Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Dirty Rooks *

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 pm

* not an Asian band.

Just checked these dudes out because they're doing a show with The Steepwater Band soon. They sound killer! They've got that 70s thing going on.

http://www.dirtyrooks.com

I paid the $7 for their album, but if you're like UltraMagnus you can download the entire thing for free. Definitely worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:37 pm

That is awesome.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Not bad, i'm hearing a bit of rock n' soul ala Faces and Humble Pie.....but it's a little too blues plodding for my tastes, needs a bit of swing to get it up and movin'.....needs a guy like Kenney Jones behind the kit.

Dirty Sweet are still the best at this stuff at the moment....

http://www.myspace.com/dirtysweetmusic
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:48 am

That's awesome too. Sigh. You know some day I'll be either broke or deaf (or both), and then you guys will have to find someone else to torment.
Back to top Go down

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 4:09 am

rattpoison wrote:
Dirty Sweet are still the best at this stuff at the moment....

http://www.myspace.com/dirtysweetmusic
I could never remember the name of this band when I hit the shops. You know how many bands start with the word dirty? Haha.

So I just ordered their EP and full-length. They sound really good.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Good stuff I love the 70's retro sound of today good to see these bands are keeping that sound alive. Others just as good are Pig Iron, Mad Shadow, The Answer, Binges......

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
The Binges......

Warning! more hip pocket damage......The Binges are a great band, everyone should check them out.....

http://www.myspace.com/thebinges

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 7:07 pm

For God's sake you guys. Just stop it. Leave me in peace.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 7:16 pm

Honestly, this retro stuff just bores me.

I blame Wolfmother and Jet for starting it. If I wanted to hear music from the decrepit 70s (which I lived through and survived unlike many proponents of this style), I'd dig out my old Who, Grand Funk and Guess Who albums.

This trend needs to die a slow, horrible death IMO.

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I blame Wolfmother and Jet for starting it. If I wanted to hear music from the decrepit 70s (which I lived through and survived unlike many proponents of this style), I'd dig out my old Who, Grand Funk and Guess Who albums.

It's not a trend. You think 30 years went by before someone started playing this stuff again? Wolfmother and Jet surely brought it back to the mainstream, but that died a quick death. These bands have always been around and always will be.

At this point in my life, I'd rather listen to rock music than metal.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Well I gotta admit that it is more popular now in the 21st century than it had been for awhile, but yes, it never went away. But there are more bands that are doing the overt homage (image, etc.) than there used to be even in the days of Monster Magnet and Trouble, etc. I admit it does get a bit cheesy, which of course doesn't bother me at all. I think that the image will come and go (just like bellbottoms do); but 70's musical influences will persist.
Probably the difference between myself and people who feel like Toho is that he's a lot more ecclectic, so he probably hasn't battered the real 70's music into the ground as badly as I have. Some of the old stuff has been on my playlist constantly for 35 years now, and sometimes I hardly listen to anything else, so a (relatively) fresh take on it is welcome, cheesy or not. I think it's great that the music I loved back then is still influential.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:00 am

tohostudios wrote:

I don't think there is a trend as much as say the late 80's/early 90's......who's not to say Badlands, Black Crowes, Masters Of Reality, Quireboys, Burning Tree, Trouble etc etc etc were not 70's hard rock/metal revivalists or 'retro rock' much like today's bands, was this not a trend!

The thing is nowadays every past style of music has it's own little niche and place, and while i praise and enjoy alot of bands that are mixed up weirdo's that defy any categorization i also love some of those bands that show reverence to some past great music......it's not my fault i was bought up on 70's "classic rot".

Although i'm picky when it comes to this music (some could call me a snob).....but you really have to be with all music's, no use drowning yourself in a sea of so-so and middling mediocrity even though they play a style of music you like. So i'll rightly praise who i think are the sh*t hot purveyours of this music like The Answer and Dirty Sweet.

Also Toho you act as like bands such as Jet and Wolfmother are completely timelocked and stewed in nothing but retro 70's influences....but even though i don't like them i can acknowledge that they have tempered those 'retro' influences with more current musics......Jet while being very Beatles/Faces/Stones/AC/DC influenced temper their music with an Oasis and You Am I influence (You may argue both bands are retro reverent themselves but they transcended their influences).....same with Wolfmother who have a distinct White Stripes streak running through their Sabbath/Zeppelin music. Other so called 'retro' bands like Year Long Disaster and Mad Shadow have that Alice In Chains/Soundgarden Seattle influence running through their music while a band we just talked about like the Binges gives that 70's dinosaur rock a punk attitude and urgency.

