Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dinosaur Jr.

Go down 
+9
Metallic Blaze
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
DeathCult
manny
Shiney
White_Mage
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 11:30 am

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Its from 1991 so I assume it comprises the early more aggressive/noisy stuff...plus it's single/ep stuff so it's probably weird.
It's pretty good. It's got a couple album cuts, if I remember correctly. A mellow acoustic tune, and...three covers, I think. One is really heavy, an old punk cover...I think.

Eh. I don't own it anymore (I should), so I may be wrong. Either way, it's a good place to start. Cheap. Haha. If you dig the EP, you should dig most of their stuff.

Sounds like a cross-section of styles...cool...I'll grab it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 pm

OK, so I grabbed Fossils...spinning it now...good, noisy alternative pop.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:04 pm

I pulled this album out the other day, meant to mention it here. But if you guys dig Dinosaur Jr., you should check out Sweet Apple. It's J's latest side-project between him and Dave Sweetapple (who's also in Witch).

It's a little hard rock, a little pop and punk, and a bit retro, but it's really good.

Ignore the horribly bad acting in the beginning. Hell, the entire video is stupid. Haha. Anyway, here's a live version of one of the more retro-sounding tracks on the album (which just happens to be my favorite track):

Great little album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:10 pm

And just happened to click this video, which might be the worst tutorial I've ever seen:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 8:41 pm

I like me some Dinosaur Jr. - but I have to be in the right mood.

They aren't a top favorite or anything.

But every once in a blue moon I get the itch for some noisy/alternative stuff and this is usually what I crank. This or Sonic Youth.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 3:57 am

Dinosaur Jr. is a waste of a great band name.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:07 am

aww they're not that bad bopey.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:17 am

Eyesore wrote:
And just happened to click this video, which might be the worst tutorial I've ever seen:

lol!

so this what Metal Rob's been up to!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:17 am

Sonic Youth is awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 am

Addy wrote:
Sonic Youth is awesome!

I like em.

Don't you think they are kinda like Dinosaur Jr. in some ways?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 am

The only song I know by them is their weak rendition of Rock and Roll All Nite from the Kiss My A$$ tribute. That's all I really need to hear from them.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 am

Based on what ive heard from both Id say no not really but yet you can tell by their sound that they would be in the same ballpark.

You want a good band check out The Pixies they got some good stuff, Nirvana's claimed that Smells Like Teen Spirit was a Pixies ripoff. Pixies also have done a song that was used in Fight Club near the end its called Where Is My Mind

I do like from what ive heard some Dinosaur Jr but im not as familiar with them as I am with bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Mudhoney, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Hole, etc.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 am

007 wrote:
The only song I know by them is their weak rendition of Rock and Roll All Nite from the Kiss My A$$ tribute. That's all I really need to hear from them.

That is Toad The Wet Sprocket...Dinosaur Jr does "Goin' Blind"...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for the fix. I hadn't heard that thing in a while (didn't really like it) so I guess I got my bands all mixed up. Still I can't even remember the Goin' Blind version from that. surprised
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:35 am

Addy, I like The Pixies. Quite well actually. I also like Nirvana and Hole.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:43 am

I like a lot of bands from the 90s now that I can't say I liked then....The Pixies, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Slowdive, The Breeders, Urge Overkill...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 am

MB- Have you heard Hole's latest? Nobody's Daughter? Its alright its not Live Through This which i think is a good album as is celebrity skin

Nirvana I got into just a few months before Cobain killed himself. I still like them but not like I did in the 90s

Smashing Pumpkins is another one I like too but they have their own sound.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:16 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
aww they're not that bad bopey.

I don't hate them, it's just that with such an awesome name as "Dinosaur Jr.", I guess I was expecting something....better.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:20 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I like a lot of bands from the 90s now that I can't say I liked then....The Pixies, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Slowdive, The Breeders, Urge Overkill...

Same here! Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 604261

Addy wrote:
MB- Have you heard Hole's latest? Nobody's Daughter? Its alright its not Live Through This which i think is a good album as is celebrity skin

Nirvana I got into just a few months before Cobain killed himself. I still like them but not like I did in the 90s

Smashing Pumpkins is another one I like too but they have their own sound.

No, I don't have "Nobody's Daughter", but I like both "Live Through This" and "Celebrity Skin".

With Nirvana I like "Nevermind" and "In Utero" best. I do like "Bleach", but not as much as the others.

I'm not a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan. They are hit or miss for me. I like a few albums, but then don't care for others.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Violet Burning is comparable to Smashing Pumpkins in some respect in fact im not sure if hes still in the group but one of the guitarists for Smashing Pumpkins was in the Violet Burning

With Nirvana its Bleach and Insecticide , I like Nevermind In Utero for me would be at the bottom of the list of all the Nirvana stuff I got its the least listened to album for me
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Bleach & Nevermind are my favorite studio albums...but In Utero is great too...I don't have Incesticide, but I have the box set.

Unplugged In NY, though, is my favorite Nirvana recording ever...

Smashing Pumkins is also another band I kinda liked OK in the 90s, but think are great now...I need to get Gish & Siamese Dream as all I have is Mellon Collie...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 4:06 pm

I love Nirvana's Nevermind but favorite album by them is 'In Utero' fantastic songs and heartfelt lyrics that were a bit more poetic then 'Nevermind' IMO. Shawn you really should get 'Incesticide' an excellent collection of b sides etc and way better then the boxset, despite it consisting of only one disc.

In the 90's I was in my 20's and I loved all these bands Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, The Pixies, R.E.M., Mother Love Bone, Soundgarden, and the list is endless. Unlike some of my a$$hole friends who dropped 'metal' because it was no longer hip (since when has metal ever been considered hip or cool anyway?) I did not sell those bands like KISS, Ratt, down the river when I started to stretch my musical horizons beyond metal/hard rock
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 4:32 pm

In the 90s, I was mainly still into Metal...or at least Metal bands who were trying to modernize their sound at the time (Sound Of White Noise, Vanishing Lessons, Load, etc).

I liked a few radio songs of the time, and bought a few CDs here and there that were not Metal, but overall I kept up with the Metal stuff as much as I could. Then in the mid-late 90s I discovered the European Prog/Power Metal craze and that kept me pretty busy for a while. I was all about long, intense musicianship and wailing vocals.

But the older I've gotten, I find myself really discovering and opening up to 70s and 90s stuff I never paid attention to and it's been really rewarding.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Incesticide is great. I like it better than In Utero. You should really pick that one up.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
But the older I've gotten, I find myself really discovering and opening up to 70s and 90s stuff I never paid attention to and it's been really rewarding.

Same here dude! I still love the 80s stuff and I'm a major lover of all things metal. Metal is my first and foremost love in music. However, I've discovered many a hidden treasure in the scenes of the 70s and 90s that most metal people overlook. It really is quite rewarding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dinosaur Jr.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next