Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Empty
PostSubject: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:26 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/08/AR2008120803188.html

In a nutshell, the Internet Watch foundation, based in the United Kingdom, banned the page on Wikipedia pertaining to the 1976 Scorpions Virgin Killer album because of a complaint. Since most UK internet providers use this service, the page is almost universally banned.

Is this right or wrong? Discuss...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:44 am

It's BS IMO. Internet censorship.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:50 am

They changed their mind and have deceided since the image has been commerically available since the 1970's the ban has been lifted from Wikipedia, at least according to the boys in Blabbermouth.

That being said I hate that album cover. (Love the music)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:52 am

The online watchdog, the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), has withdrawn its objection to a Wikipedia page containing an image of The Scorpions’ Virgin Killer album sleeve.

A number of internet providers blocked the page after IWF said the sleeve – which features an image of a naked girl – could be ‘potential illegal child sexual abuse’.
The IWF now says that, given the age and availability of the image, it was no longer on its list of proscribed sites.
Volunteers who run Wikipedia said the image was available in a number of books and had never been ruled illegal.
In a statement on its website, the IWF said that the image could still potentially breach the Protection Of Children Act 1978, but ‘in light of the length of time the image has existed and its wide availability, the decision has been taken to remove this webpage from our list’.
Read more on the BBC News website here.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:55 am

I have VIRGIN KILLER but without the "dirty" cover... in fact, I don't think I've ever actually seen a copy with that cover, just pictures of it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:59 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have VIRGIN KILLER but without the "dirty" cover... in fact, I don't think I've ever actually seen a copy with that cover, just pictures of it.

You got that one from me. Remember when I offered to paste my own dirty picture on the cover and you didn't talk to me for a week? Geez...some people. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:14 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

You got that one from me. Remember when I offered to paste my own dirty picture on the cover and you didn't talk to me for a week? Geez...some people. Smile

Haha, that's right, I did get that disc from you. Shoot, I've done so much trading since I joined here I can never remember who sent me what CD...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:28 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:50 pm

manny wrote:
The online watchdog, the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), has withdrawn its objection to a Wikipedia page containing an image of The Scorpions’ Virgin Killer album sleeve.

A number of internet providers blocked the page after IWF said the sleeve – which features an image of a naked girl – could be ‘potential illegal child sexual abuse’.
The IWF now says that, given the age and availability of the image, it was no longer on its list of proscribed sites.
Volunteers who run Wikipedia said the image was available in a number of books and had never been ruled illegal.
In a statement on its website, the IWF said that the image could still potentially breach the Protection Of Children Act 1978, but ‘in light of the length of time the image has existed and its wide availability, the decision has been taken to remove this webpage from our list’.
Read more on the BBC News website here.

Sounds to me like the IWF made a snap decision based on one complaint, then had to reconsidder when the press got a hold of it and caused a big stink. Oh well, I guess they got their 15 minutes of fame.

PostSubject: Re: Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"   Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Watchdog group bans Wiki Page of "Virgin Killer"
Page 1 of 1