Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Allman Brothers

Go down 
+6
manny
James B.
stepcousin
Schbopo
MetalGuy71
Jesusandmetal23
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Tell me there are more Allman Bros. fans here!

Lord, I was born a ramblin' man...
Allman Brothers 778825
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:22 pm

I never ventured any further than a Greatest Hits disc. Not really a southern rock kinda guy. I like 'em better than Skynard though. 'Whippin Post' is a great tune.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:36 pm

When I'm in the mood for something mellow, the Allmans always do the trick. The entire Brothers and Sisters album is fantastic
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 pm

a couple weeks ago I found at a yard sale "The Fillmore Concerts" double cds in excellent condition for 4 bucks (the dudes cd's were 2 bucks a piece, all ex. or mint). Ive yet to hear it but I like Allman Bros. alot and southern rock in general.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:21 pm

"Ramblin' Man" Has to be one of my favorite all time songs. I grew up on that song, literally. When I was a small child, I wouldn't be able to fall asleep unless that song was being played on repeat.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:58 am

Big Time ABB fan here

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:13 am

The Allman's are the only southern rock band I've ever been a fan of. Although I was a passing fan for many years, when I started studying jazz I kept reading about what a big fan Duane & Greg were...upon re-listening you can definitely tell how tracks like "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" are really just southern fried jazz fusion tunes. The Allman's managed to bring in their southern roots without becoming "redneck" in the process...which pretty much sets them apart from EVERY other southern rock band.

The Fillmore Concerts is a must-own, even for people who hate southern rock.

My least favorite Allman Brothers song is "Ramblin' Man", that album has the last interesting material on it.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:42 am

The only album that enjoyed from beginning to end from this guys was the 'Fillmore Concerts' that my brother used to have a two disc record set, I can still see the album cover in my mind and that is a great record, but I am going by memory it has been many many many years since I heard it.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 9:25 am

Big Allmans fan here. Especially the first four studio albums and (of course) Live at Fillmore East. Allman and Betts might just be the finest guitar duo in the history of music.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 2:28 pm

I wouldn't really call them "southern rocK" myself, like Detuned mentioned, they are more akin to blues and jazz. Warren Haynes, who is playing guitar for them now is the only rock affiliation they possess. That is due to what he plays in his own Band, Govt. Mule. The other current guitar player, Derek Trucks, has his other side projects and they are even farther away from southern rock as the ABB are. The Derek Trucks Band and Soul Stew Revival with his wife Susan Tedeschi.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 5:05 pm

Ironic to see this come up, as I had just dusted off "Beginnings" (a comp of their first two records) which I haven't heard for 30 years. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 9:53 am

Love the ABB to me they are not southern rock but blues based in general. To me they were at their peak in the 70's but have put out good cds later on but haven't in a number of years.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 10:11 am

Old Allman Brothers is great stuff. Part of the reason Duane would extend and improvise the way he did was the influence of Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' record, Coltrane's work especially. Interesting fact, previously mentioned current guitarist Derek Trucks and his wife live here in Jacksonville (though I don't know if any original members still do) and often come out to play the yearly blues festival down by the beach, it's cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 8:55 pm

I saw the "Dreams" 4 cd box set in a pawn shop yesterday for $8. Immaculate shape. didnt buy it but almost did. ya think I should?
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 9:57 pm

stepcousin wrote:
I saw the "Dreams" 4 cd box set in a pawn shop yesterday for $8. Immaculate shape. didnt buy it but almost did. ya think I should?

YOU SHOULD!!!!
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Hell yeah buy it for me!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Allman Brothers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allman Brothers   Allman Brothers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Allman Brothers
Page 1 of 1