Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Empty
PostSubject: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 5:02 pm

This is the first review I had ever written and posted it on Amazon, I copied and posted it here to get feedback on what you guys think, opinions welcomed please.
I have owned these albums for years on vinyl and even after all this time I still look at these albums as more curios than real Doors albums, which I know it is really unfair to the band since Morrison would have been the first to say that The Doors were a real band not just him leading a group of sidemen.
The music contained on these albums are good but for better or worse Jim Morrison had already become a cultural icon, and no matter how good these albums maybe it will always pale compared to earlier releases and compared to the legend of their frontman.
Lets talk about the music, the music sounds like The Doors, I am Horny I am Stoned sounds like it could have been an outtake from The Soft parade, "Ships without Sails" is an excellent song and it is too bad Morrison did not come back from Paris layed vocals on this track, it probably would have become their biggest singals hit since " Light My Fire".
Tightrope Ride expresses Ray Manzarek's sadness and anger at Jim's loss, "we're on a tightrope ride/Nobody by yourside/You are all alone/Better find a new Home/Don't go over the line or you'll lose your mind"
The music on both albums are of a transitional nature, this are three musicians who have endured the cultural maelstorm of the 60's and have come out of it on the otherside but not without loss, and now trying to find their way back thru the only medium they know which is their art, I think if the albums had been released under any other name but The Doors the albums may have been more readily accepted, but you cannot climb or escape the shadow of one's own past.
Since these albums were created 37 years ago the legend of the band and the frontman as grown, leaving theses albums not just an epitaph for Jim Morrison and closing the final chapters on The Doors, but is also fitting epitaph for the 60's itself.
I would recommend these albums but keep in mind the spirit they were created in.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 8:38 pm

It makes me want to check them out. Good review Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:54 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
It makes me want to check them out. Good review Very Happy

Thank you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Manny, are these rare or pretty easy to get a hold of?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 10:20 pm

spectrefate wrote:

They are not diffcult to buy you can always find them as a two for one
CD set on Amazon or Ebay very easily usually for about $25-30 sometimes
as low as $15, if you buy it on vinyl even easier to get. They have
never been reissued in the States on cd, I believe Elektra only
released them in Germany and maybe one or two other countries.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 11:45 am

spectrefate wrote:

Spec if you want me to burn a cdr copy let me know, it is taken
directly from the vinyl copies so you will hear all hisses and pops but
no skips.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 10:44 pm

manny wrote:

Spec if you want me to burn a cdr copy let me know, it is taken
directly from the vinyl copies so you will hear all hisses and pops but
no skips.

Thanks for the offer. But I just found an inexpensive Russian issue of both albums on one disc that I ordered on your recommendation. Smile
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:06 am

I agree with you manny, I think Other Voices was the better of the two and I think Full Circle lost its direction at times but all in all they're good listens, I'd have liked to have heard Jim Morrison sing "Ships Without Sails" as well. Good review, manny. I got mine as an import 2 discs on 1 quite a while back, BTW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds   review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

review of The Doors-Other Voices/Full circle cds
Page 1 of 1