Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sex Pistols

Go down 
+8
SAHB Healer
Tall Tyrion
rattpoison
Fat Freddy
manny
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
Schbopo
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:40 pm

The most punk band ever. I love em. Never Mind the Bollocks is just classic and the Great Rock n' roll swindle is pretty good too. They should really make a comeback album. Anyway, opinions?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Was never much of a fan, I can see their influentialness, and understand why people like them, but outside of about 3 or 4 songs, not interested.

Now the GERMS on the otherhand, thats one helluva punk band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:16 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Was never much of a fan, I can see their influentialness, and understand why people like them, but outside of about 3 or 4 songs, not interested.

Now the GERMS on the otherhand, thats one helluva punk band.

That about sums it up for me too. I'll take the Ramones over the Pistols any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:23 pm

I like The Ramones, but they just don't have the edge that the Pistols had. I have a strong belief that you can't have a good singer and be a punk band. Joey seems to fit that description.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:42 pm

I love the Sex Pistols " Never Mind the Bollocks" is a classic. As much
as love the Sex Pistols and their Filthy Lucre Tour of '87 was alot of
fun, one of the best concert experiences ever, despite the fact I want
older bands to not just be an oldies act, the Sex Pistols should not
record another album, they will not to be able to improve, or add to
legacy of the band.
Schbopo, If you get a chance check out their documentary " The
Filth and the Fury" one of the best documentaries on any rock band, and
also gives you an overview of the what was happening in England and why
their music took the shape it did, if you are fan of the Sex Pistols
buy it or rent it.
Back to top Go down

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:48 pm

What the Pistols strived to be is what the Ramones were.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Maybe so, but I like to think they did it better.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:59 pm

spectrefate wrote:
What the Pistols strived to be is what the Ramones were.

I love the Ramones also and I had privilage to see them live 1988, but
other being labeled punk they had nothing in common culturally or
musically. I don't think the Sex Pistols strived to be anything
that is why they imploded. I have heard that The Ramones influenced the
Sex Pistols, especially Steve Jones guitar playing, great bands both
and I am glad I got to see them both live.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:08 pm

And as for someone who defined punk/rock Id have to go with G.G. Allin Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:26 pm

I liked the Sex Pistols a lot more until I saw the pseudo-documentary about them, "The Great Rock N Roll Swindle" (great film BTW) years ago and learned that they were basically a pre-packaged band put together by a failed clothing designer (Malcolm McLaren). In that context they were little more than the Spice Girls with safety pins through their noses.

But hey, "God Save the Queen" and "No Feelings" still get an occasional spin.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:37 pm

If that's true, Freddy, they just lost 20% of their awesomeness, even though I never heard anything like that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Schbopo wrote:
If that's true, Freddy, they just lost 20% of their awesomeness, even though I never heard anything like that.

Seriously bro, that band was just as pre-packaged as sliced process American Cheese.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:45 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Seriously bro, that band was just as pre-packaged as sliced process American Cheese.

This is the truth, Scobopo.

However not all prepackaged bands are bad. Deep Purple were an assembled band. The Runaways were to a point as well.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:47 pm

Malcolm McLaren was also the man behind Bow Wow Wow, best known for their half naked underage singer Annabelle and the tune "I Want Candy."

Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:56 pm

I'm sad now. Sad
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 pm

I didn't mean to ruin them for ya, dude!!

Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 11:54 pm

Who cares if the Pistols were put together as what Malcom McLaren wanted as the "British version of the New York Dolls".

McLaren didn't play their instruments or write their songs...Jones and Cook were in bands together beforehand.

Some of my favourite groups were put together in the same fashion ala the Shangri-Las, Ronettes, Runaways etc. All having a sven gali controlling them.

The point is the Pistols had the biggest impact of any of those bands that came at the time...they never sided with party politics like the Clash and nor did they immerse themselves in inane trash like the Ramones....they had bigger fish to fry. They represented and were the voice of a displaced British youth who had "No Future" due to crashing economics and an older generation who didn't care for them....but they were fun, controversial and had humour at the same time...they were the ultimate ruse.

