Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ye Olde Metal

Go down 
+5
Stender
Metal Misfit
rattpoison
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
9 posters
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Has anyone ever heard of these books written by Martin Popoff? I believe my guitarist is friends with this guy or something because he always sends me emails on the new books hes working on.

Heres the newest email I got. This might be of interest to someone here.
Ye Olde Metal: 1977

This is the fourth of the series, and the follow-up to Ye Olde Metal: 1976, Ye Olde Metal: 1973 To 1975 and Ye Olde Metal: 1968 To 1972. Like those, it’s also limited to 1,000 copies, signed by me, and it’s numbered.

For those not in the loop yet, what I’m doing with this is detailed examinations of classic old albums, using new interviews with guys in the bands, maybe a little available press here and there. These are examinations of albums that are way more exhaustive than any commercially viable (!) book would ever dare. You know me, I just love getting the stories, no matter how many people care anymore. This one’s expanded a bit with the photos, cool old ads, 45 sleeves and just general variation in images. The book is 247 pages, highest word count yet, full trade 6” x 9” dimension, and stuffed with trivia folks ain’t never heard before – I guarantee it.

The chapters this time:

Derringer – Sweet Evil, 21 pages
Angel – On Earth As It Is In Heaven, 22 pages
Sweet – Off The Record, 16 pages
Moxy – Ridin’ High, 10 pages
The Dictators – Manifest Destiny, 12 pages
Triumph – Rock & Roll Machine, 12 pages
Styx – Grand Illusion, 8 pages
Motorhead – Motorhead, 12 pages
Lone Star – Firing On All Six, 19 pages
Dirty Tricks – Hit & Run, 8 pages
Piper – Can’t Wait, 14 pages
Goddo – Goddo, 13 pages
Ram Jam – Ram Jam, 8 pages
Rex – Where Do We Go From Here?, 14 pages
Point Blank – Second Season, 14 pages
Hydra – Rock The World, 10 pages
Legs Diamond – A Diamond Is A Hard Rock, 14 pages

So yeah, the next one in the series will cover 1978, then 1979, one per year likely well into the ‘80s, at least. But yeah, the idea is that this is a pretty strange, obscure thing to try, and the hope is that people will “collect ‘em all,” the whole thing making a l’il heavy metal encyclopedia set as they show up, a series, a cool bunch of collectible books.

Price including shipping:
US orders: $31.00 US funds
Int'l orders (surface mail): $33.00 US funds
Int'l orders (air mail): $40.00 US funds
Canadian orders: $29.00 Cdn. funds

PayPal happily accepted! Direct funds to martinp@inforamp.net

Or… send payment to (personal check in US funds, cash, or INTERNATIONAL money order):
Martin Popoff
P.O. Box 65208, 358 Danforth Ave.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M4K 2Z2

Email me at martinp@inforamp.net with any further questions, and see www.martinpopoff.com for descriptions, covers and ordering info for my other available dozen or so books. Nice savings on shipping can be had if you take a few things, and as you know, I’m always good for swingin’ a deal for two books or more. Just email me for a quote. The first three Ye Olde Metals are still available!

Thanks!
Martin

See www.martinpopoff.com for info on my 21 books, including:
Judas Priest: Heavy Metal Painkillers (brand new, 380 pages, 541 graphics!)
Ye Olde Metal: 1973 To 1975 (numbered and limited!)
Ye Olde Metal: 1968 To 1972 (numbered and limited!)

Martin Popoff, PO Box 65208,
358 Danforth Ave., Toronto, ON M4K 2Z2
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 10:41 pm

For $31 a pop I'll wait till he gets into the 80s so there'll be more bands/albums I'm somewhat familiar with.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 10:44 pm

This series is really cool, i have a few of his books.

Just worth it to read about the Dictators Manifest Destiny.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 10:45 pm

I haven't heard of that series, but I've been meaning to order any of Popoff's books for years.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Its a cool thing he's doing, but yeah a little pricey for me too right now.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 10:47 pm

sounds cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 11:51 pm

I haven't seen that book, but it looks like a great read. I like Popoff's writing because he can totally pan something, yet still describe it well enough that I usually know that I might like it even though he hates it. I think it's a critic's job to describe music rather than to make up the consumer's mind for them.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 12:01 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I haven't seen that book, but it looks like a great read. I like Popoff's writing because he can totally pan something, yet still describe it well enough that I usually know that I might like it even though he hates it. I think it's a critic's job to describe music rather than to make up the consumer's mind for them.

Yeah he's a great writer probably the best on Metal other than Chuck Eddy, who for different reasons is incredibly hilarious although metal purists wouldn't like his style.

You ever read that hatchet job of a book "Stairway To Hell: 500 Best Heavy Metal Albums In The Universe" by Chuck Eddy?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 12:19 am

i don't care for Popoff's opinions on the more extreme side of metal. which has always been my favorite.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:54 pm

mc666 wrote:
i don't care for Popoff's opinions on the more extreme side of metal. which has always been my favorite.

I don't care for many of Popoff's opinions on many albums (although he has become a lot less critical in recent years-I try to keep up with his reviews in Hardradio.com). In "The Collector's Guide To Heavy Metal" many of his reviews had me shaking my head.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

Ye Olde Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ye Olde Metal   Ye Olde Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ye Olde Metal
Page 1 of 1