Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slade and Sweet heavy metal?

Go down 
+8
Schbopo
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
TrogDawn
krokus
tohostudios
manny
Pontus
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 132

Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Empty
PostSubject: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi, before you try to lynch me, (Laughing) please read! Yeah, some of you that watched Top of the Pops and all those British TV shows in the early 70's where songs like "Gudbuy T'Jane" and "Blockbuster" was 1th on the charts will certainly laugh at me. But I'll take the risk! Is there anybody here that consider Sweet and Slade as heavy metal bands? No no, not their early stuff. Sweet was controlled by Chapman and Chinn and Slade did their clap your hands, stomp your feets-thing but their later stuff! After the glam rock moment in the 70's tuned out, Sweet was dropped by Chapman and Chinn and they started to write and produce their own material, to 100%. They even started to wear leather and iron crosses in the late 70's. And I personally would easily labeled albums like Give Us a Wink as 70's metal. Even professional writers have labeled Sweet as heavy metal, in the book "The Rough Guide to Heavy Metal" as example.
Slade by the way, sounded heavier than a NWOBHM band in the early 80's! Just listen to the We'll Bring the House Down and Till Deaf Do Us Apart albums! They still looked like good old polite Slade though, and their lyrics wasn't that evil. But the music was raw! So what do you think about these two bands?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 3:59 pm

I like both bands and I would consider Slade and Sweet heavy metal due to the fact that these guys influence every glam/hair/pop metal band of the 80's, and Sweet has been covered by Krokus, Black n Blue, Def Leppard, and god knows who else, plus if we are going to consider Bon Jovi and Poison heavy metal than Slade and Sweet certainly fit this billing.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 4:00 pm

I love Sweet regardless of how you classify them.

Metal student
Metal student

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 4:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I love Sweet regardless of how you classify them.

Sure, me too. I've grown up with both Slade and Sweet + countless other glam rock bands from the 70's but I was just thinking about the labels... You know, Tygers of Pan Tang's fourth album The Cage is regarded heavy metal and one of the most well known in the NWOBHM (much thanks to their cover of "Love Potion No. 9" which became their biggest hit). But that album to me sounds like just a heavy rock album with a killer pop feeling in the veins of Billy Idol. And if that is regarded metal, well, then Slade is death metal to me. (Not saying that The Cage is bad, just kind of obscure album coming from early Tygers... Well, Billy Idol ain't that bad either silent but yeah, think you get the point)
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 4:51 pm

They had some heavier songs and even some heavier albums like PONTUS already talked about. also they were a big influence on many heavy rock and heavy metal bands. I would call them glam heavy rock bands because most of their albums and songs are party glam/pop heavy rock anthems.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Awjeeznotthiscrapagainqq0
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:10 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
Sorry, I'm new on this forum. Didn't know you have discuss this before? Will search next time. My apologies!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:14 pm

It's not that, it's just one of those hot button topics that tend to get ugly.

Meaning, "Can (insert 70's band here) be considered heavy metal?" I've seen these discussions go south quickly, degenerating into a heels in the sand gridlock. Truth is, it's too subjective a topic to really get anywhere with, so every time I see it come up, my eye starts twitching...
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:27 pm

TrogDawn wrote:

Meaning, "Can -insert 70's band here- be considered heavy metal?". I've seen these discussions go south quickly, degenerating into a heels in the sand gridlock. Truth is, it's too subjective a topic to really get anywhere with, so every time I see it come up, my eye starts twitching...

