Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rockumentary books

Go down 
+2
rattpoison
Troublezone
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 7:17 am

What music related dockumentary books have you read and recommend? I was looking into maybe checking out the Motley Crue one or the Slash one that just came out.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 am

Some great rock n' roll books i've read....

Whores: An Oral Biography Of Perry Farrell and Jane's Addiction and All Over But The Shouting: An Oral History Of The Replacements are both great books that follows the bands with "been there" anecdotes, thoughts and history from band members and anyone that was connected with the bands. Their should be more books in this style.

Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Star: Ian Hunter of Mott the Hoople:Great little book recounting Mott's '72 US tour and all that went on.
Neighbourhood Threat: On Tour With Iggy Pop:Proves Andy McCoy really is a nut.
The New York Dolls: Too Much Too Soon:Heartbreaking but ultimately endearing book on a band running too fast that they broke their legs and watched everyone else go by.
The One And Only: Peter Perett, Homme Fatale:Genius + Drugs = Private Hell which is recounted so well in this great book.

...are some of the best i've read, but for sheer unadulterated rock n' roll debauchery and excess these two take the cake.

Wonderland Avenue: About the Doors and Manager Danny Sugarman.
F*cked By Rock:The impossible tales of rock n' roll excess as told by Zodiac Mindwarp. Twisted beyond belief.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 9:45 am

Motley Crue's "The Dirt" was a fantastic read (and I'm not even that big of a Crue fan). After reading it the things I found most amazing were that not only did all four of those guys survive the 80s, but that they had enough brain cells left afterwards to remember enough to write it down!!

"Lords of Chaos" (forget the author's name now; it's been a while since I read it) is a very interesting book (a bit dry in spots) about the early 90s Norwegian Black Metal boom and all of the associated weirdness (i.e. murders, church burnings, and general anti-social behavior) that came with it. Even if you're not a Black Metal fan (I'm not) you won't be able to put this one down. You'll also wonder how some of those people involved were walking around loose for so long.

"No One Here Gets Out Alive" by Danny Sugarman is a great bio about Jim Morrison and the Doors.

Ian Christe's "Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal" is a thorough look at the history of our beloved genre.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 10:12 am

I had "Lords of Chaos" but lost it years ago.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 11:47 pm

"Walk This Way" Aerosmith biography is awesome.

"Hammer of the Gods; The Led Zeppelin saga" is fantastic. It's written by the same guy who wrote "No One Here Gets Out Alive".

"Take a Walk of the Darkside; Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses" by R. Gary Patterson. Lot's of interesting darkness about bands like the Allman Bros. and Lynyrd Skynyrd and such.

"KISS; Behind the Mask" it includes an interview from the 70s and one from the reunion tour along with the stories and recording process of every song in the KISS catalog.

"The Real Frank Zappa Book" If you like Zappa you'll love this book, written by the man himself back in 1989 I think.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 12:16 am

I'm ALWAYS on the look out for rock 'n' roll books, here's a handful that I love. I'll highlight what I feel is essential reading.

-"The Dirt" by Motley Crue (the measuring stick for all rock band biographies!)
-"The Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx (not as entertaining or fun as "The Dirt", it is a diary afterall, but it makes for a nice companion piece)
-"Slash" by Slash (I picked this one up out of boredom and ended up loving it, a really good look into the inner circle of GNR)
-"W.A.R.: The Unauthorized Biography of W. Axl Rose" by Mick Wall (Wall seems have a vendetta against Rose, but it's still a very interesting read and really focuses more on GNR than Axl)
-"Life On Planet Rock" by Lonn Friend
-"American Hair Metal" by Steven Blush (a breezy coffee table book, but still really fun if you're into that genre)
-"Sound of the Beast" by Ian Christe (awesome look at the history of metal)
-"Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Metal" by David Konow (another really good look at metal)
-"The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal" by Daniel Bukszpan (coffee table book with tons of interesting band bios, famous and obscure)
-"KISS Alive Forever: The Complete Touring History" by Curt Gooch & Jeff Suhs (the book Gene & Paul don't want you to read! Complete listing of all their perfomances up to somewhere in '01, I believe. Tons of info on each concert and entertaining road stories from past crew members and overviews on the tours themselves, if you're a KISS fan, you need this book)
-"KISS and Sell: The Making of a Supergroup" by CK Lendt (Lendt was once a member of their financial team and it's really a book about their financial success/failures during his tenure than any attempt at doing a bio on them)
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 2:14 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
I'm ALWAYS on the look out for rock 'n' roll books, here's a handful that I love. I'll highlight what I feel is essential reading.

-"The Dirt" by Motley Crue (the measuring stick for all rock band biographies!)
-"The Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx (not as entertaining or fun as "The Dirt", it is a diary afterall, but it makes for a nice companion piece)
-"Slash" by Slash (I picked this one up out of boredom and ended up loving it, a really good look into the inner circle of GNR)
-"W.A.R.: The Unauthorized Biography of W. Axl Rose" by Mick Wall (Wall seems have a vendetta against Rose, but it's still a very interesting read and really focuses more on GNR than Axl)
-"Life On Planet Rock" by Lonn Friend
-"American Hair Metal" by Steven Blush (a breezy coffee table book, but still really fun if you're into that genre)
-"Sound of the Beast" by Ian Christe (awesome look at the history of metal)
-"Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Metal" by David Konow (another really good look at metal)
-"The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal" by Daniel Bukszpan (coffee table book with tons of interesting band bios, famous and obscure)
-"KISS Alive Forever: The Complete Touring History" by Curt Gooch & Jeff Suhs (the book Gene & Paul don't want you to read! Complete listing of all their perfomances up to somewhere in '01, I believe. Tons of info on each concert and entertaining road stories from past crew members and overviews on the tours themselves, if you're a KISS fan, you need this book)
-"KISS and Sell: The Making of a Supergroup" by CK Lendt (Lendt was once a member of their financial team and it's really a book about their financial success/failures during his tenure than any attempt at doing a bio on them)

Thanks for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 8:30 pm

The first Rockumentary book i've read was DLR's Crazy from the Heat.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Rockumentary books 511JKFTTBVL._SL500_AA240_1st Edition
Rockumentary books ProductImage2nd Edition (The one I have)
Rockumentary books 51ZP393DJZL._SL500_AA240_3rd Editon (one I have yet to read-didn't know it existed til just now)

PIECE OF CRAP!!!! NEITHER PHOTO OF THE SECOND ONE SHOWS UP!!!!!!!!!1 angry angry angry angry
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

Rockumentary books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rockumentary books   Rockumentary books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rockumentary books
Page 1 of 1