Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A high school football player in my area died Friday night

Go down 
+2
mc666
the sentinel
6 posters
AuthorMessage

A high school football player in my area died Friday night Empty
PostSubject: A high school football player in my area died Friday night   A high school football player in my area died Friday night Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 5:51 pm

After a hit he took. Turns out it was my friend's wife's nephew. The kids who hurt him are seriously confused, I know that. I couldn't imagine what those kids are going through as well as the kid's family.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/ne.../game_high.html

A high school football player in my area died Friday night 7e1b025d-09d5-4efb-b839-ffd8d3f359e1

Niceville football player dies after in-game collision

Comments 69 | Recommend 107 August 30, 2008 - 12:21PM
[url=mailto://]Travis Downey and Andrew Gant[/url]
Daily News

FORT WALTON BEACH - A 15-year-old Niceville High School football player died Saturday after he was hurt in a game Friday night, saddened school officials said.
Taylor Haugen's injury was "very unusual" - so severe and so instantaneous that no one could save his life, said Okaloosa County Public Safety Director Dino Villani.
"Everyone did all they could do, from the school personnel to our EMS folks to fire(fighters) and the hospital," he said. "The system was there. I think everyone did all they could do for him. It's just a tragedy."
Haugen, a sophomore wide receiver, was hurt in a collision with two Fort Walton Beach players during the second half of the game, said Okaloosa County Schools Superintendent Alexis Tibbetts.
He died Saturday morning at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center.
Click here to see Taylor's obituary and sign a guest book for the family.
"It's a terrible tragedy," Tibbetts said. "It's such an emotional time. It's almost impossible to explain how emotional it is for the family, team and coaches."
Haugen was a member of the junior varsity squad, which played the second half of the Kickoff Classic. The varsity teams played in the first half.
A doctor was in the crowd, and an ambulance responded to take Haugen to the hospital. It responded from its station nearby, not from the field, Villani said. Ambulances often are stationed at football games in case of injuries.
The response time was less than five minutes.
Officials also launched a medical helicopter - which would have taken Haugen to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola - but rescuers on the ground decided they didn't have that much time.
"The injuries were so severe that we couldn't wait on the helicopter. It was definitely a load-and-go," Villani said.
He said Haugen suffered a fatal abdominal injury but didn't provide details.
"He came off (the field) jogging and as he started to walk he got wobbly as he got to the sideline," Niceville High School coach John Hicks said.
Haugen's teammates and other classmates gathered at Niceville First Methodist Church on Saturday evening where they could console each other as well as speak with a counselor.
"We're going to try and do the best we can," Hicks said. "I'm most concerned about his parents right now and what they're going through and our football team.
"We are just going to try to take it one day at a time."
He said Haugen always had a positive attitude and a smile on his face. He loved football and his teammates.
The school district was providing grief counseling for fellow students, teammates and staff.
"This is an extremely emotional time for our players and coaches and the entire community and Okaloosa Schools will continue to encourage and support each other and the Haugen family during this difficult time," Tibbetts said in a statement.
Taylor's parents are Brian and Kathy Haugen of Valparaiso. They could not be reached for comment Saturday.
A time of visitation will be from 1:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2008, at the First United Methodist Church of Niceville Community Life Center. A funeral service will follow at 3:30 p.m. Interment will follow in Heritage Gardens Cemetery.
Daily News Sports Editor Jared Macarin contributed to this report.

Last edited by DenimAndLeather on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: A high school football player in my area died Friday night   A high school football player in my area died Friday night Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 6:13 pm

I'll definately say some prayers for all involved. Unfortunately, I have been around this situation before. When I was a student in H.S., we had two kids die in a car accident on a Saturday night; and a few years ago, when I was a H.S. teacher, we lost two students in a week. One hit his head in a skateboard stunt and the other died on her way to work when her car hit ice and then hit a pole. It's a very sad situation. Sad
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A high school football player in my area died Friday night   A high school football player in my area died Friday night Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 6:37 pm

sadly, that kind of thing is a possibility in football. i feel bad for everyone involved.

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: A high school football player in my area died Friday night   A high school football player in my area died Friday night Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 8:42 pm

This is really unfortunate. A friend of mine in high school died at the same age of this football player, he drowned in the ocean just out of town when he was 15.

I will be praying for his family and classmates. I really symphathize for his friends, its a horrible feeling when you go to graduate and that person that died isnt there graduating with you after all the memories and crazy times you've had together.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: A high school football player in my area died Friday night   A high school football player in my area died Friday night Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 pm

I heard about this. Sad
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: A high school football player in my area died Friday night   A high school football player in my area died Friday night Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 pm

yeah I seen this in the paper over the weekend.Sad indeed.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: A high school football player in my area died Friday night   A high school football player in my area died Friday night Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:39 am

My condolences to his friends and family.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A high school football player in my area died Friday night   A high school football player in my area died Friday night Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A high school football player in my area died Friday night
Page 1 of 1