Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Allman Brothers

Go down 
+4
MetalRob331
James B.
Wargod
XYZ
8 posters
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

The Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Any fans here? One of the finest southern blues-rock bands, imo. Duane Allman was a genius with the guitar. RIP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 11:28 pm

They ARE southern rock as far as I'm concerned. The variety of styles of music they mixed together to get their signature sound is impressive to say the least. There is just as much jazz as there is blues, country, folk, rock, etc. In reading interviews with Duane he listed John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter and many other late 60's jazz musicians as his primary influences.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 10:55 am

They are definitely more blues based but have the southern roots because of Dickey Betts IMO! Duane was a genius on the guitar but he was more blues orientated!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 11:28 am

The guitar slingers they have now both play exceptionaly well and complement one another quite nice.

The "other" bands they play in.... Gov't Mule (Warren Haynes) and Derek Trucks Band (Derek Trucks) bothare great bands as well and "showcase" what else these players bring to the table.

Being you are more likely to catch a Mule or DTB show nationaly than an ABB nowadays, I recommend it.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 12:05 pm

Soul Shine is my fav tune of theres. I'm not a big fan of them otherwise I like a few songs..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Favorite Allman Brothers songs:

Midnight Rider (actually one of my favorite songs by any band)
Dreams
Whipping Post
Revival
In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (Fillmore East version)
Ain't Wastin' Time No More
Melissa
Mountain Jam
Jessica
One Way Out
Little Martha
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 pm

These guys are awesome. I like their live stuff when they just go off on extended jams and get lost in the moment.

cool
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 2:45 am

Huge fan. Own the first 5 or so albums.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 3:30 pm

Eat A Peach is probably the best album in the world.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 6:21 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Eat A Peach is probably the best album in the world.

Word. At Fillmore East is second to only Live at Leeds in terms of greatest live albums.
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 3:41 pm

The amazing thing about ABB is they are still going strong both live and in the studio! IMO the current guitar tandem of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks is as good or better than the classic Duane Allman/Dickie Betts dou and eons beyond any in between!

If you are a fan of ABB or Heavy Blues in general do yourself a favor and check out Gov't Mule, if you have not done so already!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Allman Brothers   The Allman Brothers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Allman Brothers
Page 1 of 1