Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Janis Joplin 40 years ago today

Go down 
+5
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
manny
9 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 8:55 am

Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Janis-joplin-free-when-she-sang

It was 40 years ago today that Janis Joplin died at the age of 27, a pioneering female rocker who's only peer during her short career was Grace Slick. The woman sang with a raw emotion and intensity that have been matched by few and 40 years later she is still missed
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Poor Janis no love from my peps at the HoM, well I salute you anyway Janis. drunk
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 3:06 pm

manny wrote:
Poor Janis no love from my peps at the HoM, well I salute you anyway Janis. drunk

Never listened to her stuff...... sorry!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Can't say I know much about her music, Manny, but I thought it was cool that Big Brother and the Holding Company got legendary underground comics artist Robert Crumb to draw the cover art to the "Cheap Thrills" album.

I also read a great story years ago by a guy talking about seeing her live in Jersey City in the late '60s, he said there were tons of cops all over the venue acting as security (cuz, y'know, hippies were violent and destructive and all that) and Janis punched one of them out when he tried to stop a fan from climbing onstage to dance. The writer said "Seeing that made me love Janis even more than I already did." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Had the Greatest Hits, but it didn't do much for me. Not a big fan of female rockers (with a few exceptions) pioneers or not. Sorry.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:35 pm

All good just wanted to acknowledge her passing I am a fan plus the story FF told is a true story so that makes me like her even more.

In Tampa (where I am at) a few months before her death due to Jim Morrison's infamous Miami show a year earlier they had what Janis called a 'f**k claus' in her concert contract for the venue she performed at (Curtis Hixon hall) if she were to cuss on stage she was warned she would be arrested, needless to say Janis made it a point to drop as many f bombs as possible and of course she was arrested.

Very Cool rock chick.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Loved her voice but not her music.

I work with a guy who used to run light shows for bands out in San Fran in the 60s. He claims to have danced with both Janis Joplin and Grace Slick at some of the aftershow parties. And I believe him because he describe the house Jefferson Airplane was living in and several months later I saw the exact same house on J.A.'s episode of Behind The Music.

BTW, if you like Joplin's vocals, check out Beth Hart.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 pm

I have some stuff Janis did before she left Port Authur, Tx. for San Fransisco. It is more Texas Swing and traditional blues. I know dhe isn't for everyone, but I think she was amazing. The power and emotion is above and beyond.

The Kosmic Blues band was way better than Big Brother & The Holding Company IMHO, especially onstage. She had a very unique vocal style and would of only gotten better with age if she wouldn't of died.

RIP Pearl

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 7:58 pm

Quote :
The power and emotion is above and beyond.

Bingo! That's what I feel too.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 pm

manny wrote:
...yeah.. Janis Joplin 40 years ago today 775710
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 7:53 pm

She was hit or miss with me I love Bog Brother stuff though. I do have Box Of Pearls boxset.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:21 pm

One of the most soulful voices in rock and roll ever. I've always loved her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Janis Joplin 40 years ago today   Janis Joplin 40 years ago today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Janis Joplin 40 years ago today
Page 1 of 1