Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Create Your Own genre!

Go down 
+7
EvyMetal
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Troublezone
mc666
AngelRipper16
SAHB Healer
11 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Create Your Own genre! Empty
PostSubject: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 12:57 am

Tired of being corrected on what your favorite music is called? Why not create your own personal genres? Then you'll at least know what you are talking about, even if nobody else does!
Here are several of my own examples. I like old Classic Hard Rock, as well as Neo-retro Hard Rock. But I prefer the basic heavier stuff over the more artistic bands. I call my genre Retrograde Rock.
Then there is recent metal. Most of it (Power Metal, Prog Metal, Melodic Metal, Traditional Metal) is all the same mood for me, so I'm going to lump it all together under the banner of Big Cheese.

I also like old Prog Rock. But not so much the classic complex epics as much as the more accessible, poppy side of it. So I combine Prog, Pop, and Pomp to get the genre Prop.
So next time someone asks me what kind of music I like I'll say Big Cheese, Prop, and Retrograde. At least I'll know what I mean.
Feel free to make up your own genre!
Back to top Go down
AngelRipper16
Metal novice
Metal novice
AngelRipper16

Number of posts : 99

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 1:10 am

I think I would put Black Metal and Death Metal into one genre called Brutametal. And Prog should be called Wankeymetal. And all those Nu-metal, Grindcore, alternative, avant-garde... should be in one genre called Wannabe.

lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 1:18 am

it doesn't matter how it's classified, i like what i like. 99.99999% of it is hard guitar based music in one form or another. just call me a hard guitar music fan.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17094

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:39 am

mc666 wrote:
it doesn't matter how it's classified, i like what i like. 99.99999% of it is hard guitar based music in one form or another. just call me a hard guitar music fan.

What do you think about easy guitar? Razz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 8:17 am

I like Gleaze.

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:51 am

RIFFUS-MAXIMUS!

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 10:34 am

For nu-metal we should call it Smurf Metal! (FYI - the curse filter didn't do anything, that's why I wrote!)
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:20 pm

I've lumped the heavy sounding bands that have riffs and melodies that sound very happy into their new genre: Cloud Metal, those riffs just make me wanna jump around on clouds. (i.e. Cliffs Of Dover - Eric Johnson, Skeletons at the Feast - Spock's Beard)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:34 pm

Prime purveyors of GLEAZE:

Hardcore Superstar
Backyard Babies
Wig Wam
Gemini 5
Hanoi Rocks
Beautiful Creatures

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:19 pm

Buddist Metal!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:23 pm

I call bands like Dark Angel "Chaotic Thrash".
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Neanderthal Rock!

the genre for all those old rock bands still going. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Taco rock
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 5:19 am

Flash Rock, not to be confused with Sunset Stripper Metal and Lifeguard Glam. The true descendant's n' decadents of Bolan's early 70's Glam Rock revolution.....aka the 'Sons Of The Dolls'.

Purveyors include.......

Hanoi Rocks
Lords Of The New Church
Mother Love Bone
Chainsaw Kittens
Dogs D'Amour
The Jacobites
Redd Kross
Guns N' Roses
Smack
The Joneses
The Nymphs
Motorcycle Boy
Gunfire Dance
Dramarama
Manic Street Preachers

etc.........
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 7:04 pm

mc666 wrote:

I'd like to call it the opposite of Easy Listening: Hard Listening!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 7:05 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I like Gleaze.

If you mix some Punk in with Gleaze, can we call it Slam?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 7:10 pm

Sucks or doesnt suck. Easy enough
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 8:04 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I like Gleaze.

If you mix some Punk in with Gleaze, can we call it Slam?

Funny, because I almost called some of my faves "Slam". That category works for me as well.

PostSubject: Re: Create Your Own genre!   Create Your Own genre! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Create Your Own genre!
Page 1 of 1