Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading

Go down 
+35
TheDoctor'sScarf
mez
Addy
shamgar75
TheGooch
SlaytanicPOWER
chewie
powermacho
Gilbert
ryanmetalman
Wargod
krokus
Leatherface
JBall_Z
metalken
Shawn Of Fire
snooloui
adrian
Lari
troublemagnet
GrandNational
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
Zdan
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
kmorg
Thrasher73
Metal Misfit
exact33
manny
mc666
Sinistar
39 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Empty
PostSubject: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 11:59 am

Hi, just registered after lurking awhile. Since you guys seem to be a nice bunch, I decided to join.

Perhaps you've discussed this in older threads....

But what are your thoughts on downloading music vs. buying cds?

I feel like a dinosaur....but I still want the cd and artwork. To me, it's a big part of collecting music. (I still have a number lps and 45s too)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:16 pm

welcome, you'll find that most peeps here are cd & vinyl collectors as well. most of us prefer the physical releases.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:30 pm

I prefer owning a physical product, owning an album as a download only, I do not feel I own a thing, except a 'file' not very exciting and I prefer to hold it in my hands, open up the booklet etc.

I guess that makes me a dinosaur but I just can't get into owning my music in a digital format.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Sinistar wrote:
Hi, just registered after lurking awhile. Since you guys seem to be a nice bunch, I decided to join.

Perhaps you've discussed this in older threads....

But what are your thoughts on downloading music vs. buying cds?

I feel like a dinosaur....but I still want the cd and artwork. To me, it's a big part of collecting music. (I still have a number lps and 45s too)

I prefer to own the cd. I like the art and seeing how a band presents their material. Downloading leaves me kinda cold when I have done it...

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Physical copy for me, for the same reason Manny mentioned. I don't feel like I "own it".

But I will download if a band I like offers a free track, or for iTunes exclusive singles like Alice Cooper's "Keepin' Halloween Alive" and Buckcherry's "Christmas Is Here" and whenever Amazon tells me I have a $1 MP3 credit.

There are a number of albums I would love to own that are OOP or just rare and expensive that can easily be downloaded off iTunes at a decent price (or even for free if you do a simple Google search) but I still wait for the real thing.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:57 pm

I get those $1 mp3 credit things from Amazon. I don't know what to do with them!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Like most here I'd rather have the physical copy.I never download.I guess Im old school,but I would rather have the artwork in front of me and read through all the lyrics and liner notes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 1:20 pm

I love the convenience of having 300000 songs at my fingertips. But, all but about 5 songs, I actually dl'd from my original discs.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 1:35 pm

CD's all the way.

Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Good. Glad I'm not alone.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 1:46 pm

CDs. I don't waste my time with downloads. If I own the CD, I can put it on my Ipod just as easy and I actually own something of tangible value.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 2:32 pm

manny wrote:
I prefer owning a physical product, owning an album as a download only, I do not feel I own a thing, except a 'file' not very exciting and I prefer to hold it in my hands, open up the booklet etc.

I guess that makes me a dinosaur but I just can't get into owning my music in a digital format.

Same here. Add to that that I work with computers day in and day out. And I know how tempermental they can be. In one stroke of the keyboard, everything could be lost forever. Having the physical cd is all the back-up I need.

It's a generational/age thing too. Much in the same way my grandparents feared new technology, like the VCR which they unplugged whenever it wasn't being used ("it heats-up and could catch fire"), I have a general mistrust for computers. I don't think I could ever trust my music collection to a hard drive.

Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Generational thing, yea.

I tell ya these kids today...amazes me how many of them have no problem with illegal downloading. My coworker's daughter just blew $400 on a tattoo, but doesn't pay a dime for her music.

(not to be judgmental or anything)
Razz
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Yea, I'm not even going to get into "illegal vs. paid downloads". I want a physical copy with artwork. Period.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:13 pm

I am with the physical copy crowd here. I need it. And if I can get a limited edition/know they are still available I need that too (with the caveat that said edition includes additional music).
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Sinistar wrote:
I get those $1 mp3 credit things from Amazon. I don't know what to do with them!! Laughing

Use them!!!! What I do with them is use them to buy songs where I don't have an interest in owning the whole album. Maybe a single I like, or a Christmas song or '80s pop, some alternative stuff, whatever. Or you could use them to sample new bands/albums you're not sure about yet.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Sinistar wrote:

Use them!!!! What I do with them is use them to buy songs where I don't have an interest in owning the whole album. Maybe a single I like, or a Christmas song or '80s pop, some alternative stuff, whatever. Or you could use them to sample new bands/albums you're not sure about yet.

ok...I'll look into it. I'm so backward with that sort of thing.

I'm going to go to my account and see if I can find how much credit I have.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:00 pm

CDs but I will download on rare occasions (though I'll feel bad about it-unless it's some radio hit, I consider that in the public domain).

The temptaion is strong though when your income is limited.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:08 pm

If it ain't CD then it's crap.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
If it ain't CD then it's crap.

lol!

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:14 pm

I prefer to own a physical copy of the album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:
CDs. I don't waste my time with downloads. If I own the CD, I can put it on my Ipod just as easy and I actually own something of tangible value.

This
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:19 pm

I love owning the whole album but I will say, I can get more music by downloading and on my budget that's a big deal. I itemize. Some are must buy albums and some i'm willing to download. Mostly it's still buying the album but........
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Oh, I will dowload the Running Wild albums from Amazon (and any other hard to find albums) due to the ridiculous prices they command.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading   Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:33 pm

I buy about 3-4 cds a month and download about the same. For some reason, I also burn everything i download and make covers and cd inlay cards for them.
Back to top Go down

Metal (or any genre) cds vs. downloading
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next