Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albums people always rag on...

Go down 
+27
KingPest
Mattallica667
kmorg
journeyman
scottmitchell74
King D
DallasBlack
Leatherface
Chairman_Smith
Required Fields
Temple of Blood
DeathCult
SAHB Healer
the sentinel
tohostudios
Thrasher73
mc666
XYZ
T-Roy
Schbopo
MetalRob331
Stender
manny
stevegarveyfan
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 2:23 pm

Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

This album seems to be a love it or hate it release. Therion used to be my favorite band until they dropped this turd. If I want to hear 70s prog, I'll listen to Jethro Tull, Kansas or King Crimson. The band scaled way back on the symphonic/operatic stylings I loved so much and replaced it with sprawling, hookless songs. It didn't help that this followed the release of Lemuria/Sirius B which I consider a classic.

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 2:26 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

This album seems to be a love it or hate it release. Therion used to be my favorite band until they dropped this turd. If I want to hear 70s prog, I'll listen to Jethro Tull, Kansas or King Crimson. The band scaled way back on the symphonic/operatic stylings I loved so much and replaced it with sprawling, hookless songs. It didn't help that this followed the release of Lemuria/Sirius B which I consider a classic.
This album is definitely different, and, yes, Lemuria/Sirius B is brilliant, but Gothic is still a really solid album. It's just very different. See, I like bands like Dead Can Dance and such, so all these new sounds they moved up front worked for me. Anyone looking for metal, however, will not find it here.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 2:36 pm

Once Dead - Visions of Hell
Ok, the recording is a bit raw and the vocals more "core" than most thrash fans would care for, but the songs are quite good. Personally, I don't even mind the vocals and think they fit quite well in some songs. "Body Parts" and "The Contract" RULE! "Body Parts" would have been a killer Hirax song!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 3:18 pm

Accept-Russian Roulte-This album has been slammed by metal fans, I like it especially 'Monster Man'

Deep Purple-Come Taste the Band-Also overlooked and sole studio album featuring Tommy Bolin I feel is an excellent Purple disc. Bolin does not play, sound, look or write like Blackmore but it is a great album and was a great guitartist.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 3:26 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Ok, the recording is a bit raw and the vocals more "core" than most thrash fans would care for, but the songs are quite good. Personally, I don't even mind the vocals and think they fit quite well in some songs. "Body Parts" and "The Contract" RULE! "Body Parts" would have been a killer Hirax song!
i think Visions of Hell is better than anything VR ever put out.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 3:52 pm

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
i think Visions of Hell is better than anything VR ever put out.

Really? Why is that? Didn't like the vocals on VR?

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 4:09 pm

yeah i never cared for Martinez's vocals. plus the new material just seems more intense to me. like you stated, a few of these songs could have been Hirax songs.

i did like VR before, but never bought into the hype surrounding them.

the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 5:40 pm

Queensryche - Promised Land
Dokken - Dysfunctional

I have played the heck out of those 2 over the last 12 years or so. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 7:19 pm

Ha!

Celtic Frost- Cold Lake
I've always felt this one was meant as something of a joke, so I've always taken it that way. That being said it's one of my TOP TEN favorite albums of all time by anybody ever. I just love it.

Overkill- I Hear Black
Ok, I'm not a Thrash guy, but This one is also top 50 for me. I love it too.

Seventh Star
Another of my top 50 ever.

Deep Purple- Come Taste The Band
Yet another favorite.

maybe I just like bad albums? Some others that I enjoy:

Journey- Next and Look Into The Future
Neither Journey fans nor Journey haters seem to like them, but as you may know, they have been classics for me for over 30 years now.

Voivod- The Outer Limits
Mantas- S/T (Yes it's super cheesy, but I still like it)
Nugent- Penetrator (also super cheesy, but I like Brian Howe Bad Co. too)

I've embarrassed my self enough for one year. I'm off on two weeks vacation. You guys have a Happy Nude Year!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 7:21 pm

Black Sabbath- Born Again

Never understood the big stink about it. Probably my favorite album of all time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 8:58 pm

How about Judas Priest - Turbo ? It seems everyone hates this albumbut I like it for what it is (it certainly is their worst but still is pretty good,I think)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 8:59 pm

The two biggest underrated albums I think are:

DESTRUCTION - Cracked Brain
BLACK SABBATH - Seventh Star
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:51 pm

Testament - Souls of Black
I like this album a lot. It sounds like Testament to me.

Pestilence - Spheres
I don't know why people hate this album so much.

