Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Musicians you wish would have done more music

Go down 
+12
scottmitchell74
Gilbert
martinsane
pdf0427
Boris2008
Thrasher73
mc666
nevermore
Troublezone
Shawn Of Fire
glassprison
TheGreatDuck
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Musicians you wish would have done more music  Empty
PostSubject: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Does anyone else here have any musicians whose playing (or singing) you really like, yet they either retired or died too early, or are taking long gaps between releasing new music, thus making the amount of their music pretty low?

Some of mine:

Mark Free - a great AOR singer, sadly debuted a bit late (was already 32 when King Kobra's debut was released), sang on six albums in the '80s and '90s, then stopped releasing new stuff until Unruly Child's reunion in 2010. Did a lot of demos, radio commercials and backing vocals, though.

David Glen Eisley - another great AOR singer, really like his vocals on the two Giuffria albums...Sadly, after that he didn't really do anything until the 1990 debut of the short-lived supergroup Dirty White Boy, but IIRC that band was more in a sleaze direction and I thought DEG's vocals weren't really suited for that style. After that he made some guest appearances on some albums, as well as some solo releases, but that's still not enough for me. BTW just discovered he briefly collaborated with Blue Murder, too bad nothing came out of that (even though I like Sykes' vocals).

Vinnie Vincent - one of my favorite glam metal guitarists, loved his guitar work on the two VVI albums. Too bad he didn't manage to reform the band after the other members left, would be nice had he managed to put out one or two albums more in the early '90s.

Vito Bratta - loved him in White Lion, would have been nice had he continued his music career after that (maybe try doing some heavier stuff? I can imagine him playing prog metal...); alas, some personal issues he had and that hand injury pretty much killed any hope for him to make any new music.

Randy Rhoads - probably the most obvious one, would have been interesting to see how he would have continued his career had he lived longer.

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Quote :
Mark Free - a great AOR singer, sadly debuted a bit late (was already 32 when King Kobra's debut was released), sang on six albums in the '80s and '90s, then stopped releasing new stuff until Unruly Child's reunion in 2010. Did a lot of demos, radio commercials and backing vocals, though.

Yeah, I have tons of demos from Mark/Marcie Free; it would be nice if they had received proper recording. I really like a lot of the new Unruly Child stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Me

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Randy Rhoads and Cliff Burton died way too young... it's amazing what they accomplished with only a few records. Also Criss Oliva. He's not talked about as much, but he influenced many as well. And although Dimebag and Chuck Schuldiner made more than a few records, I will always wonder what they would have come up with if they had lived.

As far as a living person... Vito Bratta was amazing and it's a shame he lost his desire to play.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 pm

Yeah, Criss was indeed a great guitarist.
Also forgot to add Jason Becker. Too bad such a talented player got attacked by that terrible disease. Sad
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Randy Rhoads and Cliff Burton died way too young... it's amazing what they accomplished with only a few records. Also Criss Oliva. He's not talked about as much, but he influenced many as well. And although Dimebag and Chuck Schuldiner made more than a few records, I will always wonder what they would have come up with if they had lived.

I was thinking of all of these guys.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 1:01 am

Should have been a thread about people who are still making music that we wish weren't. Razz

I won't mention any dead people, as it's a shame they are deceased, much less not making music. I'll just say I wish Bobby Gustafson & John Christ were still releasing music.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Me

I agree, you should do more Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 5:34 am

mc666 wrote:
Should have been a thread about people who are still making music that we wish weren't. Razz

I won't mention any dead people, as it's a shame they are deceased, much less not making music. I'll just say I wish Bobby Gustafson & John Christ were still releasing music.

Yes, I agree. Bobby G and John Christ should still be playing. They were great!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 5:36 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Me

I agree, you should do more Smile

Indeed. Get back at it!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 7:01 am

Syd Barrett
Back to top Go down
pdf0427
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 10:17 am

Glad to see Criss Oliva mentioned. He was brilliant. In addition to him, Randy, and Cliff, the biggest one I think of is Dave Prichard from Armored Saint. He's another guy who died way too young. He was growing both as a player and as a writer when he got leukemia.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 am

Musicians you wish would have done more music  Vr10
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Jason Becker, for sure.

Randy Michaud as well. Smile

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2017 5:25 am

Jimmy Paulson ~ Tramp Alley, The Lemons, The Best Kissers In The World, Point Defiance, New American Shame and Top Heavy Crush (to name a few).

Jim is a great guitar player and writes very catchy songs. He's been out of the game for a few years now and has no desire to revisit. Shame as he is so bloody talented, but in the same breath I can see how after soooo many years of sticking it out there and little to no appreciation could get a bit tiresome.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2017 5:36 am

Tony Moore, one of my favourite vocalists. Not sure he is that active.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2017 4:34 am

glassprison wrote:
Musicians you wish would have done more music  Vr10

Yep, good choice GP.
I wish the whole Veangeance/Die Happy group had done more.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 2:26 am

Greg Minier.

I would prefer The Crucified to return again with a new album, but that is highly unlikely because of logistics. He's playing leads on the new Deliverance album, but he's not an official member. It would be cool if he returned to his thrash solo project or something like his Applehead album.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 7:08 am

Michael Grant (Crescent Shield, Onward)

Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Ehhh, we forgot some pretty obvious ones. The USPM vocal greats:
John Cyriis - according to his Metal Archives entry, he was actually in a ton of bands both before and after Agent Steel, but none of them ever went anywhere, or he left them before they did
John Arch - took a 17 year break between his last Fates Warning album and his first solo recordings, then another 8 years between it and the Arch/Matheos collaboration - and then again nothing since that!
J.D. Kimball (and the entire Omen band, really)
Midnight (the same goes for Crimson Glory)

Then there's also Uli Jon Roth who's been taking long breaks between new albums since the second Electric Sun album

Daniel Heiman - might be the best power metal vocalist around and he made like, what, three albums? It's been 12 years since the last time he recorded something.

As for the USPM vocalists, I'm thinking of possible team ups with other idle musicians they could have made... Only I can't think of that many guitarists, bassists and drummers whom I like and who were on a hiatus at the same time as the aforementioned guys. I know Joey Tafolla of Jag Panzer only released some solo albums after leaving the band, so maybe one of them could have teamed up with him? Would have been interesting to see what could have come out of that...
Back to top Go down
pdf0427
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 am

Eric Carr
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 am

What did happen to Kimball?
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
What did happen to Kimball?
Died from cancer in 2003.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 10:20 pm

I might've heard that but i'm getting old. Sucks.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 9:26 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
David Glen Eisley - another great AOR singer, really like his vocals on the two Giuffria albums...Sadly, after that he didn't really do anything until the 1990 debut of the short-lived supergroup Dirty White Boy, but IIRC that band was more in a sleaze direction and I thought DEG's vocals weren't really suited for that style. After that he made some guest appearances on some albums, as well as some solo releases, but that's still not enough for me. BTW just discovered he briefly collaborated with Blue Murder, too bad nothing came out of that (even though I like Sykes' vocals).

This is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Musicians you wish would have done more music    Musicians you wish would have done more music  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Musicians you wish would have done more music
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next