Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Remember Tomorrow

Go down 
+16
GrandNational
Orion Crystal Ice
Smindas
kmorg
Rex
Fat Freddy
MoonChild
7thSecond
MetalGuy71
Velvet Creation
the sentinel
mc666
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
DeathCult
James B.
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 2:33 pm

I say it's of little consequence solely because Kerrang! is a UK magazine, published weekly. Each issue disappears quick and it's only available to a small part of the world. They do export to the US and such, but issues with CDs and whatnot generally don't get that treatment.

Either way, I don't find the song to be that bad. Amazing? Not at all. But then again, Maiden isn't amazing. Haha!

Cover songs are polarizing things by nature, and often they lack that artistic passion simply because it's not the band's own song. Some bands release entire covers albums like this. What can you do? I don't know a single band that has always done killer covers, unless it's a band like Solitude Aeturnus that has only done a few.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 2:44 pm

I liked it.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 2:49 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

What about
Whiskey in the Jar. I heard the original first before I heard metallicas version and I think metallica put the song together a lot better than Thin Lizzy did.
Turn the page the original is ok but metallica just turned it into a monster.
Not to mention all the Diamond Head covers, Black Sabbath pretty much Garage Inc was awesome. Except I didnt care for Tuesdays Gone since it seemed to just drag on.
Also the whole garage days re revisted album. So to say they make horrible covers is just wrooooooooooooong lol

Sorry to disagree brother, the original Whiskey in the Jar is awesome and the cover is "pukeable" IMHO. Metallica made a mess of Smoke on the Water and Sabbra Cadabra (as in the case of most other songs). The only exception, as I see it is, Turn the Page.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 2:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I say it's of little consequence solely because Kerrang! is a UK magazine, published weekly. Each issue disappears quick and it's only available to a small part of the world. They do export to the US and such, but issues with CDs and whatnot generally don't get that treatment.

Either way, I don't find the song to be that bad. Amazing? Not at all. But then again, Maiden isn't amazing. Haha!

Cover songs are polarizing things by nature, and often they lack that artistic passion simply because it's the band's own song. Some bands release entire covers albums like this. What can you do? I don't know a single band that has always done killer covers.

I understand that point of view but remember whoever purchases said magazine and free bonus disc of tunes can "share" the songs on the world wide web that Al Gore so kindly invented for all of us. Freddy (I believe) posted a link from YouTube who gets visited my millions daily of this particular tune. (edit-spectre gets the credit)

Regarding cover tunes....Great White has done quite a few cover songs with equal measure of both compassion and performance. I guess i expected too much from metallica ? I'll dig through a box of old TDK cassette tapes and find a recording of 5 high school kids at a keg party doing "remember tommorow" from 1981 and compare the "passion"

I still stand on the belief that it was done for the sake of a paycheck and to honor Maiden wasn't the intent of anybody playing on Metallica's version.

Last edited by James B. on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 2:56 pm

It was good up until the bridge part where they were trying to heavy it up. James did a good job I think. Very reminiscent of the punk-delivery Paul used to have.

I'd love to have the tribute disc.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 4:09 pm

James B. wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer states....

Quote :
Not trying to start anything so dont take it that way

Didn't and understand where you're coming from

oh haha I just didnt want you to think im being a jerk to you or anything.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 4:20 pm

kmorg wrote:
It was good up until the bridge part where they were trying to heavy it up. James did a good job I think. Very reminiscent of the punk-delivery Paul used to have.

I'd love to have the tribute disc.
It's not a great tribute disc. My friend picked up the Kerrang issue and aside from a few covers, it's a bit weak. Machine Head do a surprisingly awesome 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' though.

As for 'Remember Tomorrow', I think it's a decent cover. Nothing special, but not offensive either.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 4:46 pm

I've heard the Machine Head cover. It isn't the worst thing ever.... but it's not in key (if you can't sing it, that's cool, but just pick a different song!), and the rhythm section is really choppy at times..
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 7:46 pm

It's OK. Too many bands have already covered this. I prefer the Anthrax and Opeth cover versions more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 3:53 am

I like it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Ever hear the Crowbar version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w759AI7J8LE
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 4:55 pm

i have it on the tribute cd and i cant listen to that cd at all it blows big time. the metallica cover is rubbish i have only heard a little bit of the song cos i cant bear to hear one of my favourite songs sung by the most innapropriate singer ever for it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:11 pm

I like the Gallows cover of Wrathchild in that tribute, and Dream theater's cover of To Tame a Land. Avenged Sevenfold just crapped all over Flash of the Blade, and that's sad because it seemed an interesting choice.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:14 pm

the dream theater cover is the best one i feel from what i heard of the songs on that cd
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 8:57 pm

troublezone wrote:
Ever hear the Crowbar version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w759AI7J8LE

It's crap sick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Yeah, when he sings, that guy from Crowbar sounds like he's having a really hard time passing a kidney stone. I have no clue why they are covering a Maiden song.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 5:35 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Yeah, when he sings, that guy from Crowbar sounds like he's having a really hard time passing a kidney stone. I have no clue why they are covering a Maiden song.

That's the whole point a different take on a song. If you want the original just listen to the original. Sometimes new takes are fun to listen to. Anyone that knows about Crowbar knows they are rough around the edges and are out to be heavy not pretty. One of the singer's main influences is Lemmy. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 11:49 am

As far as cover songs go it's not bad, the intro was a nice touch.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:07 pm

pijuyo wrote:
I like the Gallows cover of Wrathchild in that tribute, and Dream theater's cover of To Tame a Land. Avenged Sevenfold just crapped all over Flash of the Blade, and that's sad because it seemed an interesting choice.

YES!!! That is exactly how I feel about the AS cover. The music wasn't bad but the vocals were awful. The only other song that I thought was horrible was Devildriver-Wasted Years. Death vocals DO NOT belong on that song-one of my favorite Maiden songs-IMO. Strangly enough I really like the Madina Lake cover. IMO Dream Theater's cover was the best (not suprising considering they are my favorite band on that disc).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
plancha7
Metal novice
Metal novice
plancha7

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:39 am

I really like it apart from the drums being far too loud in the mix. I bet Lars sneaked into the studio late at night disguised as a Mexican janitor and tweaked the levels in his favor like Dio and Appice (apocryphally) did with Mob Rules.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:45 am

plancha7 wrote:
I really like it apart from the drums being far too loud in the mix. I bet Lars sneaked into the studio late at night disguised as a Mexican janitor and tweaked the levels in his favor like Dio and Appice (apocryphally) did with Mob Rules.

I thought that urban legend was about Live Evil.
Back to top Go down
plancha7
Metal novice
Metal novice
plancha7

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 10:01 am

[quote="detuned"]
plancha7 wrote:
I thought that urban legend was about Live Evil.
You are, of course, correct.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remember Tomorrow   Remember Tomorrow - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Remember Tomorrow
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2