Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

There must be something wrong with me

Go down 
+8
kmorg
Olafsto
manny
mc666
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
exact33
scottmitchell74
12 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

There must be something wrong with me Empty
PostSubject: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:37 pm

So at work and more or less killing time I'm surfing varying review sites......and it slowly dawns on me that most of the bands and albums I love just get trashed on review sites. NOT that I care, because I like what I like with no apologies, but I just find it interesting. I figure I have some sort of faulty ear for music.

I do recognize I have an unquenchable love for the cheesier stuff, and I've noticed most reviewers are young(er) folk trying to prove how tr00 and br00t@l lol! they are, so I wonder if that's got anything to do with it?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:51 pm

no one else has good taste other than you and I scott Smile

We are the last sane people in a mad mad world...

Alex

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:51 pm

Yea thats definetly what it is. A lot of people dont understand the stuff I listen to but who cares music is all about entertainment. Think about this.... how boring would it be if every single person on earth listened to the same thing? It would be like this... ME: So hey Steve did you hear the new Celine Dion album? Steve: Yea I did, did you hear the new Bette Midler song? ME: Yea I did. See how boring that is? Theres no suggestions like hey if you like Celine Dion then you just might like the new Guns N Roses album if you havent heard of them check them out.

Its cool people give their impressions of certain albums but it depends on the reviewer and the age. Of course the younger ones arent going to like a lot of the older bands because the sound is up to todays standards but thats how we older people are used to hearing music that we can accept it. There are some cool younger kids that can get over that and we have a few on here or so it seems but for the majority of them I think it has to do with way things are produced rather than just the musicianship or great song writing.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:52 pm

exact33 wrote:

Alex

"Its a MADHOUSE, Or so they claim, Its a MADHOUSE Oh, am I insane?"

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:53 pm

Quote :
No kidding! You and Ghost have the closest taste to mine than anyone I know of! We rule!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:58 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
No kidding! You and Ghost have the closest taste to mine than anyone I know of! We rule!!

you need to come over to my house so we can make fun of all those snotty nosed young-ins like the french in Holy Grail!!!

Alex

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:00 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Alex

"Its a MADHOUSE, Or so they claim, Its a MADHOUSE Oh, am I insane?"

I feel an Alice Cooper moment coming on from: Inmates (We're All Crazy)

It's not like we did something wrong
We just burned down the church
While the choir within sang religious songs
And it's not like we thought we was right
We just played with the wheels of a passenger train
That cracked on the tracks one night

It's not like we ain't on the ball
We just talk to our shrinks
Huh they talk to their shrinks
No wonder we're up the wall
We're not stupid or dumb
We're the lunatic fringe who rusted the hinge
On Uncle Sam's daughters and sons

Good old boys and girls
Congregating waiting in another world
With roller coaster brains
Imagine playing with trains

Good old boys and girls
Congregating waiting in some other world
We're all crazy we're all crazy we're all crazy
Lizzy Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks

And don't think we're trying to be bad
All the innocent crime seemed alright at the time
Not necessarily mad not necessarily mad
We watch every day for the bus
And the driver would say
"That's where lunatics stay"
I wonder if he's talking about us

It's not like we're vicious or gone
We just dug up the graves where your relatives lay
In old forest lawn
And it's not like we don't know the score
We're the fragile elite they dragged off the street
I guess they just couldn't take us no more

Good old boys and girls
Congregating waiting in another world
With roller coaster brains
Imagine digging up graves

Good old boys and girls
Congregating waiting in some other world
We're all crazy we're all crazy we're all crazy we're all crazy
We're all crazy we're all crazy we're all crazy we're all crazy
We're all crazy

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:25 pm

There should be a law restricting reviewers from reviewing any album that came out more than five years ago.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:44 pm

True....or from a genre that they know going-in they hate.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:05 am

I conccur with what is being said. Me and PRD have very similar tatses in power metal but if you read his review of my comps, you see that he didn't like a lot of it. Many albums and bands that I love have been mercilessly torn up by critics, but I feel that it's their loss.

Quote :
....or from a genre that they know going-in they hate.

Exactly!!!! I can't recall the number of power metal reviews from critics who readily admit they don't like power metal.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:44 pm

i knew something was wrong with scottmitchell. i just didn't realize it had anything to do with his taste in music. i thought it was the eye lactation thing.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 1:39 pm

I noticed that an older magazines any metal/hard rock band that had a following of more than five fans would get trashed unmercyfully, while bands that had no following would get praised like it was second coming of Bach, nothings changed, hipsters still prefer the obsure and claim anything else is unauthentic.

20 years from now they will praise what they once damned. Look at AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin and countless others that are critically acclaimed but that was not always the case.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:20 pm

True Manny!

MC666 - lol!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Cheesy Power Metal gets a lot of shitty reviews, but i think Metalreviews.com and Lords of Metal are sites that shows the genre respect.
http://www.metalreviews.com

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/index.php?lang=en
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Has there ever been a more appropriatly entitled thread here before?

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:06 pm

kmorg wrote:
Has there ever been a more appropriatly entitled thread here before?

its a good thing the only thing I have in common with mr. mitchell is the taste in music!!

Alex

scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:14 pm

Y'all know Twisted Evil I'm awesome.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 7:06 pm

manny wrote:

20 years from now they will praise what they once damned. Look at AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin and countless others that are critically acclaimed but that was not always the case.

That's totally true. And I've got the old press clippings and reviews to prove it. One problem is that many of these critics write for a living, so they gotta write something even if the don't really have anything to say.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:34 pm

Writing reviews is sort of like being a defense attorney in that in order to get paid you have to sometimes espouse a position or view that you don't necessarily believe. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:39 pm

I think you can write a postive review and make it interesting, years ago Guitar World wrote a postive article of Jimi Hendrix's 1970 concerts, for years biographiers and critics claimed that Hendrix's performance were all terrible and writer made his case that this was not true.

My point in using that example is that you don't have to write something negative to make it interesting or turn it into a good copy, if you are good writer you can convey your love of an album.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 7:05 pm

To me a good music writer will give enough information on a band that the consumer can realize that they might like the product even though the reviewer doesn't like it personally. I've bought a whole bunch of things on the basis of intelligent but negative reviews. However too many reviewers think it's clever to be arrogant elitist snots. I have no time for that, especially since prog and melodic epics have been a favorite target of the hipster press since the days of Keith Emerson at least. I just see it as a media bias like any other.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 11:29 pm

I love cheese! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 5:46 pm

sam wrote:
I love cheese! 🤘

manowar kills!!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 5:49 pm

exact33 wrote:
sam wrote:
I love cheese! 🤘

manowar kills!!

Yeah, Manowar kills brain cells.

My flavor of cheese is the Lordi variety. At least they don't wear furry kilts and are about horror instead of hailing and killing.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 8:04 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
sam wrote:
I love cheese! 🤘

manowar kills!!

Yeah, Manowar kills brain cells.

My flavor of cheese is the Lordi variety. At least they don't wear furry kilts and are about horror instead of hailing and killing.

LORDI 🤘

you can't compete with them, great band
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There must be something wrong with me   There must be something wrong with me Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

There must be something wrong with me
Page 1 of 1