Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ugly Kid Joe?

Go down 
+14
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
akeldama
thejokeriv
James B.
the sentinel
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
skullsmasher
jstate
manny
mc666
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Menace To Sobriety is an album I recommend all the time. It's killer!

Right on. 🤘 See, Eyesore knows the deal. I love MENACE TO SOBRIETY as well. And as I said earlier, it can usually be found pretty cheap cuz it sold approximately a dozen copies upon its initial release. Smile

Now, MOTEL CALIFORNIA, on the other hand... not so much. Although that song "Sandwich" is pretty damn funny. ("She was a good witch, she was a bad witch, but all I wanted was a muthaf***in sandwich!" - sheer poetry!)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:44 pm

Motel California was a good album, but seemed something like a contract filler. They peaked with Menace. But hey, I dig all their albums. They've always been underrated because of that one goofy hit single. A lot of people think The Offspring are a goofy punk band, but they just have a goofy song now and then, and generally the mainstream public eats it up. So people assume. Too bad The Offspring is a great punk band, and not at all goofy outside of four or five songs.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 2:58 pm

America's Least Wanted is one of my favorite albums of the early 90s. Everything About You and Neighbor are two of my favorite songse ever and I always break out the air guitar and scream/sing along with them (one time I threw out my neck while banging around to the fast part after the guitar solo to EAY). I would never have been able to get it without the censored cover (my dad would never let me get something could be percieved as mocking America or containing the middle finger). Strange how SNL's Pat was in the video for Neighbor and was featured in the intro to EAY. And I agree that Crane is an awesome vocalist.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:18 pm

I used to worship these guys. When I started playing drums I always wanted a picture on the front so when these guys came out they had the little kid with the middle finger on their front cover so I painted it on a bass drum head.

I miss these guys I wish they would have stuck around. Whitfield sang in Life Of Agony for a while and I was hoping they would have recorded something with him singing but that never happened. Hes also been in a lot of other bands but still havent heard any of them either except for one song. Hes a good singer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 8:20 pm

I think they're a great band. One of the few great bands that can pull off killer covers of standards in rock/metal and also write amazing original work.

Iced Earth September 22nd! had to throw that in there lol IE OWNZ!!!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 11:41 pm

I don't care for their novelty tunes, but hidden behind that is some fine music. I have everything they ever did, and I like something off each album. I even like Motel California.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17154

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 am

I heard they came up with their band name from a joke about the band "Pretty Boy Floyd". Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 3:27 am

troublezone wrote:
I heard they came up with their band name from a joke about the band "Pretty Boy Floyd". Laughing

Yup, before they were signed they were known as "S.W.A.T." (Suburban White Alcoholic Trash) and got booked to open for Pretty Boy Floyd. They thought that naming themselves "Ugly Kid Joe" for that one show would look funny when both band's names went up on the club marquee. The show ended up getting cancelled but they liked the name so much that they stuck with it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:26 am

troublezone wrote:

That's the truth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:57 am

Eyesore wrote:
Motel California was a good album, but seemed something like a contract filler.

There are a couple of OK songs on MOTEL CALIFORNIA but most of it just kinda sits there. They seemed to be trying to bring back some of the "funky" element heard on the EP, but at the expense of the heavier side heard on MENACE. It came out sounding like a plain ol' nothing special 90s rock album.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks to this thread I listened to the only Ugly Kid Joe cd I own " America's Least Wanted" and it has been a long time since I spun this disc and enjoyed the hell out of the album, so thanks for making me reevalute this ignored gem in my cd collection.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 pm

manny wrote:
Thanks to this thread I listened to the only Ugly Kid Joe cd I own " America's Least Wanted" and it has been a long time since I spun this disc and enjoyed the hell out of the album, so thanks for making me reevalute this ignored gem in my cd collection.

You're welcome. Laughing That's what we're here for, to shine light on the lost gems of metal! 🤘

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 6:48 am

Picked up three UKJ cds lately: america's, menace and motel.

The first 2 are particularly enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 8:11 am

Such an underrated band. Really looking forward to the new album.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe?   Ugly Kid Joe? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ugly Kid Joe?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2