Vio-Lence - Nothing to Gain
I always liked this one, even if it's not as intense as the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 11:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Guardian - Bottle Rocket
and yes, it deserves all the negative criticism it gets! sick

So is it really in your collection or do you just keep it there to stop getting them? lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 12:39 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Guardian - Bottle Rocket
and yes, it deserves all the negative criticism it gets! sick

So is it really in your collection or do you just keep it there to stop getting them? lol!

No. It's really in my collection.

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 12:43 am

Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:04 am

Flotsam and Jetsam-When the Storm Comes Down. Always liked this record. Suffer the Masses, E.M.T.E.K. and others from this record are all good songs. A very solid record at least(could have used a better album cover though).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:06 am

Black Label Society - Hangover Music Vol. VI
I thought this CD had kind of a cool sound, but alot of hate for it for some reason.

Black Label Society - Shot To Hell
Don't know why this album is so hated, I liked it since i bought it. In fact i'd assumed it was considered a killer album until I read a torrent of negative reviews.

Van Halen - VH3
I bought it out of curiosity and ended up enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Tourniquet-Crawl To China (yeah, this was an obvious attempt at mainstream acceptance but I was new to Tourniquet so that didn't stop me from enjoying somer great hooky songs-a personal favorite)

Testament-The Ritual (my first Testament album and I still love it-Return To Serinity has one of the best guitar solos ever)

Overkill-I Hear Black (another first for me and I have loved this album for over a decade)

Metallica-The Black Album (my first metal album ever, I owe my metal fandom to this album)

Megadeth-Youthanasia (even less heavy that Countdown, but great songs-Addicted To Chaos is a ubber awesome song)

Kamelot-Ghost Opera (I like it on occasions, bores me on others-If the next album does the same, they will most likely loose me as a fan)

Savatage-Fight For The Rock (weakest album but I still enjoy the songs-even the Day After Day cover)

Judas Priest-Jugulator (I loved the heaviness of this album and while it doesn't compare to the classics, I still love it)

Therion-Gothic Kabbalah (I enjoyed it for what it was, a experimental sound that was a departure from the norm-I have a feeling the next one will be back to form, but I could be wrong)

Nightwish-Dark Passion Play (I really miss Tarja but the new vocalist has a good unique voice and the music is greatly enjoyable for me-of course I am a big fan of the bombastic)

Dream Theater-Falling Into Infinity (raged on by even the band itself, but I really like the album and the songs therein)
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
King D
Metal novice
Metal novice
King D

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 6:45 pm

I definitely agree on all the people who said Queensryche's "Promised Land". So what if it isn't as metal as their older stuff... it's still really awesome for what it is. People sometimes... *eyeroll*

Also, this might not be common everywhere, but I see Toxik's "Think This" ragged on sometimes... or at least it's VERY underrated. In my opinion, that album KILLS World Circus!! The singer is even better than Mike Sanders was! (Mike Sanders, imo, was one of the most annoying falsetto-y singers. I really like guys like King Diamond, John Cyriis, etc.; but Mike Sanders.... UGH.)
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 6:58 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Nightwish-Dark Passion Play (I really miss Tarja but the new vocalist has a good unique voice and the music is greatly enjoyable for me-of course I am a big fan of the bombastic)

I dont mind the album, but Annette sounds like everyother female vocalist in this genre. Tarja seperated them from the pack.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 7:00 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I dont mind the album, but Annette sounds like everyother female vocalist in this genre. Tarja seperated them from the pack.

Yep. And Tarja made Tuomas' overwrought, bloated songs palatable. Annette...not so much.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Quote :
Metallica - black album
I see this one ragged on constantly by metal fans. It's not thrash, but I still enjoy it. A heavy album with a commercial appeal that obviously worked at it sold like gangbusters.

This is a great album.

Quote :
Deliverance - River Disturbance

All these years later, it's still my least favorite of the early years, but it's grown on me to the point (or I've grown) that I think it's a very good album.

Quote :
Stryper, AGAINST THE LAW

Good-to-great album!

Quote :

I love this album.

Quote :
Kamelot-Ghost Opera

Black Halo's high points are super-high, but half of that album puts me to sleep. Ghost Opera is better overall in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Quote :

Quote:
Kamelot-Ghost Opera

Black Halo's high points are super-high, but half of that album puts me to sleep. Ghost Opera is better overall in my opinion.

Black Halo lost me so badly that I never even bothered with Ghost Opera. And I have the rest of the Kamelot catalog including the live album. But I so hated Black Halo that I dropped the band like a stone.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Interesting.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums people always rag on...   Albums people always rag on... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums people always rag on...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next