Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer

Go down 
+23
T-Roy
metalinmyveins
James B.
INVADERS
sam
Jedilink
MetalRob331
Selvmord
DallasBlack
ThrashedOutCobra33
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
TheGooch
Thrasher73
Required Fields
Leatherface
Stender
SideShowDisaSter
XYZ
Lurideath
mc666
manny
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 2:46 pm

SHOW NO MERCY!! Thats my favorite anyway
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I dig some Slayer but I'm not a fanboy. I say if you've got HELL AWAITS, REIGN IN BLOOD and SEASONS IN THE ABYSS then you've got the three pillars of their catalog... the rest of the stuff is just gravy

I'd go with you on that. The songs from the classic albums are the only ones I am real familar with (I had Hell Awaits and Reign In Blood on tape and Decade of Aggression on tape and later CD), though I do remember liking some stuff from Divine Intervention but after that I stopped following them. These days I can't bring myself to get any Slayer or even listen to them that often, bucause like Ult and others, I have a problem with the lyrics. Plus my interest in so many other bands have Slayer off my radar. I might get Decade Of Aggression again someday but that would be it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 4:05 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I dig some Slayer but I'm not a fanboy. I say if you've got HELL AWAITS, REIGN IN BLOOD and SEASONS IN THE ABYSS then you've got the three pillars of their catalog... the rest of the stuff is just gravy

I'd go with you on that. The songs from the classic albums are the only ones I am real familar with (I had Hell Awaits and Reign In Blood on tape and Decade of Aggression on tape and later CD), though I do remember liking some stuff from Divine Intervention but after that I stopped following them. These days I can't bring myself to get any Slayer or even listen to them that often, bucause like Ult and others, I have a problem with the lyrics. Plus my interest in so many other bands have Slayer off my radar. I might get Decade Of Aggression again someday but that would be it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to owning more Slayer in the future (the lyrics ain't a big thing with me) but I'm in no real hurry either. If I happen to stumble across, say, SHOW NO MERCY or the UNDISPUTED ATTITUDE CDs on the cheap I'll definitely snake those, no problem. It's just that there are sooooo many CDs and not enough $$, so Slayer are way down on my never-ending shopping list.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 5:02 pm

very few bands top Slayer on the purchase list for me. i'll always put off buying something else if Slayer has a new one out.

Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Guest wrote:
I like Slayer, but I never understood all the hype about Reign in blood. They have so many better albums. My favorite is Seasons in the Abyss.

Reign in Blood was ground breaking. It changed the face of heavy metal / thrash. Season was a far more thought out album, and a masterpiece in it's own right. But Reign influanced hundreds if not thousands of bands, even to this day. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 pm

The "slower" albums. Interesting that they never get much attention.

South Of Heaven - This record shocked some people at the time (those expecting RIB pt 2), but to me it's one of their most consistently enjoyable records. The title track is of course incredible, but tracks like Silent Scream, Ghosts Of War and one of my all-time faves Spill The Blood make this one essential.

Diabolus in Musica - Another "mis-understood" Slayer release, maybe not a classic, but definitely a good album that takes awhile to truly sink in. Tracks like Bitter Peace, Stain Of Mind and Love To Hate are all great.

Slayer's lyrics don't bother me...because I know it's all just part of their schtick. They were shock rock before there was a term for it. They aren't satanists, they're just not overly happy with organized religion.
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:23 pm

detuned wrote:

South Of Heaven - This record shocked some people at the time (those expecting RIB pt 2), but to me it's one of their most consistently enjoyable records. The title track is of course incredible, but tracks like Silent Scream, Ghosts Of War and one of my all-time faves Spill The Blood make this one essential.

Diabolus in Musica - Another "mis-understood" Slayer release, maybe not a classic, but definitely a good album that takes awhile to truly sink in. Tracks like Bitter Peace, Stain Of Mind and Love To Hate are all great.

Slayer's lyrics don't bother me...because I know it's all just part of their schtick. They were shock rock before there was a term for it. They aren't satanists, they're just not overly happy with organized religion.

