Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Janis Joplin

Go down 
+6
rattpoison
James B.
Shiney
tohostudios
jstate
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:33 pm

I was surprised to see no thread on Janis Joplin, especially when you consider how electic all of us post on this board are. Janis Joplin's music is slightly dated but I feel her vocal phrashing was huge influence and one cannot deny the trail she blazed for women rockers in general. Her career (1966-1970) was very short lived but she has cast a very long shadow, and her version of "Ball and Chain" is still one of the best blues recordings to come out of her era.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 9:13 am

I'm not real familiar with all her stuff. But I always liked what I heard. She had such a cool voice. She is one, had she lived, who I always felt would have done some amazing things throughout the seventies.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 am

If you like Janis, check out Beth Hart.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 12:26 pm

tohostudios wrote:
If you like Janis, check out Beth Hart.

Beth Hart is really cool and she does remind me alot of Janis, good call
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Forget BETH HART check out SUSAN TEDESCHI, especially on the song "It Hurts So Bad"

Although BETH HART is cool....

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 12:40 pm

Shiney wrote:
Forget BETH HART check out SUSAN TEDESCHI, especially on the song "It Hurts So Bad"

Susan Tedeschi is also a great guitartist
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 2:19 pm

manny wrote:
Shiney wrote:

Never heard of Tedeschi. Off to investigate.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 7:33 pm

Shiney wrote:

Susan's husband isn't too shabby of a guitarist himself. Mr. Derek Trucks.

My wife has a bunch of Janis's stuff she did in Texas before either of her trip to Frisco. It is country blues, interesting to listen to and it shows where she got some of her style from, I suppose the rest came from the enviroment of the Haight district
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 1:45 am

Shiney wrote:

Forget them all check out Elkie Brooks! She's the best one to derive that influence from Janis, in the UK in the 70's her soul shredding vocals could only be matched by Steve Marriott.....she also matched Janis in the self destruction stakes.....although thank god she surivived.

As for Janis, i love Big Brother And The Holding Company. My mum repeatedly played Janis when i was young so i grew up with her and my Dad's early Zeppelin records, you know it might seem strange but those Big Brother And The Holding Company and early Led Zeppelin records are pretty much interchangeable to me musically. You know those big bluesy hard rock guitars and big rough vocals out front.

A big concert highlight for me was seeing the New York Dolls last year and seeing David Johansen say "Well our favourite artist is Janis Joplin" and then seeing them break out into a great cover of "Piece Of My Heart".
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:41 pm

tohostudios wrote:
manny wrote:
Shiney wrote:

Never heard of Tedeschi. Off to investigate.

I have all of Susans material her earlier material is raw and brilliant but it now tends to be a little less raw but still good.
I have Janis Joplins - Box Of Pearls great boxset.

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Love Janis! "Ball and Chain" was so raw, and I love the "rap" in the middle "...and as we found out on the train yesterday, tomorrow never comes. It's all the same f-in' day, man!" Love the hippie logic! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:16 am

Janis Joplin 83628

Watched Janis Joplin's Bio on the Biography Channel last night. Fascinating individual. It was interesting how her self image is actually what killed her. She never thought she was worth anything, even at the top of her popularity. Everytime she'd get clean and get her life on track, she'd experience something that crushed her world and the drugs started again.

I never cared for her music because I think she howled way too much instead of singing within her range (like her contemporary Grace Slick). But at the end of the day, I admire her style and power on stage. It's just sad she couldn't take that power and use it in her personal life.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:26 am

I agree with your assement on Janis Joplin, I am a fan of her music, even if IMO her music has not dated as well as some of her contempories.

Her vocal style was unique and had alot of power, personally I feel Grace Slick was a better vocalist but that is just my opinion.

Janis Joplin was a blues howler and her music I think resonates because she could wrestle every emotion she was feeling, her voice was almost physical if that makes sense.

Sad that this woman who pioneered (along with Grace Slick and to a way smaller extent Nico) the female rock star and artist an era dominated by men, did not use that power she had to save herself.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:43 am

I have her greatest hits available for trade if anyone is interested.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm going to pick up most of those suggested here, as well as some Stone The Crows with Maggie Bell, Jimmy Dewar from Robin Trower, and Alex Harvey's brother Les all in the band. How can it be bad?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Janis Joplin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin   Janis Joplin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Janis Joplin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: