Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever

Go down 
+8
tohostudios
manny
rattpoison
325ad
Stender
thejokeriv
akeldama
scottmitchell74
12 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Empty
PostSubject: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:03 pm

http://www.newsweek.com/id/204478

What do you think?

I think the list strikes a nice balance. Most (if not all) genres are represented. I've read 11 of those. My interests lie more in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi realm, and even those were mentioned in the list a little.

Not a bad list at all.

Lord Of The Rings (arguably the Fantasy godfather)

The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck nailed it)

Gulliver's Travels (don't remember much of this)

Canterbury Tales ( a high school requirement )

The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe (VERY pleased to see C.S. Lewis included)

To Kill A Mockingbird (A simple yet powerful tale )

The Bible (Many times over. If you're a Believer or not, this is fantastic writing)

Frankenstien (SO, SO pleased to see this. It's such a moving/touching story. Really a tear-jerker if you ask me. Nothing like any of the movies)

Animal Farm (scary and thought provoking)

Lord of the Flies (read this as a teenager. Was floored. Amazing)

Charlotte's Web (As a child. Cute tale with nice undercurrents)

I don't care what anyone says, Stephen King deserved at least ONE book on the list. He's a genious.

List could have seen Bradbury, Wells, Verne and a host of others.

BUT, like I said it was a decent list.

Fun, fun, fun!! Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_biggrin Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:11 pm

A good list IMO, I was glad to see what made #1 & #2 although I could've easily switched the two depending on my mood. Too bad there was no Dean Koontz or Frank Peretti.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:23 pm

akeldama wrote:
A good list IMO, I was glad to see what made #1 & #2 although I could've easily switched the two depending on my mood. Too bad there was no Dean Koontz or Frank Peretti.

Frank Peretti doesn't deserve to be on the list - he's a hack who couldn't cut it as a writer so he started writing "christian" novels.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:31 pm

I was actually suprised at how many of the books I had read. Faulkner's stuff is a weird read - hadn;t read it since college and can;t remember if the books listed used stream of conscience writing
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:40 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I was actually suprised at how many of the books I had read. Faulkner's stuff is a weird read - hadn;t read it since college and can;t remember if the books listed used stream of conscience writing

Best stream of conscience writing...no buts about it is....James joyce.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 1:57 am

They have Virginia Woolf rated too high and Jane Austen not high enough also where is Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" is eye opening turn of the century book changed the way food is packaged and processed forever and basically established the FDA!

Lastly rather you agree or not Mein Kempt belongs somewhere in the top 100
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 2:14 am

I got through the first 4 pages (80 Books) and i'm like where's Tropic of Cancer? And rest assured there it was at 82.

I reckon the list is missing a bit of Dostovesky, Huysmans, Celine, O'Connor, Fante, Plath etc etc etc.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 2:16 am

rattpoison wrote:
I got through the first 4 pages (80 Books) and i'm like where's Tropic of Cancer? And rest assured there it was at 82.

I reckon the list is missing a bit of Dostovesky, Huysmans, Celine, O'Connor, Fante, Plath etc etc etc.

Not to mention Bukowski right? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 9:18 am

Stender wrote:
rattpoison wrote:

That would be correct, sir
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Anna Karenina over War And Peace? I'm surprised A.A. Milne made it but he deserve it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 6:06 pm

I am surprised that I have read most of the books that make up this list.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Glad to see Brave New World, Clockwork Orange and Slaughterhouse Five on the list.

I've read most of the books on the list but these three are the only ones I read "voluntarily".

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 7:34 pm

Did I miss it, or did they not have "Of Mice and Men"?
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Stender wrote:
rattpoison wrote:

As much as i love him i don't reckon say Post Office should be in there as one of the 100 greatest books ever (It'd be in mine though!). John Fante's Ask The Dust would be a better inclusion in that style.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 10:05 pm

Interesting list. I've read a few of these as well (mostly required reading in college) but a few I discovered on my own:

Canterbury Tales (I HATED this one...all I remember about it is that it took for-friggin-ever to get through, and by the end I wanted to go dig up Chaucer so I could punch him in the face. Haha.)

The Catcher in the Rye
(one of my favorite "required readings" of my school career)
The Great Gatsby
To Kill a Mockingbird (another excellent book)
A Clockwork Orange (better than the movie, kids)
Hamlet (I took an entire semester of Shakespeare in college. I had to read EVERYTHING.)
King Lear
Othello
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (faaaaaaan-TASTIC book! read it twice!)
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Lord of the Flies

I also remember watching the film versions of "Charlotte's Web" and "Animal Farm" in school but don't remember offhand if we read the books along with it. I assume we must've.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 11:58 am

not a bad list, one of the better one's I've seen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 8:39 am

I preferred the sun also rises over whom the bell tolls by Hemmingway
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 am

I was forced to read 'Canterbury Tales' back in college, and like Freddy I grew to hate that book!!!! Horrid!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:39 am

manny wrote:
I was forced to read 'Canterbury Tales' back in college, and like Freddy I grew to hate that book!!!! Horrid!!!!

I think I read it in high school - either Junior or Senior Year English. About all I remember of it was that it took almost an entire marking period to get through about half of it...cuz the teacher would stop to analyze every frickin' other sentence.

The Olde English writing didn't help either. It was all "When aye waken in the Sommer and softe was the Sunne, I kylled a yunge birde and ate it on a bunne" Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 12:54 pm

I've only read 5 or 6 on that list. Does it count if I saw the movie version? Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever   Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newsweek's list of Top-100 books ever
Page 1 of 1