Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...

Go down 
+4
exact33
Eyesore
Stender
Required Fields
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Empty
PostSubject: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Someone on another board I post at hosts a late night metal radio show.

They have been targeted by a member of the CRTC (Canadian equivalent of the FCC, in case you didn't know). There are also listener advisory warnings pertaining to the show's content, and the show host also provides contact info for people to complain directly about the show. This complainant chose not to do so, but instead whined directly to the CRTC. The show is also on a college station, and it airs at 3 AM, which the CRTC and other governing bodies consider radio to be "off air".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 pm

yeah? So what was the complaint about?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Better late than never. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm

The show has been targeted because of its content, despite the disclaimers at the start of the show.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 pm

ah okay I see.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:12 am

Does the show violate content laws?

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Apparently, she has been forced to make changes to her show. Here's a letter she sent out to her audience.

Quote :
Thank you so much for your support of Satan Takes A Holiday during this period of tribulation following that complaint that someone made to the CRTC. Your letters of support are of immeasurable value to me, and helped to validate the worth of this radio show.

Unfortunately, all is not entirely copacetic in metal radio land, but I am adamant about continuing the cultural and musical trajectory of Satan Takes A Holiday in spite of the changes that have been imposed upon this show. Ideally, we will be stronger and more relevant once these changes take place.

As of June 2010, the final hour of Satan Takes A Holiday, that is, 6-7am ET, will be entirely spoken word.

The hour will begin with events listings relevant to the metal community, followed by a combination of interviews and spoken word recordings. I have fielded requests for band interviews for years which I have largely not been able to accommodate until now, due to the emphasis on music as the primary element of Satan Takes A Holiday. With this new format, I am excited that I will have the opportunity to speak with musicians and other producers of creative culture to elucidate components of their work that might not be immediately discernable. We can hear about the music from the musicians’ own mouths.

In other words, we will talk amongst ourselves for an hour. Please don’t be shy to contact me if you have a show coming up, or a new release, or a film coming out, or any other thing you want to promote. Let’s chitchat. On air. The CRTC wants it!

This is a strange new chapter in Satan Takes A Holiday’s 15 year history, and I really want to make it a good one.

Again, thank you so much for everything. Let’s transform this into something that is a good thing for all of us!

Cheers and horns up,
Barbra
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Any examples of content that was deemed inappropriate?

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

My guess, somebody's right-wing panties got twisted into a wad when they all of a sudden ran across Slayer on their radio at 5am. Decided they needed to protect the rest of humanity from such blasphemy.

etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Probably, but it's hard to whip-up some support, outrage or down right indifference to the whole matter without knowing what caused all the hub-bub.

If the host was spouting off the "7 Dirty Words" for no apparent reason, other than to create some controversy, then I say good riddance. You knew the rules. Play by them or GTFO.

If someone didn't like Slayer being played, for example, well to that I say, "Change the station and your tampon, Alice".

I need to know more of the situation before I can deliver my ass-hatted opinon.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Probably, but it's hard to whip-up some support, outrage or down right indifference to the whole matter without knowing what caused all the hub-bub.

I agree. And let us not forget Tipper Gore and her pals were not right wing nuts when all the censorship cries were flying here in the US.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm

exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I agree. And let us not forget Tipper Gore and her pals were not right wing nuts when all the censorship cries were flying here in the US.

True! They were leftist,liberal,environmentalist nut jobs.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:43 pm

The same people that acted like Tipper was going to censor all speech in the 80s turned around and voted for her husband.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The same people that acted like Tipper was going to censor all speech in the 80s turned around and voted for her husband.

That's because he was running against one of the world's biggest idiots. They had no other choice.

I agree though, the Dems should have let someone else run against Bush.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:31 pm

But enough with the politics already.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...   Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next, on When Watchdog Groups Attack...
Page 1 of 1