I honestly think alot of people never bothered to listen to the slower albums. Alot of people form their opinions of Slayer on Reign In Blood and Seasons In The Abyss. Both good albums, but not all encompassing for the band. The lyrics are part of the image. Kerry King is just a grown up 10 year old who writes that crap to shock those thinking on the lowest tier. The band wouldn't have consistently been making records for 25 years if they weren't doing something right.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:24 pm

Slayer wasn't "Shock Rock." Alice Cooper was the first to be called that....
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Selvmord wrote:

True, but you get the point I was trying to make. Remember those early promotional photos of Slayer killing the girl on the altar and all that stuff? It's all cartoonish shock stuff, I never took it seriously...but it didn't ruin my appreciation of the band either.

I like Horror Films and I like Slayer...they exist in the same realm. Slayer is basically the musical equivalent of a slasher flick.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 pm

detuned wrote:
Selvmord wrote:

True, but you get the point I was trying to make. Remember those early promotional photos of Slayer killing the girl on the altar and all that stuff? It's all cartoonish shock stuff, I never took it seriously...but it didn't ruin my appreciation of the band either.

I like Horror Films and I like Slayer...they exist in the same realm. Slayer is basically the musical equivalent of a slasher flick.

Exactly. Slayer is a horror movie for your ears..... Smile

Love 'em!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 pm

Not a huge fan and a lot of that has to do with Kerry's playing. When Slayer slows it down to a rhythmic style they are awesome but the speed tunes all sound similar to me. Fav song Beyond the Crooked Cross
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 pm

Hanneman is the machine that really makes the Slayer engine run. He's by far the better guitarist and songwriter. I remember reading an interview years ago in Guitar World where Kerry said he only knows how to solo in "A".
lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:56 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Fav song Beyond the Crooked Cross
Beyond Behind the Crooked Cross

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Fav song Beyond the Crooked Cross
Beyond Behind the Crooked Cross

Not to be confused with Beyond The Blue Horizon. lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:25 pm

I agree that Slayer are a horror film for the ears, an audio Stephen
King novel, but also think some of their lyrics on their later albums
have more substance than what the song titles may infer.
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:53 am

Eh, it seems that almost any time I hear a quote from Kerry King, he's saying something about how stupid religion is and all of this stuff. I just get sick of hearing it. I mean if they'd stop with the whole satan thing, they might hold my interest a bit more...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:08 am

Jedilink wrote:
Eh, it seems that almost any time I hear a quote from Kerry King, he's saying something about how stupid religion is and all of this stuff. I just get sick of hearing it. I mean if they'd stop with the whole satan thing, they might hold my interest a bit more...

Slayer doesn't do the "whole satan thing". Anti-religion doesn't mean satanic.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:23 am

i never liked show no mercy that much
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:14 pm

Jedilink wrote:

Tom's a devoted Catholic. Not that being Catholic would be something to be proud of, but it is a form of Christianity. Even Tom has said that he doesn't always agree with the lyrics of Slayer songs, but it's for entertainment, and he doesn't feel like he has to agree...

Just because I like to read about serial killers, doesn't mean I agree with what they did..... Same diff.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:20 pm

couldn't stand slayer for the longest time, but in the last week seasons in the abyss is at most listened #4
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 12:31 am

detuned wrote:

Absolutely.I tend to spin South of Heaven far more than any other Slayer disc.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 8:33 am

hell awaits and divine intervention are probably my favs....
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 9:03 am

my favourites are reign in blood seasons inthe abyss and south of heaven
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to owning more Slayer in the future (the lyrics ain't a big thing with me) but I'm in no real hurry either. If I happen to stumble across, say, SHOW NO MERCY or the UNDISPUTED ATTITUDE CDs on the cheap I'll definitely snake those, no problem. It's just that there are sooooo many CDs and not enough $$, so Slayer are way down on my never-ending shopping list.

I gotta go with you on that. I wish I could win the lottery ! Oh, and why is Schbopo (or whatever) now appearing as Guest ? Did I miss something ?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:51 pm

007 wrote:
I gotta go with you on that. I wish I could win the lottery!

I played the Lotto in hopes that I can do that. I have given it up and now I just have to wait and get me a rich wife Smile . All kidding aside, I just have to learn how to be patient and get what I can get when I can get it. I have reserved myself to the fact that wealth will elude me and I will be happy just to be middle class.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next