Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The official Wino appreciation thread

Go down 
+10
Dr8breed74
bgsully
chucksteak
Leatherface
MetalGuy71
nevermore
mc666
ultmetal
kmorg
candlemass
14 posters
AuthorMessage

The official Wino appreciation thread Empty
PostSubject: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 12:49 pm

The official Wino appreciation thread Rockin

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm just a recent convert to the amazing universe that Wino creates...but I'm not wasting any time, my obsession is in full-swing.

If you only pay attention to the surface trappings, you're missing one of the most interesting singer/songwriter/guitarists on the scene today. Wino is almost a "heavy metal soul singer", all the emotions are right there on the surface but there are layers and layers of depth underneath. Musically he's able to play down-tuned Sabbath-inspired riffs but it always sounds like his own creation and he's a master at saying alot in a just a few minutes. The jams are there, but the songs are the most important aspect.

My favorite group thus far is "Spirit Caravan", but I like all of it.

Any other Wino fans/worshipers here?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 12:51 pm

I appreciates! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Stop being such a Wino! angry

I always wanted to do that! lol!

Carry on

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Cosmic Artifact - live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev8NILsPyMM&feature=related
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Like the stuff he did with Place of Skulls

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 3:00 pm

i've liked just about everything he's been involved with. St. Vitus being a major favorite.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 5:39 pm

Wino is incredible! From Saint Vitus to The Obsessed to Spirit Caravan to Place Of Skulls to The Hidden Hand it's all great.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 11:01 am

I've only become aware of this guy in the last few years but ever since then, I've been on a mad tear to gather up all of his releases. I love The Obsessed and Hidden Hand stuff especially.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 11:11 pm

I have some stuff he did with Saint Vitus and always liked his voice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Talk about Heavy Metal.... 🤘 🤘 🤘

The official Wino appreciation thread Wino-bike2
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Wino rules!!! That is all!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 9:48 am

Saint Vitus frontman Scott 'Wino' Weinrich has apologized to fans after being arrested and deported from Norway for possession of drugs (reportedly methamphetamine). He's taken "full responsibility" for his actions, which forced the doom metal outfit to continue their 35th anniversary European tour without him. And he reports he's "actively engaged in treatment" for his addiction.

Wino says in a statement: "The other members and crew were unaware of my substance use. I was truthful with the authorities, and initially sentenced to 16 days in jail, minus the three days immediately following my arrest.

"Initially I believed I would be fined, allowed to continue the tour, and upon its end, I agreed to return to Norway to finish my sentence. I was disheartened to realize that I was to be deported back to the US, and not allowed to finish the tour.

"... As of now I am off the road and actively engaged in treatment. And the struggle continues."

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 10:42 am

I too am just "discovering" his stuff. So far, I LOVE St Vitus.
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

Number of posts : 291

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Vitus is the tip of the Wino-iceberg. It going to be a long trip getting around his output.
Back to top Go down
https://krullrecords.bigcartel.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Meth or no meth, Wino kicks ass!
Back to top Go down
AutumnShantel
Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Spirit Caravan is my favorite of his bands, but they're all great. Instantly fell in love with his voice, the thing I'm most picky about when it comes to music.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 5:19 pm

For the past few weeks, I've been listening (on and off) to dreamwheel, and the last embrace from Spirit Caravan. This is REALLY good stuff!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 10:14 am

Wino and Conny Ochs have released a 2nd album...

The official Wino appreciation thread Wino-conny-ochs-cover1-315x315
WINO AND CONNY OCHS
"Freedom Conspiracy"
(Exile on Mainstream)

01. Drain
02. Sound of Blue
03. Foundation Chaos
04. Crystal Madonna
05. Shards
06. Time Out Blackout
07. Timeless Spirit
08. Freedom Conspiracy
09. Dirt Floor
10. Heavy Heart
11. Forever Gone
12. Invisible Bullets
13. The Great Destroyer

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/freedom-conspiracy/#YTSMuBuwVQl4ZGgQ.99

I was unaware of this 2nd album from these 2. I need to track down this one and their first one at some point. I really enjoy Wino's acoustic album (Adrift) he did a few years ago.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 10:55 am

Since there isn't a whole lot of news yet, I figured I'll just bump this old thread for now...

Reactivated THE OBSESSED To Release New Album This Fall

THE OBSESSED, one of the early BLACK SABBATH-influenced doom metal bands on the American continent, has reformed and is working on a new studio album for a tentative fall release via Relapse.

Guitarist/vocalist Scott "Wino" Weinrich, who has also played with SAINT VITUS, SPIRIT CARAVAN, THE HIDDEN HAND and SHRINEBUILDER, is joined in THE OBSESSED's current lineup by longtime partner Dave Sherman (SPIRIT CARAVAN, EARTHRIDE) and drummer Brian Constantino (a former THE OBSESSED drum tech).

Weinrich announced THE OBSESSED's return in March on social media, explaining in a statement: "All over the world I've listened to friends tell me, 'We want you to bring back THE OBSESSED,' so I have decided to resurrect THE OBSESSED." He added that he was "waiting for the right combination of ability, attitude and personality to accomplish this goal."

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Cool, always dug the Obsessed stuff.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 6:37 pm

I an a huge Wino fan and this is awesome news! I was ready for something electric from him as it's been a while.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Been on a Wino kick again lately and found a new album (to me anyway, it came out in 2012) he's on. It's a tribute album to singer/songwriter Townes Van Zandt.

Songs of Townes Van Zandt
The official Wino appreciation thread 71Dc2YoDsiL._SL1208_

Wino's only featured on 3 of the songs, and it's just him and an acoustic guitar but the whole thing sounds pretty darn cool to me.

It might not be for everyone, but I just thought I'd pass along the info.

PostSubject: Re: The official Wino appreciation thread   The official Wino appreciation thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The official Wino appreciation thread
Page 1 of 1