Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question for the musicians of the board.

Go down 
+11
Stender
sam
MetalRob331
thejokeriv
Hamer12
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
A Handful of Wayne
tohostudios
metalinmyveins
manny
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Question for the musicians of the board. Empty
PostSubject: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:34 am

Of all the musicians on the board, who can actually read music?

I have never learned, but I get around by ear. I'm by no means great or even good but I know there are plenty of great musicians that can't read music.

Just curious.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 am

I learned by ear or by tabs in Guitar World, but I couldnot read music, I wish I could and may try to learn in the future.

Had to edit this, apparently I also cannot write using proper sentence structure.

Last edited by manny on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:41 am

manny wrote:
I never by ear or by tabs in Guitar World, but I couldnot read music, I wish I could and may try to learn in the future.

When you and I get our band together that is going to change the face of music in Tampa, we'll teach each other. lol!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:54 am

spectrefate wrote:
Of all the musicians on the board, who can actually read music?

I have never learned, but I get around by ear. I'm by no means great or even good but I know there are plenty of great musicians that can't read music.

Just curious.

I had read in an article that James Hetfield can't, and curiously this other person was mentioned in the article as well, because he can't read music either. His alias is Artie Fufkin of Polymer records.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:58 am

Paul Schaffer can't read music? That's odd.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:58 am

Neither Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix could read music
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Paul Schaffer can't read music? That's odd.

I thought so as well. I read this article over a decade ago, so maybe since then he can, but he couldn't up until that point. I just thought that it was interesting that he and Hetfield were mentioned in the same article.

By the way, I proudly own a "Polymer Records" shirt.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 pm

I can read the treble clef staff.

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:04 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Show off. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:07 pm

Wes Montgomery couldn't read music and he's one of the best guitarists that ever lived.

I can't read music either, I've tried on numerous occasions. I even had to take a music theory class in college and I just "barely" passed and forgot everything right afterwards.

However, I've never had any problem learning by ear and I can read tablature, that's good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:10 pm

FACE - spaces
EGBDF - lines

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Im not a real musician, I play drums.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

Maybe the better question is, can you operate a yo-yo like that of the "Burgermeister"?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:45 pm

sadly I cannot

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:55 pm

manny wrote:
Neither Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix could read music

I don't believe any of the Beatles could either, at least in the early days. It's my understanding that George Martin, their producer, had to write out the music as Lennon or McCartney would hum out the melody. Especially when they stated using orchestration and outside musicians.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 1:25 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

I guess that makes two of us. Smile

I can read music,took piano lessons when I was a wee lad.As for drums,I'm self taught.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 2:07 pm

I can read just enough to get by, 95% of what I play is by ear. My high school music teacher figured this out & helped develop my ear thankfully. To this day I can listen to an entire symphony & pick out each induvidual instruments part & repeat it, when you put it on paper, I'm lost.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:02 pm

From what I understand, most rock musicians can't. Their are exceptions (Dream Theater, but they did attend a Berklee), but I have heard most can't.

As for Paul Schaffer, I don;t but that he can't read music
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:19 pm

Most musicians cant read music, especially guitar players. I have played guitar for 14 years and i have once never really needed to know how to read it therefore, i never wanted to know how. If you play long enough it becomes second nature.

I think the best way to learn is by ear. If you practice long enough you can really pick out the chord voicings and learn a song in a matter of minutes. Besides tabs are so much easier...
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:49 pm

I can read but I don't like too. Tabs and chord names are much easier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 4:12 pm

I can from what I learned thru music theory and band in highschool, but I started by ear when I first started playing.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 4:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:

If you can read treble you can read bass clef too...the notes on the staff are just a half step lower. Razz
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm

I can read music, but not perfectly.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Stender wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

If you can read treble you can read bass clef too...the notes on the staff are just a half step lower. Razz

That's interesting. Never had to look at the bass clef because a trumpet can't make those notes anyway.

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Reading music is more important for classical and jazz players. Rock guitarists (myself included) are too stupid.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for the musicians of the board.   Question for the musicians of the board. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for the musicians of the board.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next