Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dinosaur Jr.

Go down 
+9
Metallic Blaze
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
DeathCult
manny
Shiney
White_Mage
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:41 pm

A great Grunge/Alt/Sludge group lead by J Mascis I got into them after I got into Witch I loved Witch so much that I decied to check out J's original band and now I'm way into them

anyother fans on here?
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:42 pm

I can take or leave DINO JR.

The only song of theirs I ever was whole hog on was "Freakscene"

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Green Mind is a killer album. Other than that they had some other good songs I can't remember right now.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:51 pm

Dinosaur Jr a great band who's muddy, feedback sound paved way for the grunge bands that followed, also win extra coolness points for being signed on Greg Ginn's SST label for a short while.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:58 pm

I remember them, they were ok. But, as a whole I never really got into alterative, a few bands stick out to me here and there, but most of its take or leave.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 8:41 pm

I used to love them, but sold off their stuff. I've been meaning to pick them up again, but it's not top priority stuff.

Cool fact: Mascis is one of my best friend's cousin. I got to meet him a few times back in the day before she moved to San Diego.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 10:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Cool fact: Mascis is one of my best friend's cousin. I got to meet him a few times back in the day before she moved to San Diego.

Thats wicked is J a cool guy
Back to top Go down

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 2:42 am

White_Mage wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Thats wicked is J a cool guy
Sure. He always seemed cool. I've never been one to pester musicians or famous people. I just let him do his thing. I met him twice, I think, or three times, always at family cookouts/gatherings.

I was young also, a teenager, so I really didn't care who the hell he was. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:11 am

Just now hearing Dinosaur Jr for the first time. I never knew they were so dischordant and noisy...I like it. I assumed by the name and album covers that it was more 90s/Alt/Grunge stuff...I saw them included on a list of Shoegaze type bands and decided to check into them since it was a name I knew. Some of his screaming vocals are almost Black Metal...haha! I did not realize how much Sludge they had in their sound...

YouTube is my friend.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:14 am

Great band. J. Mascis is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 am

OK, so that one song off of Bug is the only one I've come across so far that was THAT dischordant and noisy...other stuff has been more pop...but I like it. Just listened to a newer song (I assume, since Mascis is all white-haired now) called "Over It"...I liked it.

Great...one more band to add to my "get stuff by these guys" pile...haha!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 am

The SST albums are "heavier". Starting with "Green Mind" (my personal favorite) they (he) added more melody to the mix.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:21 am

The best cover of a Cure song ever. Smile

Dinosaur Jr - Just Like Heaven by jesus_lizard
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:27 am

OK, I've heard this song "Feel The Pain" before...I never knew who it was...I can hear the showgaze influences in it...cool stuff.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:31 am

Grab the 'Bug' 'You're Living All Over me' and 'Without a Sound' great sludgefest moments in rock history, never thought of the shoe glaze influence til you brought up Shawn.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:39 am

I mean, it's not strict shoegaze, but the influence is in there...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:50 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I mean, it's not strict shoegaze, but the influence is in there...

I knew what meant, you made it very clear, it just I never picked up on it, til you mentioned it, shoegaze is a genre I know very little about, so I thought it was interesting observation regarding Dinosaur Jr's influence on that style of music.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Right. Cool.

I'll be hitting the used store tomorrow...I know I've seen some Dinosaur Jr in there before. But my list of bands I want is so huge, it may not get bumped up.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Love these guys. I sold their stuff in the Air Force, but have slowly been adding them back into my collection. I'd forgotten how great they were. They were a favorite of mine as a teen and into my 20s. Still are, I guess.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Never gave these guys a thought, but I'm a fan of J. Mascis' other side project Witch. Cool stoner/doomy goodness, if you're so inclined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_(band)

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:08 am

The only Dinosaur Jr they have is what looks like an EP collection called Fossils...is it any good?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:10 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The only Dinosaur Jr they have is what looks like an EP collection called Fossils...is it any good?

Never mind, just saw it has The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" on it...I'm getting it this week!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Wish I knew Shawn but I never heard of this release.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:02 am

Its from 1991 so I assume it comprises the early more aggressive/noisy stuff...plus it's single/ep stuff so it's probably weird.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 11:28 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Its from 1991 so I assume it comprises the early more aggressive/noisy stuff...plus it's single/ep stuff so it's probably weird.
It's pretty good. It's got a couple album cuts, if I remember correctly. A mellow acoustic tune, and...three covers, I think. One is really heavy, an old punk cover...I think.

Eh. I don't own it anymore (I should), so I may be wrong. Either way, it's a good place to start. Cheap. Haha. If you dig the EP, you should dig most of their stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dinosaur Jr. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Jr.   Dinosaur Jr. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dinosaur Jr.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next