Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

rainbow

Go down 
+6
akeldama
the sentinel
iamrockerfun
Wargod
journeyman
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Rainbow one of my favorite bands in all line ups and musical shifts that occured during the original run and I even like Strangers in Us All, that at times was so gothic sounding had the urge to go pull a sword out of stone. Featured Ritchie Blackmore one of my favorite guitar players and during its lifetime featured 4 vocalist, 5 bassist, 5 drummers, and 7 keyboardist. They went from gothic metal fronted band featuring Ronnie James Dio, to Graham Bonnet straddling the fence between pop metal to more traditional hard rock to era of radio friendly let me embrace my inner journey Joe Lynn Turner to the short lived Doogie White era in the mid 90's, which line up and album do you prefer and how do hold agaisnt up Deep Purple IYO?
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 9:11 am

I am a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore and think his work with Deep Purple was better than that of Rainbow. Ritchie was the boss in Rainbow and had the last word on all things, but with Deep Purple he was in a band and had one vote. With that being said, I will tell you that Rainbow put out some really good stuff. I too like all of the phases of Rainbow. With each new vocalist the sound and focus changed and that was interesting. I think that it is a toss up between Dio and Turner. They both had some really good songs. I wasn't a big fan of the whole medieval theme of the Dio era albums, but the music rocked.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 9:19 am

To me the first lineup was best simply rawked with Dio!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 10:26 am

good news are that new band called OVER THE RAINBOW will be touring over Russia in February and continues over EU maybe US later.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 pm

According to today's paper Roger Glover, current bassist for Deep Purple, formerly with Rainbow turns 63 today.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Rainbow is awesome!!! Long Live Rock and Roll is one of my top 20 fave albums of all time. I like all incarnations of the band, but the Dio years are imho the best.
Back to top Go down

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 3:14 pm

My Dad turned me onto Rainbow, he saw them at a festival in Germany with Dio and became a fan. He said that was by far the loudest concert he ever saw.

He had the debut, Rising and Long Live Rock N Roll...we jammed all 3 one evening and I've been a fan ever since. Later on one of my friends turned me onto the post-Dio work which I also enjoy, but to me the first few albums are where it's at.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Great band. The first four albums with Dio are great. Rising has to be one of the greatest albums of all-time.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:51 pm

I think the most underated Rainbow is " Down to Earth". Poor Graham Bonnett had the task of not only replacing Ronnie James Dio, but had to help Ritchie Blackmore take Rainbow into a more commerical direction, which they would do more successfully with Joe Lynn Turner.

I felt " Down to Earth" was a great lost Rainbow album, where they tired to bridge the two worlds from what Rainbow was to what Rainbow where to become.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 am

Great great band! I`m a fan of all their albums and styles..
No matter what direrction they took, the were always among the best imo.
Bonnett did agreat job on Down to Earth, still one of my favorite Rainbow albums..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:16 pm

I like the first 3 albums with Dio. After that, the stuff I heard didn't do a thing for me. I still have the double disc Greatest Hits, but I can't remember the last time I played disc 2 with the 80's material. All Night Long? sick

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Their best song ever is "Stargazer".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Like echoed by others, the Dio years hold the best for me. I will go out on a limb here and say that Bonnets best singing (that I've heard) is on his Rainbow release. The Turner years were NOT APPRECIATED by me back in the day, but in hindsight, I see that for the style they performed in, it was very solid and good. Haven't heard the latest incarnation sorry to say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rainbow Empty
PostSubject: Re: rainbow   rainbow Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rainbow
Page 1 of 1