Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound

Go down 
+4
nevermore
MetalH
GrandNational
rattpoison
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Empty
PostSubject: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 1:08 am

Earl Greyhound

Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Eg

These guys and gal are probably my fav new band, their record Soft Targets (2006) is one of the most inspired, dynamic and soulful hard rock albums i've heard.

Superficially i guess it's easy to compare them to King's X, cause how many multi racial power trio's are going around?....but their made of the same stuff as King's X.....really heavy muscular grooves, Beatles harmonies, multi soulful vocalists and even a hint of Ty Tabor guitars in there.

The male/female vocal interplay between Kamara and Matt is great and drummer Big Ricc hit's harder than anyone you'll hear...but that's not to say he doesn't show finesse. The guy is just one of the best drummer's going around at the moment.

.....Anyway if you ain't going to listen to me then no less of an authority Dug Pinnick calls them his new favourite band as well.

http://www.myspace.com/earlgreyhound

Earl Greyhound - S.O.S promo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 am

What a coinkydink. I just ordered Soft Targets and a self-titled EP the other day. They sound great! Hope the albums are as good as the samples I heard.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 1:43 am

Eyesore wrote:
What a coinkydink. I just ordered Soft Targets and a self-titled EP the other day. They sound great! Hope the albums are as good as the samples I heard.

Oh yeah that album is great, i've been listening to it non stop for the last couple of weeks since i ordered it through my local record shop. I can't believe i haven't been listening to it for the last 2 years. Talk about under the radar.

Easily one of the best albums released in this decade imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 1:46 am

rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Oh yeah that album is great, i've been listening to it non stop for the last couple of weeks since i ordered it through my local record shop. I can't believe i haven't been listening to it for the last 2 years. Talk about under the radar.

Easily one of the best albums released in this decade imo.
It's been out two years? Damn. Wonder why they're getting exposure now?
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 1:50 am

Some times it takes a while to sink in.....

....But i guess appearances at SXSW and a support slot to Chris Cornell last year would have raised their profile.

Where did you hear about them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 am

rattpoison wrote:
Where did you hear about them?
Nowhere very recently. I've heard mention of them on a few forums over the past few months, had their albums in my cart at Amazon.com for a long time. Then when I went to buy a book (for $0.09...awesome) the other day, I saw that the used prices for those two albums had dropped even lower (used) than those in my cart. So I added to cheapest ones and places the order. The EP was $1.99 and the full-length was $4.98, or something like that.

Colour Haze is another band I've been hearing a lot about lately, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:51 am

Wow. Great stuff! Straight to the wantlist.

Notice the drummer crossing his sticks? Could that be in homage to an influence? There is definitely a KX influence there.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:23 pm

You'll love it Sax, hard rock for the soul.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 1:18 am

Nice, this will make Glenn Hughes very happy!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Anyone picked this up yet....Eyesore, Saxon?

What do ya think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 12:54 am

rattpoison wrote:

What do ya think?
You know what? Thanks for the reminder. I got the full-length a good while back, but the EP has not shown up yet. Guess I'll go to Amazon and complain. Not used to buying from them.

Anyway, I love the full-length. I don't hear a lot of King's X in them, but they're definitely excellent!

EDIT: Jesus! I ordered those CDs on July 15th! I guess Amazon seller gohastings sucks ass!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 1:49 am

Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:

What do ya think?
Anyway, I love the full-length. I don't hear a lot of King's X in them, but they're definitely excellent!

Yeah i used the heading as a grab....but on S.O.S you can hear it alot and throughout odd parts in the songs. A bit of Soundgarden as well, unstandable considering both are mining that heavy Zeppelin and sweet Beatles sound.

More made of the same elements as King's X but takes those elements into something new, cool and different.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 10:40 am

Wow, this sounds amazing. Takes me back to old Kings X! Kings X is in my top 10 fave bands, so bands that are influenced by them definitely interest me. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Would you believe that frickin EP showed up today! lol!

And I got this e-mail from gohasting:

Quote :
Hello and thank you for your email. We apologize that you did not receive your order. We shipped your order out on 7/24 so you should have received it by now. Since you have not received your order in the allotted time, we have submitted this order for a refund. This should post back to your method of payment in 7-10 business days (dependant upon your banks policies).

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. We value our relationships with our customers. If there is anything further that we can do to assist you, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Haha. I e-mailed back and told them to stop that refund. But isn't this just typical? This has happened to me so many times before. I complain/inquire about a CD not showing up after a long time, and then it shows up that day or the next and I feel like a turd. Haha.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 7:29 pm

I checked out the samples on their myspace site. Great stuff!!! I'm going to have to get this!
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 2:15 pm

I don't really hear King's X in it either. I'm more reminded of Lenny Kravitz to be honest. Not crazy about thier "retro" look either. Music isn't band. Doesn't compare to King's X though, in my opinion....
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Selvmord wrote:
I don't really hear King's X in it either. I'm more reminded of Lenny Kravitz to be honest. Not crazy about thier "retro" look either. Music isn't band. Doesn't compare to King's X though, in my opinion....

It's there....those heavy funky grooves, Beatles harmonies, soulful multi vocalists etc. which spells something....could be either Lenny Kravitz or King's X, which is not so far fetched considering both early on weren't as far removed from each other as one might think!

That's why i would think anyone who likes the unique music of King's X would like Earl Greyhound, not because it sounds exactly like them but because their made from the same musical bits and pieces that made us love King's X in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 pm

New Earl Greyhound album came out in April, apparently. I just ordered the CD plus digital download (I dig when bands do this). Currently downloading it now.

Sounds awesome, though!

(Can someone move this out of the (silly) RIP section?)
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:47 pm

As Ken has added some new news on this band as well as a clip from their new album...I revived the thread...but wasnt sure where to put it...I know KING'S X posts reside here and these guys are on par I'd say...

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Shiney wrote:
As Ken has added some new news on this band as well as a clip from their new album...I revived the thread...but wasnt sure where to put it...I know KING'S X posts reside here and these guys are on par I'd say...

If Nelson and Velvet Revolver get to stay in this room.....
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 10:25 pm

This probably should go in the other room. It's not quite hard rock, though it does touch upon some 70s grooves and whatnot. But it's more psychadelic and prog-alternative, I guess.

Gave this new one a listen on the way home (most of it anyway), and it's fantabulous. Such a great band!

Where the hell has rattpoison gone to anyway?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 1:31 am

Can someone bump this outta the dungeon?

http://earlgreyhound.bandcamp.com

New EP from these cats. Apparently the first tunes they ever wrote, newly remixed, coming out on limited-edition vinyl (limited to 250). They don't sound like throwaway tracks, though.

Immediate download upon purchase, or just download it for $3.96. I still think many of you will love this band.

And Kamara, the bassist, has a side-project called Kamara Thomas & The Ghost Gamblers.

Not quite as rockin', as you can hear. But some of you might dig it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 am

The stuff on Bandcamp sounds like a blend of Foo Fighters and Sloan...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The stuff on Bandcamp sounds like a blend of Foo Fighters and Sloan...
I never got the King's X comparison. I just don't hear it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound   Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oi King's X fans! Earl Greyhound
Page 1 of 1