Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Earl Slick

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Earl Slick Empty
PostSubject: Earl Slick   Earl Slick Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Here's a guy with as artsy a pedigree as you could imagine (David Bowie, Ian Hunter, John Lennon, Robert Smith, etc.); but he also had his own hard rock band in the 70's. Unfortunately (by their own admission) their two albums were ruined by drug abuse in the studio. They sounded like they were playing by numbers, and were rightfully ignored for the most part. However buried beneath their studio failures there exists a CD called "Live 1976" which is documents a performance before an audience at a Rochester NY radio station. They seemed relatively sober for this performance, and showed they could tear it up pretty good when they had a mind to. Anybody hurting for some fairly fresh gritty midwestern hard rock might check out this live CD. It's a huge improvement over their studio albums.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Earl Slick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earl Slick   Earl Slick Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 pm

I liked the Phantom Rocker and Slick project. I heard the song "Men Without Shame" and went out and bought the vinyl.

Now that I think about it, I need to see if that was ever released on CD.

Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

Earl Slick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earl Slick   Earl Slick Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 3:45 pm

& John Waite Smile He did a nice job of playing the Mick Ronson guitar parts with Bowie.

I have one of the Earl Slick Band lp's & I have to admit I was never impressed very much by it. Earl did not write the songs, I would guess they used his name for the band to help sell records.

Earl will always be the hired gun, Good gig if you can get it.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Earl Slick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earl Slick   Earl Slick Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Yeah, Jimmy Mack wrote the songs. On the live album the songs hold up pretty well IMO. I think it was the stiff stoned playing that made them sound bad in the studio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Earl Slick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earl Slick   Earl Slick Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Earl Slick
Page 1 of 1