Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!

Go down 
+11
MetalGuy71
metalinmyveins
the sentinel
GrandNational
DeathCult
Schbopo
Addy
Troublezone
Leatherface
manny
Fat Freddy
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Empty
PostSubject: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Yea, I know, I'm probably the only one here who will even give a sh*t, but I had to share the news anyway:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/story/finally-howard-duck-comes-dvd

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 pm

A sign of the apocalypse.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 1:51 pm

spectrefate wrote:
A sign of the apocalypse.

...or perhaps a sign that Universal Pictures has absolutely nothing else left in the vault to release on DVD.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 1:52 pm

...or they are releasing it because they want to remake it at some point. How sad would that be? Honestly, its not such a terrible movie from what I saw years ago.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 1:54 pm

Maybe this is just the Year of Long Overdue Projects Finally Happening. I mean, first we got CHINESE DEMOCRACY, and now this.

But seriously, it was released on Region 2 DVD (Europe) about a year ago... who the hell knows, maybe it sold a lot more than they expected it to, and they figured "Wow, we might as well see if there are people in America who still want this thing too"

Somehow I doubt any film studio would take on the suicide mission of remaking this movie though. Its name is still synonymous (sp?) with "Box Office Poison" in many circles.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Sure it is synonymous with box office poison but now Marvel Comics owns Marvel Studios and they would have complete artistic control on how Howard the Duck is portrayed so I would not be surprised to see a development deal announced.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Even if they did a remake, they'd never find another girl to play Beverly that would be anywere NEAR as hot as Lea Thompson was in the original... Laughing

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:08 pm

Maybe they would replace her with Angelina Jolie or Jessica Biel.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Man, I actually saw this in the theaters when it first came out. Wish I didn't!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:47 am

I thought this movie was amusing when i first saw it.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 7:32 am

Schweet I love Howard the Duck
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:07 am

Leatherface wrote:
Man, I actually saw this in the theaters when it first came out. Wish I didn't!

I did too, I was 16 years old at the time and a huge comic book geek so I felt duty bound to see any and all comic book related movies in the theatre back then. I actually liked it, but then I have a warped sense of humor (and I enjoy bad movies as well)!!

Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Watched it on TBS the other day. It was...interesting.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Never thought it was that bad.

More importantly, Tales From The Darkside Season one is out in Febuary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 7:01 pm

Didn't this movie lose a lot of money when it came out? I remember a while back reading an article about movies that lost money (like Showgirls, etc.), and Howard was one of them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 7:56 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Didn't this movie lose a lot of money when it came out? I remember a while back reading an article about movies that lost money (like Showgirls, etc.), and Howard was one of them.

It crashed and burned when it was first released in 86, but if the figures on IMDB are to be believed (and I'm too lazy to go look for them right now to quote them) it has since made its $$ back via home video, cable TV and other avenues. But yea, up until say, "Battlefield Earth" came along and became the new champion, "Howard the Duck" was shorthand for "humongous box office bomb" in movie circles.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:53 pm

Back in Junior High, my cousin Melissa used to watch this movie 2-3 times a week. I liked it (well, I liked Lea Thompson) but not that much. Peace.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 12:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yea, I know, I'm probably the only one here who will even give a sh*t, but I had to share the news anyway:

[url=http://www.dreadcentral.com/story/finally-howard-duck-comes-dvd
http://www.dreadcentral.com/story/finally-howard-duck-comes-dvd[/quote[/url]]

I think I'll buy Howard The Duck and Ishtar on the same day....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 11:00 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

It crashed and burned when it was first released in 86, but if the figures on IMDB are to be believed (and I'm too lazy to go look for them right now to quote them) it has since made its $$ back via home video, cable TV and other avenues. But yea, up until say, "Battlefield Earth" came along and became the new champion, "Howard the Duck" was shorthand for "humongous box office bomb" in movie circles.

Wasn't George Lucas involved in this too? Director or producer or something big? I think that was part of the reason for such high expectations. George was still coming off the high of the original (re: BEST) trilogy and Indiana Jones-mania. I'm sure at that point the studios thought he could do no wrong. Then Howard came out and laid a big, stinking, rotten egg. And ol' George has been struggling ever since.

I saw it not too long ago on cable and not even nostalgia can save this mess of a movie. I thought it was bad then and it certainly did not age gracefully. The only positive thing I will say about it is the casting of Lorraine McFly.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 10:43 pm

George Lucas was the producer on "Howard," the director was some guy named Willard Huyck (a Lucas associate who I believe had co-written at least one of the "Indiana Jones" series along with his wife Gloria)... who has never directed another film since.

Quote :
I saw it not too long ago on cable and not even nostalgia can save this mess of a movie. I thought it was bad then and it certainly did not age gracefully. The only positive thing I will say about it is the casting of Lorraine McFly.

But that's what I love about it. It's an absolutely god-awful, cringe inducing, neon-colored, new-wave soundtracked, candy coated capsule of everything that was wrong about the '80s all in one movie!!!

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 6:12 am

I liked the movie. I also liked Hudson Hawk (remember that Bruce Willis filck?).

The only reson they are releasing it on DVD now is because Blue-Ray has taken over the market, and tey are hoping no-one buys the DVD!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 12:47 pm

manny wrote:
Maybe they would replace her with Angelina Jolie or Jessica Biel.

Both are hot as hell of course, but Angelina's too old and Jessica no longer has the wide-eyed innocence required to play the character that Lea Thompson had back in the day. Maybe if Jessica were still young and fresh off of the "7th Heaven" TV show, but not now.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 pm

If you pre-order the "Howard" DVD on Amazon (official release date is March 10th), you can get it for $9.99. Woot! 🤘

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
If you pre-order the "Howard" DVD on Amazon (official release date is March 10th), you can get it for $9.99. Woot! 🤘

However, you will also be branded with the stigma that you actually pre-ordered Howard the Duck on dvd and lose your credibility at the HoM. I ask you Freddy. Is that really worth the $9.99 price?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 2:17 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

However, you will also be branded with the stigma that you actually pre-ordered Howard the Duck on dvd and lose your credibility at the HoM. I ask you Freddy. Is that really worth the $9.99 price?

I didn't say I pre-ordered it, I merely posted the information. I have a shelf full of DVDs that I haven't watched yet so I'm not buyin' any more till most of them have been viewed.

Besides, I fully expect this release to tank so I'll wait... I'm fairly sure that I'll be able to get HTD on DVD out of the famed Wal-Mart five-dollar bin by the end of the year. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!   Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Howard the Duck coming to DVD March '09!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next