Nevermind The Bollocks.... is just one great metal record propelled by Steve Jones wall of guitars in the manner of Asheton/Thunders before him.

Another cool thing i read about the Sex Pistols is that in their early days they used to busk playing Alice Cooper songs such as "Sick Things" and "I Love The Dead"!

Having said all this i'd take the Damned, Saints and Dead Boys ahead of all those bands mentioned.

Last edited by rattpoison on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 11:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I liked the Sex Pistols a lot more until I saw the pseudo-documentary about them, "The Great Rock N Roll Swindle" (great film BTW) years ago and learned that they were basically a pre-packaged band put together by a failed clothing designer (Malcolm McLaren). In that context they were little more than the Spice Girls with safety pins through their noses.

This is the first I hear about this.... Seriously. Shocked
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 12:14 am

They've been a lightning rod for some reason since day one. I've always liked them just for what they were anyway. But I'd have to say that there's no way that they can compare with bands like the Damned who had a career, rather just the album. But you gotta give John Lydon credit for stuff like Public Image etc. too (awesome); and Steve Jones has proven to be a keeper of the metal flame like few others as well. No poser there.
Anyway they are one of a great many contrived bands; (one for example, Brinsley Schwartz got absolutely savaged for being created for the media, but turned out to be a great band). How many dozen contrived bands have we seen flame into obscurity in just the last decade? Many. The thing about the Pistols album is that it has stood up on it's music. When all is and and done it's a great record.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 12:22 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
They've been a lightning rod for some reason since day one. I've always liked them just for what they were anyway. But I'd have to say that there's no way that they can compare with bands like the Damned who had a career, rather just the album. But you gotta give John Lydon credit for stuff like Public Image etc. too (awesome); and Steve Jones has proven to be a keeper of the metal flame like few others as well. No poser there.
Anyway they are one of a great many contrived bands; (one for example, Brinsley Schwartz got absolutely savaged for being created for the media, but turned out to be a great band). How many dozen contrived bands have we seen flame into obscurity in just the last decade? Many. The thing about the Pistols album is that it has stood up on it's music. When all is and and done it's a great record.

Exactly, PIL were great and Jones has to be one of the best metal guitarists in every sense of the word. Those guitars on Nevermind are just great, a total wall of atom bomb metal guitar playing in the mold of Asheton/Williamson/Thunders.

With all the plaudits afforded him i still think Jones is incredibly underrated.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:56 am

i know they are touring again but are they still relevant?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 7:09 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I liked the Sex Pistols a lot more until I saw the
pseudo-documentary about them, "The Great Rock N Roll Swindle" (great
film BTW) years ago and learned that they were basically a pre-packaged
band put together by a failed clothing designer (Malcolm McLaren). In
that context they were little more than the Spice Girls with safety
pins through their noses.

Freddy if you watch the documentry "Filthy and the Fury" it lays all
those myths to rest that were put out there by Malcolm McLaren,
including the one he started about the Pistols being pre fabricated,
those stories are pure bollocks
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 7:11 am

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I liked the Sex Pistols a lot more until I saw the
pseudo-documentary about them, "The Great Rock N Roll Swindle" (great
film BTW) years ago and learned that they were basically a pre-packaged
band put together by a failed clothing designer (Malcolm McLaren). In
that context they were little more than the Spice Girls with safety
pins through their noses.

Freddy if you watch the documentry "Filthy and the Fury" it lays all
those myths to rest that were put out there by Malcolm McLaren,
including the one he started about the Pistols being pre fabricated,
those stories are pure bollocks

I should also add that The Great Rock n Roll SWindle and Filthy and Fury were both directed by Julien Temple
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 7:22 am

here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_T7c2HryDg

and clip from the film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJxAEnXtQFk
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Sex Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex Pistols   Sex Pistols Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 9:28 am

I saw these guys a couple months back on one of the late night talk shows. They have all aged badly but they still sounded and acted in true Pistols manner. I have always liked these guys and could care less about how they came to be, Nevermind The Bollocks is a cool album with lots of aggression and attitude, thats what punk was all about in my opinion. They gave a great big middle finger to everything and shook up the world for a while.
Back to top Go down

Sex Pistols
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next