Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What makes music progressive? The keys?

Go down 
+11
thejokeriv
sam
AngelRipper16
MetalRob331
tohostudios
Thrasher73
Smindas
XYZ
Olafsto
Temple of Blood
Wargod
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

What makes music progressive? The keys? Empty
PostSubject: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 1:53 pm

Was pondering this. What makes music progressive in nature? Are they the keyboards or is it something else? For me it's the keyboards! And can bands be progressive in style without keyboards?

Wargod49
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 2:12 pm

How I understand it is progressive music normally has complex arrangements, time changes, etc. Thus making the music "progress" from the usual 4/4 beat and verse, chorus, verse formula. The keyboards aren't necessarily a needed component, but is usually a part of most progressive bands.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 3:40 pm

It has nothing to do with keys.

It's in the progressions/arrangement.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 4:03 pm

spectrefate wrote:
How I understand it is progressive music normally has complex arrangements, time changes, etc. Thus making the music "progress" from the usual 4/4 beat and verse, chorus, verse formula. The keyboards aren't necessarily a needed component, but is usually a part of most progressive bands.

That`s how I understand it too.
My hometown heroes Communic are labeled progressive, but use very little keyboard..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 4:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Agreed.

i.e. And Justice For All and Rust in Peace off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 4:38 pm

I wouldn't personally say Rust In Peace is progressive, though it certainly has a few progressive tendencies.

But yes, I would strongly disagree with the keys being the defining element of prog. It's all in the progressions and arrangements, as stated before.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 5:14 pm

See this is what I want to know in my understanding I always thought the keys were the major elements for progressive music!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 5:22 pm

I agree with Specs idea of progressive.I never looked at it as being the keys as much as its the arrangements and song structure.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 5:23 pm

xyz wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Agreed.

i.e. And Justice For All and Rust in Peace off the top of my head.

I agree. It has nothing to do with keys. It's the weird time sig changes, arrangements, chord progressions, etc.

I also think that for whatever reason, a lot of bands that engage in this style of songwriting and execution seem to feature prominent keyboards.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Keys aren't needed to be progressive. Progressive to me is the styles incorporated into the music. There are different elements that just make it one style. It's more music oriented and uses lots of variations of styles.
Back to top Go down
AngelRipper16
Metal novice
Metal novice
AngelRipper16

Number of posts : 99

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 6:08 pm

Olafsto wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

My hometown heroes Communic are labeled progressive, but use very little keyboard..

Also think there's something with melodies and hooks being somewhat "hidden" in the music, rather than ultimately catchy.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 7:47 pm

what spec said, I always counted it as music outside the normal boundary of 4/4 time sig music, different keys etc. usually a band that uses a lot of musical theory in their writing but, not always.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 7:53 pm

A lot of Prog Metal / Prog Rock really is in 4/4 time signatures, they just syncopate it...meaning instead of kick & snare on 1 & 2, it'll be on 1 & 3 or something...

But yeah, keys don't make something Prog...complex arrangements, blending of styles & elements, use of different time signatures/tempos within a song...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 7:56 pm

AngelRipper16 wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Also think there's something with melodies and hooks being somewhat "hidden" in the music, rather than ultimately catchy.

there are tons of prog bands that have killer hooks and superior catchiness to more modern bands and more mainstream bands. But being prog and more music oriented the mainstream seems to overlook the great style of music..
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 am

As mentioned, ....AJFA is a prog metal album with no keys. Even Maiden's last album, AMOFAD was proggy in nature. Master Of Puppets was leaning towards progressive. It just so happens that most prog bands have a keyboard player.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 am

spectrefate wrote:

This is right on the money IMO, I could not have given a better explaination.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 am

manny wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

This is right on the money IMO, I could not have given a better explaination.

seconded
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 12:54 pm

Maybe keys are featured so prominently because of all the capability that they have? You can add many layers and textures with keys, and I'd say that it can add a new spectrum to the music.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Was pondering this. What makes music progressive in nature? Are they the keyboards or is it something else? For me it's the keyboards! And can bands be progressive in style without keyboards?

Wargod49
Listen to Zero Hour.

No keyboards. Clearly progressive.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 5:04 pm

spectrefate wrote:

Good definition. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes music progressive? The keys?   What makes music progressive? The keys? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What makes music progressive? The keys?
Page 1 of 1