ACRIDITY - For Freedom I Cry
Another band that I was really looking forward to hear. Well, that's very mediocre stuff here - is the whole album like this??? :/

12. INQUISICION - Innocent Sinner
"Who?" again, haha Smile Very nice 90s (I'd say) heavy / power with foreign vocals / at least accent! (Where are they from, anyway?)

13. NAPALM DEATH - You Suffer
Hm ... A couple of seconds of pure magic! haha Smile

14. CONTROL DENIED - Consumed
Great stuff - I need to buy this album some time! R.I.P. C.S.

15. SHOK PARIS - Battle Cry
I've heard for this band a long time ago - they were playing at Wacken in 2002, or 2003 I think - but I never heard any of their albums! This one sounds like a total early Dio worship!!! I like it! Smile

16. BITTER END - Profits of Doom
I actually got this album on original around the time this comp arrived - I must say that I was really surprised at first, as I expected just the normal wannabe-Testament stuff, but it turned out as a much more diverse thing! Definitely a grower and overall very cool track (& album).

17. GREAT COVER ART OF THE COMP! Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2007 7:21 pm

Nice comp RF! Show us the "cover art" sov-y.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 12:57 am

SAXON1500, check your messages.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 4:48 pm

I was wondering, have these comps run their course ? How about a change of idea maybe ? like instead of songs, would sending full CDs be a runner ? maybe in MP3 format ? they are simple to put together and you'd put at least 7 CDs on to the one disc and it may be a better way of finding new music as I feel that a single song is not represetative of a bands true style on occasions.

Yes I know alot of you guys have broadband and can download albums at the push of the button but also there are alot of collectors here who love having the finished material in their hands, artwork etc... and I think this idea could work. Will it harm the industry ? I don't think so and it may be a better way of informing others of new (or old) releases out there that they may never get a chance to hear from just checking out one song.

Anyone have any ideas ?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 3:57 pm

I received my comps, sovdat. Thanks! I will review them later.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 6:24 pm

It's been VERY cool....but the match-ups for Comp IV started May 10 and the turn around and review has been so slow this time. (There's still CDs moving and reviews yet to be done) I think each time we've done this it's taken a little longer and been slower. I'd say let's give it a rest for a while. Great fun....but let's rest...

Of course....it doesn't have to stop at all....individuals can rest....that's another part of it. So, I'd say talk amongst yourselves. If I or others want to rest, but others want to carry on....why not carry on....
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 11:41 pm

I received my comps from sovdat this afternoon. Here is the tracklist for both albums. The best songs on it are bolded.

CD 1:
1. Sarcasm - Road Warriors
2. Aversion - Go My Way
3. Phantom Lord - Wicked World
4. Pyracanda - Delirium Tremens
5. Recipients of Death - Seizure
6. Reverend - Ritual
7. Target - Under Dominion of Death
8. Usurper - Egoistic Mind
9. Negligence - 1st track from first demo
10. Enemynside - Speed Killing
11. E-X-E - Slayer
12. Crossbreed - Metal Never Dies
13. Drinking Skull - Metal God
14. Gargoyle - Destroy
15. Graven Image - No Rest for the Wicked
16. Hellias - Intro
17. Hellias - Warrior of Evil
18. Metal Lady - Kixsi Katonam

One thing that's weird, is that the Aversion song also appeared on the third Comp Swap! Isn't that a little coincidence.

CD 2:
1. Mortician - No War (the Austrian heavy metal band, not the awful American death metal band)
2. Mezzrow - Ancient Terror
3. Necronomicon - Mosh in the ABC
4. Num Skull - No Morals
5. Toranaga - Psychotic
6. Salem's Law - Thunder From the Gods
7. Shah - Escape
8. Slammer - God's Prey
9. Wild Pussy - Vigil
10. Renegade - Riot Squad Gladiator
11. Ulysses Siren - Terrorist Attack
12. United - Holy Dive Screamer
13. Massacra - Near Death Experience
14. Master's Hammer - Satrapold
15. Militia - Objective Termination
16. Delirious - Fallen to the Magical Delusion

Overall, I think I like CD 1 slightly more. The Crossbreed song is the best one on either album. Off of the second CD, I think I like Ulysses Siren or Mezzrow best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)   COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP IV (and the reviews)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3