Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whatever happened to live album jams?

Go down 
+2
SAHB Healer
XYZ
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Whatever happened to live album jams? Empty
PostSubject: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 6:18 pm

I'm a live album mega-fanatic, particularly of those from the 70s. What was so great about albums like Tokyo Tapes, Made In Japan, Live Killers, KISS Alive!, and so many others was that the bands played around with their songs. Jams often got excessive, but isn't that what rock'n'roll was/is about?

I understand that times have changed, but why do so few bands keep this tradition alive?
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 6:53 pm

People today seem to have a shorter attention spans than they did back in the day. The average political ad has been shortened greatly in the last 40 years. After about 5 minutes, people start to zone out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 7:27 pm

Because jamming requires that you understand music and the musicians you're playing with. I assume bands simply can't pull it off like they used to. You can't learn this stuff from Guitar for Dummies.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 7:37 pm

When bands like Wishbone Ash or Status Quo or (my fave) Epitaph would fire up the twin guitars and drive the song down the stretch I go straight to heaven. Jams are alive and well at my house anyway.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Because jamming requires that you understand music and the musicians you're playing with. I assume bands simply can't pull it off like they used to. You can't learn this stuff from Guitar for Dummies.

Very well stated! On a related note, I am listening to Rainbow Live in Germany and they have been jamming this one song for so long I forgot what song it was? Stargazer, I think. scratch
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 10:13 pm

I'm about to be "skewered in the belly" ( affraid) but I hate the extended jam. Hate. I'm using the word hate. About extended jams. Hate.

O.K., that was going over-board, but I really don't care for it. I like 3-5.5 minute songs.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 11:52 pm

I love hearing bands jam if they are good at it say like Dream Theater, i'm not into bands that seem to jam the same thing every song say like The Allman Brothers. Bring the shred on any day..
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 10:43 am

Eyesore wrote:

you cant learn anything from guitar for dummies. i know ive tried
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 pm

Live album pwns!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to live album jams?   Whatever happened to live album jams? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whatever happened to live album jams?
Page 1 of 1