Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rory Gallagher

Go down 
+3
SAHB Healer
manny
MetalGuy71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Rory Gallagher Empty
PostSubject: Rory Gallagher   Rory Gallagher Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:46 pm

I seem to recall posting some comments about this guy before, but my searches are comin' up with bupkis, so...

Rory Gallagher, Irish blues-rock singer/guitarist. Any fans?

I recently picked up a 2-cd Essential Collection and I'm just blown away at the playing. What really shocks me is how unknown he is, at least in the States. Hitting his stride in the late 60's and through the 70's, I can't believe his style of guitar virtuosity and catchy songs aren't staples of classic rock stations to this day. According to the cd's liner notes, Rory was asked to replace Mick Taylor in the Stones and was once considdered as a replacement for Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple, but he passed on both, preferrering to lead his own band. Pretty high praises for an "unknown". Now, granted, I'm listening to what is considdered his greatest hits, so maybe his regular studio albums were a bit hit-or-miss, or maybe he didn't play the right politics back in the day or maybe he was just never in the right place at the right time. Anyone who knows more about his career is welcome to enlighten the unenlightened.

Sadly, Rory passed away in 1995. But his music will of course live on forever. At least in my home. Any recommendations of his other material would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Rory Gallagher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rory Gallagher   Rory Gallagher Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:24 pm

Metal guy check out his self titled album, or his album "Tatto" also live is where Rory really shined, the live album "Irish Tour 1974" is one of the best live albums of any genre, the guy was a monster on the axe.
He also had a trio named Taste which was an excellent band and their self titled lp " Taste" is great place to start. They were like the Irish version of Cream, live clips of them playing at Isle of Wight have been posted on You Tube of Taste playing at the same festival that featured The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan , and The Who among others, and they more than held their ground.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Rory Gallagher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rory Gallagher   Rory Gallagher Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 6:58 pm

My faves are "Taste" (the Best Of is fine) and especially his solo "Top Priority". Songs like "Bad Penny" and "Philby" have some of the most tenacious riffs I've ever heard. I think Rory at times used some of the SAHB guys in his band.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

Rory Gallagher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rory Gallagher   Rory Gallagher Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:51 pm

I think I have posted this here before. The 1st concert I attended Rory was the opening act. Nice introduction to the world of live concerts.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Rory Gallagher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rory Gallagher   Rory Gallagher Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Irish Tour fantastic live album!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12611

Rory Gallagher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rory Gallagher   Rory Gallagher Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 10:55 am

I have alot of Rory on dvd from early on in his career to just before his passing. My love of his playing reflects more on his live performance than studio stuff, although that stuff is great as well. The early Tatse stuff is excellent and by any means, if you dig Rory, check that out.
The trio version of Rory's band with Gerry Mc Govery on bass and Rod De'Ath on drums was a brutal musical force. De' Ath is an excellent drummer who most folks have never heard of him, much less been exposed to.
I recommend the Irish Tour dvd for those who'd like to discover what treasure Rory was and experience the musical legacy of this unique talented player. Then get the Live At Montruex dvd, which showcases multilpe performances from various years.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Rory Gallagher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rory Gallagher   Rory Gallagher Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm just getting into his stuff. A friend of mine turned me on to him this summer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rory Gallagher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rory Gallagher   Rory Gallagher Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rory Gallagher
Page 1 of 1