Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?

Go down 
+8
Wrecked Neck
Dark Horseman
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
TheGooch
kethdredd
ultmetal
Rex
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Empty
PostSubject: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Scott, Shawn,....?

What do you guys pocket after everyone else gets their cut?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Well, our CDs are on iTunes through Retroactive, so I am not sure. Retro did send us a check after the first six months for iTunes sales, but I can't remember how the figures broke down.

sorry

ult

Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 9:58 am

I think the songwriters get 9 cents per track. There was just a lot of news about this recently.

Here is a good link that explains it all.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Apple-iTunes-Royalties-music,news-29299.html
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 4:52 pm

not enough im sure
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 6:28 pm

I hear they get paid in pebbles and twigs... Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 7:35 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 8:12 pm

I'll have to get back to you after I actually pocket anything... lol!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 5:50 pm

iTunes appears to be going down...

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Interesting. I don't use them but I think people have stopped paying for music for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 pm

True. Not just in physical formats, but even paid downloads, which is kind of sad and hurtful for the performers in the industry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 12:14 am

Well that sucks for musicians. I never by digital music, so it doesn't really bother me. Only thing is, I hope I can still use it to put music on my iPod.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 5:09 am

I switched to MusicBee, a better player, a while back. Never really bought digital stuff anyway since I still buy the physical product.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 1:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I switched to MusicBee, a better player, a while back. Never really bought digital stuff anyway since I still buy the physical product.
Are you able to put the music on an iPod with that? I use my iPod to listen to music at night when I'm going to sleep. It's much easier than doing it the old fashioned way of digging out a few cds for the night.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 6:53 pm

Quote :
Only thing is, I hope I can still use it to put music on my iPod.

Same here. I'm a big fan of the iPod classic. I have the 160gb version and love that I can have so much music at my fingertips, and also that the device hardly does anything except play music.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 7:40 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :
Only thing is, I hope I can still use it to put music on my iPod.

Same here. I'm a big fan of the iPod classic. I have the 160gb version and love that I can have so much music at my fingertips, and also that the device hardly does anything except play music.
Wish mine still worked, I loved it. The middle wheel went out on mine about two years ago, and I was forced to buy the smaller 120gig iPod for a hundred dollars more than the one I wanted. Really going to piss me off if it's rendered useless now.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Quote :
Really going to piss me off if it's rendered useless now.

There are some other programs that you can use instead of itunes if it comes down to it. I've used one before; I'll have to look up the name. I remember it had a feature that allowed you to make playlists from music on the ipod but not currently in your itunes library.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 pm

I've never iTuned, and I guess I won't be starting now. (shrugs)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 12:19 am

At one point, the artists on major labels only made $.94 from a $10 album on iTunes. Bands that aren't on a label can make a much larger share - $6-$7 on a $10 album. This information is from 2011 so I don't know if these amounts have changed recently.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 1:44 pm

While not all the time I still buy albums from iTunes unless it's something I have to have the physical copy of. Or sometimes, I can't find the physical copy in stores so I'll order from iTunes.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Sounds like they want to focus on streaming, the under 30 crowd doesn't even buy the songs now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?   How much does a band make off of iTunes sales? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much does a band make off of iTunes sales?
Page 1 of 1