Yeah, you're probably right. There is a lot older and more "serious" (if I can put it that way) metalheads here and you all seem to know your thing. I used Metal-Archives' forum for a while and there's nothing wrong with it... if you're from Norway and wear facepaint... No, but I felt very strange about that forum, well, maybe it's great if you take time and get to know the other members but I was almost pinned down, especally in the chat, for liking bands that doesn't hail Satan. So I started this thread to discuss the thing serious, if I would try it on Metal-Archives they would propably send tons of hate PM's and then burn my alive.
I don't have anything against Metal-Archives and their forum but the members I came in contact with wasn't that nice people I've hope to meet on a metal forum, like you guys (and girls?)! Thank you all for a great forum! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:34 pm

Pontus wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:

Meaning, "Can -insert 70's band here- be considered heavy metal?". I've seen these discussions go south quickly, degenerating into a heels in the sand gridlock. Truth is, it's too subjective a topic to really get anywhere with, so every time I see it come up, my eye starts twitching...

Yeah, you're probably right. There is a lot older and more "serious" (if I can put it that way) metalheads here and you all seem to know your thing. I used Metal-Archives' forum for a while and there's nothing wrong with it... if you're from Norway and wear facepaint... No, but I felt very strange about that forum, well, maybe it's great if you take time and get to know the other members but I was almost pinned down, especally in the chat, for liking bands that doesn't hail Satan. So I started this thread to discuss the thing serious, if I would try it on Metal-Archives they would propably send tons of hate PM's and then burn my alive.
I don't have anything against Metal-Archives and their forum but the members I came in contact with wasn't that nice people I've hope to meet on a metal forum, like you guys (and girls?)! Thank you all for a great forum! Very Happy

Everyone here is very friendly and I think you will find that even when we disagree we don't tend to get ugly with each other I have disagreed with some folks here and never once have I gotten a nasty PM , also everyone's taste on this board is very diverse.
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:38 pm

manny wrote:
Pontus wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:

Everyone here is very friendly and I think you will find that even when we disagree we don't tend to get ugly with each other I have disagreed with some folks here and never once have I gotten a nasty PM , also everyone's taste on this board is very diverse.

Thank you! Yeah, of course you MUST disagree at some points, not that kind of fun forum if you don't. But it's kind of scary when you get PM's from folks that says that they are going to kill you or other strange things just because you don't think like them about everything.

Sorry for off-topic by the way. Laughing

Last edited by Pontus on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:39 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Awjeeznotthiscrapagainqq0

My life was so bland before I met Trog. Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 6:59 pm

manny wrote:
Pontus wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:

Manny is spot on here.

This is the most diverse board I visit musically speaking. And it has its resident "experts" in certain types of music. I've yet to throw a band out on this board that absolutely no one has heard of. Hell, even Butt Trumpet has been mentioned here.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Of course, I haven't tried to talke about Pointed Sticks yet.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:08 pm

As far as the topic, use the search function to see the longer arguments. Bottom line for Slade and Sweet, some songs (especially Sweet) hell yes metal. But for general purposes we consider them hard rock bands around here. I think the generations here have agreed to disagree on this one, and it's ok with me.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:12 pm

For the record, Sweet were considered popmetal when I was growing up and they were on the radio. Slade never really got much airplay here in my experience.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:17 pm

I consider bands like Sweet and Slade to be proto-metal.

It's all rock and roll to me.

Shoot, right now I'm listening to some trippy, 60's Amboy Dukes.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:20 pm

Desolation Boulevard is one of my alltime favorite albums. Not a bad track on it. I especially like some of the ones that never got radio airplay like Solid Gold Brass and Into The Night.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Both bands had much heavier material which never got played on the radio here (in fact Slade, like Status Quo never got airplay here at all. I'm still bitter about this.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeah, I didn't even really know about Slade until Quiet Riot.

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 8:04 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Same here.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 10:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Ditto
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 10:36 pm

I didn't know about Quiet Riot until after Slade. They used to play play lots of Slade on the radio back in NH. I never really considered them metal, but more like...punk.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 10:40 pm

I consider those bands to be pre-glam metal bands. But songs like No you don't, set me free, and Action are songs that sound very metal
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 11:11 pm

I like both bands and would agree with Ult on this one that they are both proto-metal. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slade and Sweet heavy metal?   Slade and Sweet heavy metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slade and Sweet heavy metal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next