All these bands whether you like them or not are building influences over the years and decades of music, you rarely come across a band that is purely undiluted and straight up reverent of one music time period. Building on tradition as they say.
Back to top Go down

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:20 am

I don't think more bands are doing it. We simply have access to countless bands these days, so it appears that way. Even in the mid-90s, most bands had no online presence. Now, with the likes of MySpace, most bands do. Most bands have only a MySpace page these days (which pisses me off to no end, by the way).
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:27 am

That may be true. I don't follow charts or sales, but I expect Monster Magnet and The Black Crowes sold as much as The Darkness, Jet or Wolfmother. I really don't know.

Here's what I find ironic. I knew some people in the 70's who hated many of the original 70's bands, and they said the same things that are being said now about the homage bands. A banal fad in which the talentless rip off old classics (in that case the blues). But now the oldies have earned some respect, and now they are thought of as being creative (which they usually in fact were), and the newer bands are doing the "ripping off". I think the idea that there is some sort of "pure" music out there is just illusionary anyway. Plus nobody has to listen retro any more than I have to listen to Mike Patton's treatment of 60's movie music or whatever cutting edge thing he's doing now.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
That may be true. I don't follow charts or sales, but I expect Monster Magnet and The Black Crowes sold as much as The Darkness, Jet or Wolfmother. I really don't know.

The Black Crowes easily have out sold all those bands combined, they were one of the first tests for the arguments we are having for/against so called 70's retro rock, while being praised they also got alot of derision for being 70's Stones/Faces derivative and too 'retro'....but alot of those boss bands from the whole late 80's/early 90's American Records/Rick Rubin stable that rejected current hard rock/metal trends and went in a more retro 70's direction still sound as good as ever and just as good as the 70's stuff after all these years. Just check out some of the amazing records and bands that came from that whole American/Rubin stable.....Black Crowes (Southern Harmony...), Masters Of Reality (Blue Garden), Four Horsemen (Nobody Said It Was Easy), Raging Slab (Dynamite Monster Boogie), Thee Hypnotics (The Very Crystal Speed Machine), Trouble (Manic Frustration), Danzig (II) and The Cult (Electric).

Now sh*t those are some of the finest 70's records ever and they weren't even made in the 70's!

And just like you said Sahb about the 70's stuff alot of those records/bands i mentioned received criticism for being too 'retro' and rip-off's.....but the years have been good to those records unlike some of their more trend chasing contemporaries. They themselves i'm sure are influencing alot of the bands were talking about.....give the Answer, Dirty Sweet, Parlor Mob, Earl Greyhound etc time and those records will still sound good decades from now just like the so called rip-off's before them.
Back to top Go down

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 1:22 pm

I wish Cry of Love had been bigger. That band was so damn good. Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxT_IvGT4qo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bafSkdBK74s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY09Am8Qank

Brilliant stuff.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I wish Cry of Love had been bigger. That band was so damn good. Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxT_IvGT4qo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bafSkdBK74s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY09Am8Qank

Brilliant stuff.

See, now that band I like. At least the Brother album; the one after that...not so much.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:58 pm

I still have pretty much the whole Def American catolouge from the early 90's. That stuff has aged pretty well. There are others from that era too, on other labels Bogeymen (related to Masters of Reality), Black Cat Bones/Supafuzz (not related to the 60's band or Mudhoney), Brother Cain, Motherland. I guess this stuff has been pretty much a constant, but I tend to think of it in waves for some reason.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:46 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
I still have pretty much the whole Def American catolouge from the early 90's. That stuff has aged pretty well. There are others from that era too, on other labels Bogeymen (related to Masters of Reality), Black Cat Bones/Supafuzz (not related to the 60's band or Mudhoney), Brother Cain, Motherland. I guess this stuff has been pretty much a constant, but I tend to think of it in waves for some reason.

It's quite remarkable that run Def American had.......one band that was hugely underrated from that lot is the UK band Thee Hypnotics, while i like their earlier stuff better their Chris Robinson (Black Crowes) produced American records album The Very Crystal Speed Machine (1994) is brilliant. Like the Stooges on a Pink Fairies and Blue Cheer trip, maybe a precursor to alot of the stoner stuff and not to far off Grunge but too flashy and rock starry for that time......they strutted around like Brian Jones era Stones or an actual pretty Pretty Things (Phil May and Dick Taylor worked with them on their debut Come Down Heavy)!

Tastefully done retro and the epitome of rock n' roll cool.....

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Wow seems you like nothing anymore maybe give it all away! lol!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 9:30 am

Wargod48 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Wow seems you like nothing anymore maybe give it all away! lol!

I've really been listening to glam/sleaze and punk almost exclusively lately. It goes in cycles.

Wargod48

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Wow that Dirty Sweet is really good, got it yesterday. Hey eyesore check out Year Long Disaster!

http://www.myspace.com/yearlongdisaster

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Dirty Rooks * Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dirty Rooks *   The Dirty Rooks * Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dirty Rooks *
Page 1 of 1